Filmtracks vs Movie Music UK vs Movie-Wave

bollemanneke

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this has anything to do with Zimmer's attack, for a while Southall has been posted less and less reviews. 

I think he simply got tired of reviewing film scores for over 20 years.

Then again, his fight with Zimmer might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

In the last year, James Southall is responsible for most of my new discoveries in film music.

So I guess, he did well!

Music Movie Uk - I love this site because it often have reviews of obscured scores and/or international scores. I can't tell you how many times I found a score because of Jon Broxton. It is by far the most active site too. The reviews are between CC and Southall. It is not as long-winded as CC but more informative than Southhall. In terms of grading it is pretty lenient for the most part. 

Move Wave - I probably go to this site the least. I really like Southall's occasional reviews of documentary scores and how he is pretty open minded to all types of music. I will say that I don't agree often with his final ratings. He is also a much bigger Desplat fanboy than I am.

Filmtracks - The best community and has the most historical reviews. I love the uniqueness of that site. CC is hit and miss for me. He can be so spot on with a score, but at times, incredibly biased. His is obsessed with defining film music the way he thinks it should be and is very dismissive of modern day scoring techniques or trends. He is also very biased against certain composers. However, his reviews are very informative and he'll go to a great lengths to describe the music composition itself.   

As an old friend of James from uni (albeit somewhat out of touch), he is pretty much the only reviewer I read. We share the same quirky sense of humour so I really appreciate those touches in his reviews, plus we both like a whole range from golden age to contemporary. Although I still don't know how he never reviewed any of the Murray Gold Doctor Who scores (not sure he ever heard them), they seem right up his boulevard... MMUK reviews are a bit too long and detailed, plus he kinda seems to like everything, so it's hard to tell. I used to read Filmtracks when I was at uni in biblical times, but haven't gone there in a while. I'll be very sad if Movie Wave does close, but I would totally understand him getting bored with reviews, happened to me.

He's only taking a break, so I'm sure he'll be back in some form. I can understand the need for a break sometimes; I feel the lack of motivation many times myself, and find it hard to keep up the activity on CT (as opposed to the enthusiam in the first few years). 

• 9 months later...