Williams score for KONG remake

Pelzter

Now wouldn't THAT be AWESOME!! Peter Jackson just announced that he will be writing and directing the 2005 remake of KING KONG - and what if John scored that?? -Even though it could essentially be THE LOST WORLD...

--Pelzter.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Barry wrote a beautiful score for the remake in 1976. I still have the album, and it needs a listen quite soon.

I don't know how I would feel about King Kong being remade again.

Arn't there enough original ideas out there that we could leave a masterpiece like the original alone. I know Jackson wants to do it as a homage to the original, having the story take place back in the original time period of the early 30's. But the only reason to remake it is to make a special effects film. Granted the org. has great effects for the time, but its the story, beauty and the beast that makes this film so special. Its sorta like some director in 2052 deciding to remake E.T. using the lastest special effects, the real question is why? Williams is as good a choice as any for this but again why?

The original King Kong, along with Max Steiner's wonderful score, was and still is a classic. John Barry wrote a great score for a real stinker of remake in 1976. Barry's Kong was the first soundtrack I ever owned, I remember purchasing it in 1976. I was able to find the CD to his score and I truly wish it could see an expanded re-mastered release.

I would love to see Williams score this but I have mixed feelings about this re-make. My opinion of Peter Jackson went up after viewing the first 2 LOTR films, so I have faith he could pull it off but look at what happened to my beloved Godzilla and the failure of Mighty Joe Young a few years ago. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

John Barry wrote a beautiful score for the remake in 1976.  I still have the album, and it needs a listen quite soon.  

?

Yes,true,It's one of the first feature films I remember seeing in a theater besides Disney stuff,and I also liked the music. I still remembered the haunting main theme when I bought the Mask c.d. a few years ago.

K.M.

I think it all depends on who's behind the pen and the camera.

Personally, I'm not all that sure PJ could pull it off. If he had a film like American Graffiti under his belt, I would say he could pull off a great movie. I say AmGraf because I put GL and PJ in the same category--directors made famous by a fantasy trilogy. There's a great contrast between the characters and dialogue of AmGraf and Star Wars. The AmGraf characters are more realistic than the SW ones. I'm just unsure that PJ could pull that off or if KK will be a bunch of lifeless, flat rambling like LotR. I know a film like KK wouldn't call for AmGraf realism, since the AG realism was the main feature, but a medium between that and the fantasy dialogue would be appropriate. (Speaking of lifeless rambling...)

I think an exact shot for shot re-make of the original 1933 only in color should be done. This would be a unique experiment in updating the classic film. This is a fool proof plan.

;)

Neil

the only thing different from the original would be the color and the fact that KK masterbates when he sees Ann Darrow

I think it's all gossip. I know Peter Jackson is smarter then this.

BTW, if its true and he is planning a remake then not to worry, it's just only a idea, a plan. And we all know what that means in Motion Picture land. I would rather like Williams to do something really...totally different.

Perhaps "Music for chamber orchestra "or "Pieces for a string quartet".

(Remember or listen to Jane Eyre: Festivity at Thornfield) ;)

I think an exact shot for shot re-make of the original 1933 only in color should be done. This would be a unique experiment in updating the classic film. This is a fool proof plan.  

the only thing different from the original would be the color and the fact that KK masterbates when he sees Ann Darrow

:D

Ray Barnsbury-who gets it, but still needs to see Psycho's remake

I agree with Joe, even though I haven't seen the original. I just doubt that we really need it done again, if I want to see it I'd rather pick up the original. When was a remake ever as good as the original, err with small exceptions :D

Ray Barnsbury-who gets it, but still needs to see Psycho's remake

Trust me - you don't :D

CYPHER

Wasn't one half assed remake of King Kong enough???

PLEASE!

People should not bo0ther remaking films that DO NOT need to be remade.

-Rogue Leader who wonders if in another 20 or 30 years they will be remaking Star Wars.

-Rogue Leader who wonders if in another 20 or 30 years they will be remaking Star Wars.

Anthony - who wonders if Lucas won't be remaking Star Wars in 2 or 3 years LOL

Anthony - who wonders if Lucas won't be remaking Star Wars in 2 or 3 years LOL

You know I was going to add a comment virtualy the same as this to my original post.

Nice to see I am not the only one who had this terrible thought.

-Rogue Leader who believes ONE remake of SW is ONE TOO MANY! Especially a remake that has Greedo shooting first! :)

The only benefit of a remake would be to create more detailed settings (i.e. not make the ANH sets so claustrophobic on the DS, add more to Cloud City and Dagobah in ESB, show more of Coruscant and Jabba's Palace in RotJ). I don't see how you could remake SW. You could easily swap out actors, but it'd be nearly impossible to come up with a new art design and still call it SW and still have it be called good.

I think more should be done with CE3K. A remake or a sequel (I'd prefer a sequel or, at least, a remake with a sequel lined up). Although I think there's a narrow margin for making a sequel that doesn't take away from the original. There's plenty of places you could go after Neary takes off, but not all of those places would do justice to the original. The Jurassic Park and Jaws sequels are testaments to that.

I think more should be done with CE3K. A remake or a sequel (I'd prefer a sequel or, at least, a remake with a sequel lined up).

blasphemy, you heretic.

Personally, I'm not all that sure PJ could pull it off.  If he had a film like American Graffiti under his belt, I would say he could pull off a great movie.  I say AmGraf because I put GL and PJ in the same category--directors made famous by a fantasy trilogy.  There's a great contrast between the characters and dialogue of AmGraf and Star Wars.  The AmGraf characters are more realistic than the SW ones.  I'm just unsure that PJ could pull that off or if KK will be a bunch of lifeless, flat rambling like LotR.  I know a film like KK wouldn't call for AmGraf realism, since the AG realism was the main feature, but a medium between that and the fantasy dialogue would be appropriate.  (Speaking of lifeless rambling...)

Peter Jackson has "Heavenly Creatures" under his belt :)

Which is absolutely amazing and one of the greatest movies I've seen. It basically convinced me that PJ could do LOTR, and with a look at the other things he's done, I'm tempted to say he can pull off nearly everything. ;)

:) Medal of Honor (Michael Giacchino)

I think it's all gossip. I know Peter Jackson is smarter then this.

BTW, if its true and he is planning a remake then not to worry, it's just only a idea, a plan. And we all know what that means in Motion Picture land. I would rather like Williams to do something really...totally different.

Perhaps "Music for chamber orchestra "or "Pieces for a  string quartet".

(Remember or listen to Jane Eyre: Festivity at Thornfield) :)

No this is something that Peter Jackson has been trying to get going since 1996 I believe. There should be an early draft of the script floating around the net somewhere and there was a pic PJ with an early prototype sculpture of Kong & a T-Rex. Here is the announcement:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/fs/20030401/1...4923187400.html

I'm sick and tired of the movie studios making remake after remake, just to make a meager profit. Disney does it all the time, remaking old classic TV shows like Leave it to Beaver and My Favorite Martian, and turning them into "paint by numbers"-style movies. Hooray. The studios figure that if they spend $10 million to make a movie, but receive anything over $10 million as the profit, then it's been worth it. That's why we've got so many ridiculous sequels and remakes and totally unoriginal movies, i.e. basically the entire horror genre of today, but that's another story.

They need to stop reinventing/remaking old classic films every generation or so simply because the technology to improve outdated special effects has improved. Deep Blue Sea was an attempt to remake the Jaws kind of movie, and I think it sucked, the sharks looked even faker since you saw so much of them, and it wasn't captivating. We just had a remake of King Kong in '76, and it wasn't that great. Do we really need another Superman franchise, another Batman franchise? What's next, a remake of Willow with a more realistic looking three headed dragon (I guess it's called an "Ebersisk," hardy har har) for Val Kilmer to slay? A remake of The Godfather with a younger, hipper cast and digital effects to better depict the death of Santino? Gimme a break, movie studios.

Leave King Kong alone. It's been done twice, not to mention how many other Kong-clones like Son of Kong, and Mighty Joe Young and its remake, and no film will ever beat the classic 1936? version. It's about story, not visual effects.

The studios REALLY need to watch the sixth season episode of South Park entitled "Free Hat."

Peter Jackson says "No film has captivated my imagination more than King Kong. I'm making movies today because I saw this film when I was 9 years old. It has been my sustained dream to reinterpret this classic story for a new age."

OK, so he likes the story and the movie. Does that really warrant a reinterpretation of the subject matter?

I mean, suppose someone grows up really enjoying books like Moby Dick, The Lord of the Rings, or even the Bible (it's still a book). You don't cherish works like these by reinventing them, you simply read them over and over again and say "gee, I really like them." You don't need to write it again and say "my interpretation of Moby Dick" and replace all the harpoons with walkie-talkies, or something.

Mr Jackson, either make a movie about The Hobbit, something original, or retire. Don't mess wit Kong, or Kong'll mess wit you.

There's only One Kong needed to rule them all, and One Kong to find them, and One Kong to bring them all and on the island bind them, and that's THE King Kong of the 1930s.

I thought Maverick was a pretty decent remake. Same goes for The Fugitive and A Guy Named Joe (which is Always). I'd like to see Donner remake Get Smart. I think he's the only person who could pull it off. It might have something to do with the fact that he's good at those kinds of movies and he directed a lot of the original TV episodes. I think it'd be neat for Mel Gibson to be Maxwell Smart, but he's not as hyper or quirky as Don Adams. I would think Ben Affleck/Stiller or Matthew Broderick could pull it off. Although, they don't seem like they belong in Donner films. (Would it be too cheesy for Don Adams to be the Chief? Barbara Feldon would be an interesting twist as Chief.)

I mean, suppose someone grows up really enjoying books like Moby Dick, The Lord of the Rings, or even the Bible (it's still a book). You don't cherish works like these by reinventing them, you simply read them over and over again and say "gee, I really like them."  

Or make a documentry about them :| But I don't think you remake them... Unless it's a flawed movie that you can make better. I don't think there is much point in remaking a classic.

Upon asking what his next project will be Jackson said something like doing a small film. After all those Ring-years, could anyone blame him???Kong will not be next.

What I do see is that someday Peter will direct the the next "cult classic "science fiction movie. After 2001: a Space Odyssey(sixties), Star Wars, Alien(seventies), Blade Runner(eighties), a new one would be long overdue.

Alex

Ok, Gattaca(nineties)perhaps?

Once again I was... a guest. Why don't I LOG IN!!!

Alex - Who was just checking if he can make his name appear after logging in again.

The Matrix has very much become a cult film......

You're right, Morn. I enjoyed that. But will it still be one after 10 or more years. We will have to wait and see. But I guess you're right.

I thought Maverick was a pretty decent remake.  Same goes for The Fugitive and A Guy Named Joe (which is Always).  

Maverick I agree with- a movie that achieved everything it wanted to- it is simply fun to watch. Plus that great Randy Newman score.

The Fugitive is one of the best movies ever, also coupled wih a great James Newton Howard score.

But Always I have to disagree with. It is by far Spielberg's worst movie, and is one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I've seen mopvies a billion times worse, but they are terrible, not boring.

@Alexcremers: I also don't think Matrix will last (Although the two sequels will probably sinificantly change my opinion, for better or worse).

I think it is an extremely overrated movie. It is similar to Dark City, but DC is far superior.

Also- I don' think Aliem should be on the list of cult classics. It was, but had died out over the past decade.

I still hear tons about 2001 and Star Wars, many people name them among the best movies of all times, but I havn't heard about alien in years.

Also, how could an alien compare with villains like The Emperor, Darth Vader, or HAL-9000?

Morlock wrote:

Also- I don' think Aliem should be on the list of cult classics. It was, but had died out over the past decade.

I still hear tons about 2001 and Star Wars, many people name them among the best movies of all times, but I havn't heard about alien in years.

Also, how could an alien compare with villains like The Emperor, Darth Vader, or HAL-9000?

End quote.

Look at movies made before Alien(1978). This was the first SF-film that had a real to life, dark feel and a cinematographic vision and style that was innovative in those days and therefore acted as a model for many other movies to come. Also its theme, although not new, has been copied alot since then.

A cult movie is a movie that has a strong following and caring by cinema audiences ans critics. I don't think Alien has lost its cult status just because it doesn't seem to appeal a large public the way Star Wars does. And if it has lost some then it is still a classic.

You can't judge a movie by its villain alone.

John Barry wrote a beautiful score for the remake in 1976.  I still have the album, and it needs a listen quite soon.  

?

I caught it on TV last night,Who cares about the music,I just can't believe how hot Jessca Lange was in that movie.

K.M.

Dunno,having problems myself.I log in for a post then get de-logged automatically.

K.M.

Dunno,having problems myself.I log in for a post then get de-logged automatically.

K.M.

You can get de-logged if you set your computer to delete your cookies, or clear settings each time you reboot or get off the internet. As long as I'm the only one that touches my computer, I don't see the need to delete cookies regularly, so I'm always logged in.

KM, what on earth is your signature? I try to say it but I sound like a malfunctioning robot!!!!!

Isn't it the Ewok chant at the end of the original Return of the Jedi? It's been so long since I've seen this version I can't recall for sure. And K.M. your picture just comes up as a broken image for me :music: What is it?

CYPHER

Damnit, I've been logged out too (again)! I'm trying to crack 200 posts tonight and this is not helping one bit! So Darth Wojo, how do I check if my computer has been set to delete cookies?

CYPHER