The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

38 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Indeed, but I would think a huge open world like Breath of the Wild would feature at least one cat. 

Because cats carry the parasite Toxoplasma Gondii and can inflict Toxoplasmosis on humans, also known as crazy cat lady syndrome, that's why. 

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Twilight Princess has an extended sequence that revolves around a cat!  It has dialogue and everything! ;) 

At first I thought you were referring to the cat in the opening sequence.

15 hours ago, xWxzek said:

Because cats carry the parasite Toxoplasma Gondii and can inflict Toxoplasmosis on humans, also known as crazy cat lady syndrome, that's why. 

That exact reply was posted here......

https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/twilight-princess-had-cats-why-arent-there-any-cats-in-breath-of-the-wild.454951253/

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Wojo is stealing other people’s posts now?

I copied and pasted a user's comments from a different forum without crediting that user or providing a link or citing the source. Is this an internet crime? 

30 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s just bizarre. Come up with your own material!

Screenshot_20190520-201518_Chrome.jpg

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wojo the un-original! Wojo the plagiarist!

Eat a dick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might take the Japanese characters in this image and both:

1. Translate it into English

2. Get the Japanese in copy/pastable format

They’re one of my favorite Mario Makers I follow and I want to at least attempt to find them when 2 comes out.  Since you know Nintendo doesn’t have their online shit together enough to carry that over.

7FB83B41-8A29-46FA-88FB-D898CFBF1A05.jpeg

12F38534-F8D7-422F-85DA-D23A84DFDC41.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might take the Japanese characters in this image and both:

1. Translate it into English

2. Get the Japanese in copy/pastable format

They’re one of my favorite Mario Makers I follow and I want to at least attempt to find them when 2 comes out.  Since you know Nintendo doesn’t have their online shit together enough to carry that over.

7FB83B41-8A29-46FA-88FB-D898CFBF1A05.jpeg

12F38534-F8D7-422F-85DA-D23A84DFDC41.jpeg

Forgive me if you've thought of something similar, but your best bet would probably be to install/enable Japanese on your keyboard (incredibly simple to do if you're on a phone, at least on Android), go to this great website: 

https://jisho.org/

And type the characters as you see them into the box at the top. The characters in your image are in katakana.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Forgive me if you've thought of something similar, but your best bet would probably be to install/enable Japanese on your keyboard (incredibly simple to do if you're on a phone, at least on Android), go to this great website: 

https://jisho.org/

And type the characters as you see them into the box at the top. The characters in your image are in katakana.

I have no clue how Japanese typing works!

17 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have no clue how Japanese typing works!

It's a very visual based system, if you can see the character you can type it in...though I feel like I'm misunderstanding your issue.

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's a very visual based system, if you can see the character you can type it in...though I feel like I'm misunderstanding your issue.

You try with the images I posted!  I tried using the website you linked to and I have no idea how to use it.  I even tried the option to draw the characters and all the suggestions weren't even close.

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You try with the images I posted!  I tried using the website you linked to and I have no idea how to use it.  I even tried the option to draw the characters and all the suggestions weren't even close.

I gave a bad suggestion, that website is geared towards kanji, one of three writing systems in Japanese (based on Chinese characters). Without resorting to a hiragana/katakana to romaji chart a nd manually finding the syllables that the characters create, the simplest thing would probably be to again, download an app or something that allows you to input Japanese--I discovered actually finding one on Android that allows you to directly input in all three is harder than I thought, so try to find one that supports at least hiragana and katakana--then type those characters and paste them into Google Translate.

Using an app I found that supported handwriting recognition, I got this: 

ゲッコウ

Which when you put in Google Translate reads as "Gekko" (there technically is no "c" in Japanese).

Playable Luigi's Mansion 3 means it won't be delayed until next year or something, yay!

So, all this time, the reason the Gamecube controller sucked for me is because I've had a crappy third party controller. I had no idea what the heck 'third party' even meant until recently. So I've acquired an official Gamecube controller and NOW can finally grasp why people love this controller! It DOES feel quite nice.

Buy a Switch to play modern Pokémon sounds like a good idea. 

But the Switch is expensive. It’s about the same price as a PS4 which doesn’t seem right .

Nintendo will surely be releasing a cheaper version soon, as well as a revamp/improvement of the launch version.  A Switch Lite and Switch Pro, if you will.

It's been rumored for a while now, nothing official yet tho.

If they know what they're doing they'll at least have the cheaper version out by the Holidays for parents to buy for their kids along with Pokemon 8

My reaction to all my Nintendo podcasts dedicating half or more of their runtime this week to Pokemon news:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know the series has fans but I've just never been interested and can't imagine I ever will

I can't wait for real first party news tomorrow, been some good third party need already!

Finally an explanation for why Switch got FF7,9,10, and 12 but not 8.... 8's getting a remaster!

Any fans of Square's SAGA series here?

And I mentioned it yesterday but I am glad to finally play Ni No Kuni

@King Mark Will you be getting a Switch to play Dragon Quest XI with orchestral music?

It seems here at JWFan OT we have enough people who want to talk about Nintendo specific games and hardware without caring about most other video gaming talk, and enough people who want to discuss video game news and what you've been playing without caring about the Nintendo side of things, that two separate threads are now warranted, and have been requested a few times by different people.  So here we go!

Nintendo's E3 Direct begins a little over 1 hour from the time of this post.  Here's hoping we get a release date for Link's Awakening and find out what Retro's been up to!

Starting with some sort of new Zelda game!?

Oh, must be a Smash Ultimate character, nm

Yea it's some Dragon Quest dude, complete with a Slime lol

Jesus christ this trailer is soooooooooo long

Dragon Quest XI itself is looking cool though, I'll probably get it.  Coming Sep 27

Wow, the new head of NOA cannot act worth a damn

Luigi's Mansion 3 trailer!!  Looks great!

Gooigi lol

Aw man, no release date yet :(

Netflix is finally coming to Switch, about damn time sheesh

Oh wait, it's not a Netflix app itself, just some Dark Crystal tactical RPG video game.  Huh.

LINK'S AWAKENING FOOTAGE!!!

Oh wow, it all looks so good!  Wonderful graphics, music sounds cool too!  Can't wait!!  When's the release date!?!??!

WHAT!?  It comes with a dungeon creator!?!?!

September 20th!!!  So glad we don't have to wait until the fall!

Huh, Trials of Mana is coming to Switch

SO IS THE MANA COLLECTION OF 1-3!!!!!!!

AND ITS AVAILABLE TODAY!!  HOLY CRAP!  I've been wanting to play Seiken Densetsu 3 forever!  Awesome!

Woah!!  WITCHER 3 is coming to Switch!  This year!

Fire Emblem 3 Houses...zzzzzzzzz

Resident Evil 5 & 6 also coming to Switch, now we just need 2, 3, and Code Veronica to play the entire series pre-7

lol, No More Heroes III trailer

Wow, some crazy looking new CONTRA game is coming in September, plus a Contra Collection of a lot of old games is available today!

Daemon X Machina...zzzzzzzzz... Sep 13

Some game called Panzer Dragon... looks boring

Pokemon news now...zzzzzzzz

Astral Chain.... zzzzzz  Bring on Bayonetta 3 news instead please.  Aug 30

Hmmm, some new game from John Romero's company called Empire of Sin coming next year

Now a trailer for that Switch exclusive (for now) Marvel Ultimate Alliance game... July 19

Cadence of Hyrule coming June 13, looks fun

lol, Sonic & Mario Olympics games are still a thing I guess

Animal Crossing footage now

I've never played these games so have no idea what's exciting or not about this footage

It's called Welcome to Animal Crossing: New Horizons and doesn't' come out until next year (March 20th)

Furukawa is apologizing for the delay lol

Spiro game coming soon

HOLLOW KNIGHT: SILKSONG footage!  No release date :(

Newest DOOM and WOLFENSTEIN games get dates

ALIEN ISOLATION coming to Switch!

FF Crystal Chronicles set for "this winter"

Hmm a Stranger Things game?  Didn't Telltale cancels theirs?

Wow!  The whole thing is ending with a trailer for something Donkey Kong related!

Oh... it's actually another Smash reveal (of course)... Banjo Kazooie is the next DLC character.  Oh well

Oh wait there's one more trailer

Holy schnikies! It's Breath of the Wild related!??!

"The sequel to The Legend of Zelda; Breath of the Wild is now in development"

Wow!

14 hours ago, Jay said:

My reaction to all my Nintendo podcasts dedicating half or more of their runtime this week to Pokemon news:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know the series has fans but I've just never been interested and can't imagine I ever will

Children make up the main brunt of fans. My daughter is going through a big Pokémon phase right now, she's 8yrs old. Adult fans? Fuckin' gimps!

It's amazing how many adults go into deep, deep conversations about new Pokemon mechanics and lore and whatnot.  They love it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Some game called Panzer Dragoon... looks boring

:o

1 hour ago, Jay said:

lol, No More Heroes III trailer

What's the lol for?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, some new game from John Romero's company called Empire of Sin coming next year

Huh, that actually sounds pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Resident Evil 5 

After sleeping on it for a decade I played it last year, it's actually a really fun co-op game if anyone's on the hunt. Nowhere near the level of Resident Evil 4, but the multiplayer mechanics are some of the most well thought-out I've seen in years, the last wave of split-screen "couch" multiplayer. 

I think I'm about ten-ish years separated from you two, so it's a little different, but _tons_ of 20somethings are _really_ into Pokemon. When a new one comes out it's like 3/4s of my social circle freak out and bury themselves into it, trying to get certain rare creatures and everything. 

I don't necessarily care that they're all into this as adults, but the vibe I get from them is that these games are pretty much the same as the ones we played as kids. What makes a game experience unique is more than its grocery list of mechanics and all that, I know, but I don't know what it is about that experience of catching some goofy ass looking monsters that hooks them for life.

4 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

:o

All the trailer showed was just kinda flying around in an empty world.  You thought it was exciting?

What's the lol for?

The trailer was funny!

Oooh, Nintendo eStore is having a sale

https://e3.nintendo.com/sale/

I might pick up Shantae:Half Genie Hero for $10 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse for $12!

HOLLOW KNIGHT for $7.50 is an absolute steal!

So is Celeste for $13.39 especially with the 100 level free DLC coming out soon

Skyrim, Doom, and Wolfenstein II for $30 each is also a steal

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

All the trailer showed was just kinda flying around in an empty world.  You thought it was exciting?

I haven't watched the trailer, but have you never heard of Panzer Dragoon? 

BANJO KAZOOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a Switch or friends to play Smash with, but seeing those two get some love is quite splendid anyhow.

Just now, Jay said:

No, sorry

It first came out on the Sega Saturn. If you played Star Fox 64, that game basically sucked on Panzer Dragoon's teat. I played it last year and frankly I was shocked at what they pulled off back in '95. It was a rail shooter, and with events meticulously scripted one of the cool things they did is have a synchronized orchestral score running throughout...at its best moments, the game is an awe-inducing experience. I think the last game came out for the XBox in like 2002, so don't be surprised if you look through the Internet and find people losing their minds over this announcement.