Those bastards who fought with John Williams... and won!

Bespin

On 7/8/2018 at 11:27 AM, Bespin said:

2005    Brokeback Mountain - Gustavo Santaolalla

The Academy's gravest sin against Williams' in recent times. I can live with his other post-2005 losses.

3 minutes ago, KK said:

The Academy's gravest sin against Williams' in recent times. I can live with his other post-2005 losses.

The last time I watched Oscar was two years before that, when ROTK won. It was a hard task to even stay awake. Nah, I don't bother with those anymore. There really is no point.

Karol

They can still make a good night. Although they haven't staged a properly satisfying ceremony since '08 with Jackman, which was a riot.

I always like watching the Oscars.  Partly real enjoyment, partly roasting it for fun.  Tradition for me since the year Titanic won.  It's fun for me and my wife to eat junk food and dish.  That's the point.

Indeed. I think I've been watching since 2007 I believe. Every year, a few of us place some bets, pass some beers around, and have a fun time.

I wish I got to see it during ROTK's year. That must have been quite a night.

I prefer to be miserable and criticise things from the position of a complete ignorance (as one famous writer once put it).

Karol

Agreed. I like THE SHAPE OF WATER. It doesn't quite reach the eccentric heights of GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, but it's pretty darn good, and was the best contender (with the possible exception of PHANTOM THREAD) for the Oscar™.