LotR beats John Williams again.

Quintus

Wow, I find these results to be quite revealing.

The thread will be locked if too much discussion that I don't agree with happens though.

Ooh, you're a bitter Pil (see what I did there? :lol: )

As for LOTR being number 1: have the people that voted listened to every single minute of all 9+ hours of the scores, because if so, they would be bored out of their tiny, short-sighted minds. Leave soundtrack-voting to the grown-ups, people who actually know what they are listening to...and what they are listening for! Just piss off and listen to Il Divo, because that's all you deserve.

Didn't you leave? Why are you here? Children, calling others children. Ye gods....

And by the way, the bitter one isn't me, but the one I was impersonating... and he's on your "side."

I care fuck all about a poll that doesn't make a distinction between the scores for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. It doesn't even have The Empire Strikes Back. This thing is invalid.

I care fuck all about a poll that doesn't make a distinction between the scores for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. It doesn't even have The Empire Strikes Back. This thing is invalid.

Obviously prepared by younger "Tragedy of Darth Vader" saga fans.

Obviously prepared by younger "Tragedy of Darth Vader" saga fans.

Watching it unfold was a tragedy of sorts.

Unpopular opinion: SW prequel scores>LOTR scores>SW original trilogy scores>Hobbit scores.

It was one of the most influential soundtracks of the modern era.

Absolutely -- and a stupendous score it is too, whatever all the Zimmer naysayers here (and there are a lot of them) have to say.

I have no problem with the list. It's a poll. So what? A different poll with a different audience might yield different results. For me, these lists have always just been "oh, that's interesting. Moving on...".

I'm not even a Zimmer naysayer and I don't care for Gladiator. As far as scores for Ridley Scott movies set in pre-modern times, I'll take Harry Gregson-Williams' Kingdom of Heaven every day.

Probably because it was written at the last minute by 20 composers.

This is a masses popularity contest. It means nothing regarding quality.

Curse of the Black Pearl was written at the last minute, which is why, apart from some legitimately nice themes from Zimmer, it's a dreadful score. Dead Man's Chest on the other hand... very nice.

I've seen the movie a couple of times though and the score sounds fine to me, it works quite well. So then why do John Williams fans say it's a 'mess'?

No idea. John Williams fans are weird. POTC is a fine score, both in and out of the movie. Doesn't matter how many people were involved.

Assuming you mean Curse of the Black Pearl by POTC, no. Just no. Does it have its moments? Absolutely. There are some beautiful themes, yes ("The Medallion Calls" is gorgeous), and the better action setpieces have some kick-ass moments (the opening of "Barbossa Is Hungry") but the overall product is one of the worst-mixed scores I've ever heard for a blockbuster, and the composition of most cues has all the subtlety of a flying sledgehammer. If you're referring to the other films in the series, then sure, "POTC is a fine score." The new thematic material for Dead Man's Chest is amazing, and after the score performed live without the pointless sample "enhancements," it's probably become my favorite Zimmer score. At World's End is the functional equivalent of BOTFA - excellent at points, but unfortunately dominated by battle scenes composed of bass-driven blah. Also, I'm pretty sure On Stranger Tides is the definition of Zimmer phoning in a score.

With the exception of one cue the score doesn't acknowledge that the film is a comedy at all. It's loud and overbearing all of the time. Like the fucking apocalypse is happening for 2 hours and 20 minutes straight.

But it isn't strictly a comedy. It borrows something from every genre of mainstream film, which is why it's such a fun movie.

No it's not. The Lord of the Rings is really one movie released in three parts.

No one knew if there would be a next Star Wars in 1977.

True, but I doubt that the average voter in this poll is really just considering Star Wars for semantic reasons.

Unpopular opinion: SW OT scores > LOTR scores > SW Prequels scores ≈ Hobbit scores.

SW OT scores > LOTR scores > SW Prequels scores ≈ Hobbit scores.

It is the only way.

Fixed!

Karol

Unpopular opinion: SW prequel scores>LOTR scores>SW original trilogy scores>Hobbit scores.

LOTR scores ≈ SW OT scores > SW Prequels scores > Hobbit scores.

It is the only way.

It's a bit hard to rank them for me (other than the Hobbit scores' last place slot). Out of all of them the Lord of the Rings trilogy works best in the film (even better than the Star Wars original trilogy. Yeah, I said it!) but are a slog on all but the most truncated arrangements. In terms of standalone alone listening, I'd rank them as...

Star Wars OT > Star Wars PT > LOTR > >>>> The Hobbits

In film, I'd rank them LOTR > Star Wars OT > Star Wars PT > The Hobbist

I'm amazed anyone is taking any British poll seriously that leaves off any of Ralph Vaughan Williams's film music. The prologue to The 49th Parallel alone is better than 90% of what they listed.

This is obviously just another list of "what do you remember" instead of any argument to actual quality.

Ah, I believe you're looking for the Ultra-Refined Taste list, where only Schindler's List, The Godfather, and a smattering of scores by classical composers who dabbled in film music a handful of times are featured. Nothing too recent or memorable allowed, only True Quality! Why pay attention to those hacks Williams and Shore, when Prokofiev did something?! I mean, it's Prokofiev!

Ah, I believe you're looking for the Ultra-Refined Taste list, where only Schindler's List, The Godfather, and a smattering of scores by classical composers who dabbled in film music a handful of times are featured. Nothing too recent or memorable allowed, only True Quality! Why pay attention to those hacks Williams and Shore, when Prokofiev did something?! I mean, it's Prokofiev!

I know you're being flippant but the thing to remember is that RVW's The Lark Ascending is repeatedly voted in the UK as the most beautiful piece of classical music ever written.

You'd think these same voters would know about, I dunno, Scott of the Antarctic?

Wow, I find these results to be quite revealing.

The thread will be locked if too much discussion that I don't agree with happens though.

And by the way, the bitter one isn't me, but the one I was impersonating... and he's on your "side."

Talk about bitterness.

Anyway, if you want to tell me anything do it directly via personal message. This kind of comments you're posting lately won't lead you anywhere.

I know you're being flippant but the thing to remember is that RVW's The Lark Ascending is repeatedly voted in the UK as the most beautiful piece of classical music ever written.

You'd think these same voters would know about, I dunno, Scott of the Antarctic?

Nah. This is the same kind of crowd that convinces themselves that by being familiar with popular pieces like The Lark Ascending and Claire de Lune, they're of the smarter classical elitist crowd, and are "big fans" of Vaughan Williams and Debussy, when in fact they've heard very little outside of those pieces.

I used to disregard LOTR music because I didn't think it was as "musically" inventive as music by some other film composers. But now I see it as a perfect accompaniment to the films, which for me is the most important thing. These polls ask the simple question of "What is the best score" but don't address the fact that different people have different criteria for what they consider to be a good score. Some people prefer more memorable melodies than others, but does that mean that the score to The Social Network can't be the best, because it doesn't have the memorable melodies of, say, Star Wars? At the end of the day different scores for different films are impossible to compare conclusively, and these polls should be taken as a light-hearted "popularity contest". Both Howard Shore and John Williams wrote terrific film music for their respective films.

I do have the power to make bitingly satirical posts caricaturing whoever I choose!

Actually, you don't.

What's it going to be then, Ricard? A ban, for offhand references which should be easy to shrug off as typical JWFan ribbing? The posts were made, and seen by others, and that was it. Pages went by before you dredged it up again. By doing that, or whatever else you intend to do, you're only making yourself look bad. I have no real ill-will against you. Can you say the same?

I used to disregard LOTR music because I didn't think it was as "musically" inventive as music by some other film composers. But now I see it as a perfect accompaniment to the films, which for me is the most important thing. These polls ask the simple question of "What is the best score" but don't address the fact that different people have different criteria for what they consider to be a good score. Some people prefer more memorable melodies than others, but does that mean that the score to The Social Network can't be the best, because it doesn't have the memorable melodies of, say, Star Wars? At the end of the day different scores for different films are impossible to compare conclusively, and these polls should be taken as a light-hearted "popularity contest". Both Howard Shore and John Williams wrote terrific film music for their respective films.

You've changed for the better!

;)

Pages went by before you dredged it up again. By doing that, or whatever else you intend to do...

Your response. That's what I intended to see.

I have no real ill-will against you.

That's good to know.

Can you say the same?

Absolutely.