Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS)

I completely agree with Stef's post about Civil War, after watching it last night. While the tone is clearly a Captain America sequel, the story structure is akin to Avengers 3. It is funny how some of the broader story elements feel lifted from Batman v. Superman, i.e. an outside villain manipulating Tony Stark and Steve Rogers against each other, a catastrophic bombing, a scene stealing bit player (Spider-Man is this film's MVP) and the final fight between the two good guys that mirror BvS in terms of intensity. For a Marvel Studios film, I felt myself getting restless. And it even gets dark in places but even then, there's a lot of 'lucky misses'. The film is unwilling to take chances with offing a main character in one scene but, surprise surprise, he survives.

Judging by the packed theater I was in last night, it went over great with the die-hard Marvel fans. Of course, the (unnecessary) Spider-Man post-credit scene had them clapping and cheering -- like they haven't seen Spidey star in five previous movies.

I dunno how anyone could say its an Avengers film "in disguise", that's been pretty obvious since they started announcing that every MCU hero was in it except Fury, Hulk, and Thor

Well, Jay, the disguise lies in the title. It's ... a ... Captain ... America ... film.

But apparently it's not. So don't call it that.

I wouldn't call it an Avengers film either. Cause most of them, other than Cap and Iron Man, are just extended cameos.

Karol

Is a Vision / Scarlet Witch romance set up at all?

Does Black Widow pine for Hulk at all?

Does Peter Parker mention Gwen Stacey?

Is Gwyneth Paltrow in it?

Gwyneth isnt in it.

No mention of Gewn Stacey.

Black Widow mentions Hulk, or someone mentions Hulk to her. But no pining. I wonder if Marvel will drop that romance. No one seemed to like it.

Vision and Scarlet Witch share a few scenes together, and he attempts to make her Paprikash to lift her mood. But he also essentially keeps her detained on Starks orders.

Spider-man's presence in this film is quite similar to that of Quicksilver in Days Of Future Past. He's introduced, and used for essentially one set piece, then leaves.

I really enjoyed the chemistry between RDJ and Gwyneth in the three Iron Man movies and Avengers 1, and it is kinda odd they didn't bring her back for Avengers 2 or Civil War.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Not really. Several of the characters, old and new have arcs in this film. They are small supporting roles, certainly not cameo's.

Also most actors probably spend many weeks or months filming this.

Yeah, that's all true. But it always seemed to like like The Winter Soldier 2, basically. With Avengers somewhere in the background. Other than the airport fight scene, it never felt to me like an Avengers film.

Karol

I really loved the Spider-Man scenes, and those were the scenes I wasn't looking forward to prior to seeing the film. Tom Holland took the best elements from Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield's performances and injected his own personality into it. I actually want to see the movie again just for his scenes alone.

And, yes, Marissa Tomei is a smoking hot Aunt May.

I thought this was fun, predictably fun.  Lighter than I expected.  Sort of felt like everyone involved was testing the waters for the next genuine Avengers installment.  What more can be said?

A bit more.  Did anyone else find it preachy?  Or at least, not preachy in the right ways?  There were a lot of missed chances to insert some real musings on the trials of the team and the parallel in the sustainability of these films themselves.  There wasn't much serious talk about the implications of anything that happened. 

Maybe they're saving the real thoughtful stuff for Infinity War?  Maybe it's not coming at all?  This did feel a bit like Marvel saying something like, "this is the last time these folks will be together in a somewhat lighthearted way, so enjoy it while it lasts."  But I've been known to read into things like that, so who knows.

Loved it.  Probably not as good as Winter Soldier as a movie, but it was fun.  It ended much cleaner than I thought it would, with Cap just a phone call away, and Tony more or less grinning about it.

Wanda was more involved than I expected, and that was a pleasant surprise.  Loved Spidey's material and I was worried he would stick out like a sore thumb, but he was utilized very well.   

Appreciated that it didn't devolve into a huge world-threatening villain.  The super soldier thing was a great misdirect.

Well that's my point.  They "killed" Superman in BvS but of course he'll be back alive again in Justice League.

Many were expecting Steve Rogers to be "killed" in Civil War, and then Falcon, Winter Soldier, or Sharon Carter picks up the mantle and becomes Captain America for Avengers 3.  

Then sometimes towards the end of Avengers 3 or beginning of Avengers 4, Steve Rogers comes back to save the day in the fight against Thanos.

But obviously that didn't end up being the case.