John Williams is untouchable

leeallen01

Only on the surface; they fact that they pulled a giant retcon and made a new bad guy be behind everything that happened in the previous 3 movies was stupid!

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

American Beauty is garbage.  Road to Perdition is his best film.  Skyfall is the only other one of his that I like.

I think American Beauty is his best. The others you mentioned were mostly decent. 

Granted, I haven't seen American Beauty in at least 15 years so my opinion might be different now, but at the time I hated that movie so much.  There are few stories that bore me more than suburban ennui.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

How about Blue Velvet? 

My favourite cinematic suburbia is and always will be Spielberg's. 

Well David Lynch's approach to suburbia is actually original and interesting, unlike American Beauty (in my memory, at least).

And yeah, E.T. is brilliant because Spielberg just treats the suburban environment as a fact of life, as a place where a beautiful, magical story can take place.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yuck!

High school level film analysis.

So you're saying it's an inaccurate statement?  Where's the counter-argument?  That's literally what Spielberg was doing in those films.

On 12/24/2016 at 4:50 PM, MikeH said:

One aspect of his work that astonishes me to no end is the depth of his orchestrations. Now I'm not in the camp that says orchestrations have to be complex in order to be wonderful. I do love me lots of Barry and streamlined Goldsmith. 

Looking at his sketches for cues like "Zam the Assassin" and "Journey to the Island" is often dizzying for me. There's so much going on, and a lot of it is not even noticeable until you look at the layers via the sketch/score. But it all contributes to the whole.

This is a man who does this with pencil and paper, every day of his life. Even at two minutes a day, it's staggering to think that he can accomplish as much complexity as he does in the time allotted.  It's very, very intense work.  All of those 16th and 32nd note woodwind runs (think Journey to the Island), notated by hand, accidentals and all. 

Now some may argue that he could accomplish just as much emotionally with less orchestrational complexity. He did admit to streamlining a bit during the action sequences of TFA, wondering whether or not it was worth it since it will all be covered up with sound effects in the end. But at the end of the day, it's remarkable to think of how much music he's written over the years with such depth and mastery of orchestration. 

"Depth?"
"Complexity?"

Sorry, but ANY composer who does a soundtrack, for a motion picture, has not the time for either.

To the "average joe" yes, it does SOUND like a lot going on, but, in reality, it's no more complicated than a Beatles Song.

Or singing a "round" version of "Row Your Boat."

The modern orchestra, is nothing more than a four piece rock band. The orchestra just has more members.

THAT explains "depth." And I've heard recordings of just THREE members, who sounded like WAY more than just "three."

As for "complexity?" A lot of these "MIDI Maestros" on the web today believe that you have to fine tune and fix everything to the point of sounding "REAL", yet they have NO idea of how that is truly accomplished!

That's because, most of these people, NEVER came up the "Hard Way"- like being a part of musical groups for the better *part* of

their lives.

And MOST of these people, are trying to tell ME, how percussion and whatnot, should SOUND?

Orchestra is NOT difficult!

But, really, you have to start, from the beginning......

On 1/24/2017 at 6:50 AM, Quintus said:

I think American Beauty is his best. The others you mentioned were mostly decent. 

American Beauty spawned a whole HOST of imitations, like HEART BREAKERS.

8 hours ago, skyy38 said:

"Depth?"
"Complexity?"

Sorry, but ANY composer who does a soundtrack, for a motion picture, has not the time for either.

To the "average joe" yes, it does SOUND like a lot going on, but, in reality, it's no more complicated than a Beatles Song.

Or singing a "round" version of "Row Your Boat."

The modern orchestra, is nothing more than a four piece rock band. The orchestra just has more members.

THAT explains "depth." And I've heard recordings of just THREE members, who sounded like WAY more than just "three."

As for "complexity?" A lot of these "MIDI Maestros" on the web today believe that you have to fine tune and fix everything to the point of sounding "REAL", yet they have NO idea of how that is truly accomplished!

That's because, most of these people, NEVER came up the "Hard Way"- like being a part of musical groups for the better *part* of

their lives.

And MOST of these people, are trying to tell ME, how percussion and whatnot, should SOUND?

Orchestra is NOT difficult!

But, really, you have to start, from the beginning......

Lol

On 24/01/2017 at 4:02 PM, Quintus said:

That, plus Close Encounters and Poltergeist. It's like it's the same housing estate. 

Even Gremlins and, to a lesser extent, Back to the Future

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

Even Gremlins and, to a lesser extent, Back to the Future

Yes!  Another thing all these movies have in common is ordinary people being pulled into fantastical adventures.  I think this is something that is sorely missing from blockbuster cinema today.  It's all superheroes!  I like a lot of those movies of course, but I miss when heroes used to be from the family next door.