2020 Razzies

Jay

The 40th Razzie Awards: The “Lock-Down” Edition

THE AWARD SEASON IS OVER AND THE “CATS LADY” HAS SUNG!

FELINE FILM FLOP CATS, JOHN TRAVOLTA, HILARY DUFF and RAMBO ALL TURN OUT TO BE THE RAZZIE® AWARDS’ “MEOW!”

This past weekend the Razzies had planned a really humongous show – complete with an opening parody number, sketches, “Celebrity Presenters” and The Whole Balla Wax – eventually to be beamed out to the entire world. But due to unforeseen circumstances – otherwise known as the Corona-Virus – we are instead bringing the public a bit more intimate video, suitable for viewing by any audience currently in lock-down mode.

Volunteering to be the caboose on the 2020 Awards Season trophy train, The Golden Raspberry Awards have just revealed their 40th Annual Razzies “winners” in a video version speaking to the current worldwide health crisis we're all dealing with.

Topping the “winners” list was 2019’s most nominated title, Cats, which ended up with six awards in its litterbox: Worst Picture, Supporting Actor (James Corden) and Supporting Actress (Rebel Wilson) Screen Combo (Any Two Half-Feline/Half Human Hairballs) Worst Screenplay and Worst Director (Tom Hooper), The only other multiple Razzie “winner” was Rambo: Last Blood, which beat up the competition to grab Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel and a special category brought back for 2019, Worst reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property. Top acting ACK-olades went to John Travolta in two critically filleted films, THE FANATIC and TRADING PAINT (which scored a literal “Zero” approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes) as Worst Actor, and Hilary Duff in the graphically violent (and dramatically specious) Haunting of Sharon Tate for Worst Actress. This year’s Razzie Redeemer statuette (honoring a past Razzie recipient who’s gone on to do better work) went to Eddie Murphy for Dolemite Is My Name. A complete breakdown of this year’s winners is included below.

Current Voting Razzie Members (1,107 from all 50 US States and about two dozen foreign countries) were eligible to cast ballots online, selecting “winners" in ten categories. This year's 11th category, the Razzie Redeemer Award, was voted separately.

40th Annual Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Award “Winners”

WORST PICTURE 
Cats

WORST ACTOR
John Travolta / The Fanatic & Trading Paint

WORST ACTRESS 
Hilary Duff / The Haunting of Sharon Tate

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS 
Rebel Wilson / Cats 

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR 
James Corden / Cats

WORST SCREEN COMBO 
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs / Cats

WORST SCREENPLAY 
Cats / Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper 

WORST DIRECTOR 
Tom Hooper / Cats

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Rambo: Last Blood 

WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY
Rambo: Last Blood

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD 
Eddie Murphy / Dolemite Is My Name

AWARDS per PICTURE:
          Cats = 6 (Worst Picture, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Screen Combo, Director & Screenplay)
           Rambo: Last Blood = 2 (Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel & Reckless 
                   Disregard for Human Life & Public Property)
           The Fanatic = 1 (Worst Actor, John Travolta)
           The Haunting of Sharon Tate = 1 (Worst Actress, Hilary Duff)
           Dolemite Is My Name = 1 (Razzie® Redeemer, Eddie Murphy)

©2020, The Golden Raspberry (Razzie®) Awards LLC

https://www.razzies.com/razz-newz.html

To be honest, I try to avoid movies like these.

Did The Rise Of Skywalker get any Razzie nominations? I only watched like the first 15 minutes or so, but I couldn't believe how bad it is. Where has the talent gone?! We have all this technology but there's no one left to create something good with it.

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah. "Razzie Redeemer" is for people who won Razzies in the past and then made something good again. Dolemite is "redeeming" Norbit for Eddie Murphy.

OK, cool. In that case, it makes more sense.

But I still disagree with RAMBO: LAST BLOOD.  It was on my 29th place of 145 films last year. Not as good as the preceding movie, but very much in the same mold. Thrilling, visceral revenge pic. Waferthin characters, but enough energy in the mise-en-scene to nurture that particular aesthetic. Good stuff, and misunderstood! It was a bit like SOLDIER of 2019 (another severely underrated film).

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The crap of Skywalker should've been nominated to Worst Film and Worst Director.

There's nothing particularly wrong about how the scenes in the film are directed, though. To me the issue seems to mostly be in the script.

Worst film nomination - sure.

I've only seen 15 minutes, but from a visual standpoint, things really looked ridiculous during that market/kites scene. The way our heroes hastily and clumsily run from one place to another looked so amateurishly bad, it's something I only see that in cheap kids shows. If I was a director, I would not have shot it the way Abrams did. Then we get a chase scene (again silly those with superfast flying stormtroopers) where the heroes end up in some kind of quicksand. It all looked so silly that I couldn't watch any further. Abrams takes the cool out of Star Wars. Yes, the script is mainly to blame but Abrams' direction didn't help things either. Of course, the movie could get better after those first 15 minutes but I didn't stay to find out.

I believe you. There was so much critique on The Last Jedi, one would think they were going to make up for that, but they made things much worse. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

There was so much critique on The Last Jedi, one would think they were going to make up for that, but they made things much worse. 

Oh, next of The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi may well be Citizen Kane.

As formerly mentioned, the overdose on fanboy-ism (one reference after another to the OT) was indeed another really annoying thing about. Also, the (copy/paste) shot of a gazillion Star Destroyers should have every reason to be stunning and impressive, but instead, it lacked any form of impact. 

I don't mind the iconography of the previous films so much as the narrative choices. i.e. redeeming the villain and playing on familial ties. Because how can you have drama in a fantasy film other than familial ties?