David Arnold and Michael Price's DRACULA (2020 BBC TV)

Jay

Just finished episode 2. A few comments:

- Waaaay too long. Didn't give a crap about most of the characters.

- Constantly distracted by the guy who's also in episode 1 of Doctor Who

- What the actual fuck? (you know, the ending bit)

I really enjoyed episode 1. I can't say the same for this one. 3 had better wrap this up well.

Music was good though.

And done episode 3. I was bored for quite a lot of that, and I barely noticed any of the music this time.

Also, how is Lucy supposed not to have noticed she's been disfigured until that scene near the end?

Such a climb down from the wonderful episode 1.

Score's out on Spotify in the UK. Not making the impression it had on me in the show - I think Arnold has made (what I consider) the mistake of focusing on the tense/action material particularly from episode 1, and left off a lot of the more emotional music.

This is why I really don't like TV soundtracks. If a piece of music isn't from a pivotal scene, more likely than not it will never be released.

Geez, that third episode was a dumpster fire. Biggest misfire of a finale I've seen from a series that started so strongly.

If you haven't watched this yet, don't bother watching after episode 2 (and just pretend that final scene was a dream or something).

Listened to this again, all the way through this time, and rather liked it. I had to get out of the 'they've left that off' mindset.

I'd say most of the music from episode 3 is a bit generic (no doubt aided by the episode being mostly rubbish), with the last 15 minutes or so coming to life more.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Richard Penna said:

This is why I really don't like TV soundtracks. If a piece of music isn't from a pivotal scene, more likely than not it will never be released.

Yes, this was a huge problem for Doctor Who, where there was so much music and unfortunately for one reason or another never made it on any official release. It's basically 13 scores a season with some eps reduced to one track on album.

Indeed. With TV scores, I get lucky if I came across some cue that I would like to listen on its own, and even luckier when that cue is actually released.

For example, I've spent an year and a half waiting to listen the beautiful and emotional cue for the final scene of the season 2 finale of Penny Dreadful, until Korzeniowki released a 2 CD album, one for season 2 and the other for S3. The weird part is that cue for some reason was on the bonus tracks of the second CD, with an even weirder name (Boat to Africa). I despaired a little when I saw the tracklist ahd haven't found the cue, only finding it out when I heard the entire program.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:00 AM, Richard Penna said:

Score's out on Spotify in the UK. Not making the impression it had on me in the show - I think Arnold has made (what I consider) the mistake of focusing on the tense/action material particularly from episode 1, and left off a lot of the more emotional music.

I'm waiting to listen to this until I get the CD, but surely the love theme for Mina is included on the album? Recurred a few times in episode 1, and was easily the most memorable of the score. I liked the music in the series, there were a few great bits, but also some of the more generic Price/Arnold thriller material, which I guess you'd expect.

Too bad the main theme resembles "Snape to Malfoy Manor" a bit too much.