Logo Music

MSM

I asked this before somewhere, but didn't get much response since the threat was quite old, but does anybody know where to get Williams' logo music for e.g. Amblin and Dreamworks? Does any official recording exist?

MSM - who would like to have them for a JW compilation

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want them, try emailing the film studios and see if any of them are gracious enough to let you have them. If not, try looking at some of the soundtracks they put out. I know some soundtracks put out the film studio's theme on the soundtracks (ex: The Fox Fanfare on some of the Star Wars soundtracks) So you can look for them using that route, if you don't mind paying a little for them. Or you can use a file-sharing program (Kazaa, WinMX) to find what your looking for.

I got all of my logo music right from the DVD's. I have a line going from my stereo to my computer... I play the DVD, record the logo music using Sound Froge and voila... there you go! That's the easy and illegal way to do it! My most recent recording was of James Horner's Universal Theme from Back To The Future III DVD.

BTW, Williams' Amblin Logo is on the VHS version of Young Sherlock Holmes and the DreamWorks Logo you can get from almost any DreamWorks picture. The original version is on the Peacemaker DVD.

Also, The Phoenix Pictures Logo is on the Apt Pupil soundtrack released by RCA Victor composed by John Ottman; Alan Silvestri's Silver Pictures Logo is on the Ricochet and Voyages CD from Varese.

I can't think of any other that are commercially available.

-Erik-

I play the DVD, record the logo music using Sound Froge and viola... there you go!

What do string instruments have to do with it? :)

That's the easy and illegal way to do it!

Seriously: What's illegal about that??

Marian - who should finally make his CD of logo music from his DVDs...

Does anybody know which composer did the logo for Universal Pictures (the one with the planet and stars). There's like a touch of Williams in it too. Don't know if anybody noticed it.

The bootleg of Blade Runner features the Ladd Company logo. They presumably thought it was part of the Blade Runner experience.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Does anybody know which composer did the logo for Universal Pictures (the one with the planet and stars). There's like a touch of Williams in it too. Don't know if anybody noticed it.

The bootleg of Blade Runner features the Ladd Company logo. They presumably thought it was part of the Blade Runner experience.

----------------

Alex Cremers

someone correct me if i am wrong but i think that was Jerry Goldsmith

someone correct me if i am wrong but i think that was Jerry Goldsmith

If that's true, boy, he's the last one one my list I would have suspected.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The most recent music for Universal Studios was in fact composed by Goldsmith.

Ted

thanks for confirming... i thought i remembered that correctly :)

Stefancos- who looooves Goldsmith's Universal Theme, even though it's a blatant rippoff from Horners opening for Clear and Present Danger

You know... I thought that too!!!

BTW Marian, you're right... there is nothing illegal about making audio clips of the logo music from the DVD. I'm not trading it so it's cool!

-Erik-

Stefancos wrote:

Ummm...read the thread dude, before you start asking dumb questions.

I've read it. I don't see it. Maybe I'm too tired.

Please, explain why you think I'm asking dumb questions, Stefancos, and leave the insults.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The latest Universal logo music is by Goldsmith (and great). But the "one with the stars" is by Horner I believe.

Marian - who once ripped the Goldsmith cue from DVD.

how about the Universal logo music on the E.T. DVD. for the 2002 premiere,is that Williams only or Goldsmith music with the E.T. theme interpolated?.

K.M.who has a wave file of the complete Amblin logo theme but has no idea where it's from.

And dont forget about Soundtrack.Net's page devoted to loo music, and composers. Check it out at http://www.soundtrack.net/logomusic/

There are a few missing like Regency Pictures which is strings from Danny Elfman's Summersby Score...

Matt:)

BTW, Williams' Amblin Logo is on the VHS version of Young Sherlock Holmes and the DreamWorks Logo you can get from almost any DreamWorks picture.  The original version is on the Peacemaker DVD.

Erik, who composed the music to "Young Sherlock"? Do you know that? Along with "The War of the Roses", these are my two non-JW must-haves and I can't seem to stumble upon a copy of either of the two.

Stefancos- who looooves Goldsmith's Universal Theme, even though it's a blatant rippoff from Horners opening for Clear and Present Danger

You know... I thought that too!!!

BTW Marian, you're right... there is nothing illegal about making audio clips of the logo music from the DVD. I'm not trading it so it's cool!

-Erik-

Well, would you mind trading? :)

MSM

Who composed the music to "Young Sherlock"?

His name is Bruce Broughton. He has composed the music for some Disney movies and the Tiny Toon theme :)

I still would like to invite you to answer this question, Stefancos.

Stefancos wrote:

Ummm...read the thread dude, before you start asking dumb questions.

Please, explain why you think I'm asking dumb questions, Stefancos, and leave the insults.

Alex Cremers

LOL, i was joking around with you.

Since the Ladd Logo was mentioned i thought it usefull to ad that it was composed by Williams. (for people who did not know this)

You misunderstood the form of my sentence, so i decided to make fun of you.

Simple as that.

And no, I do not apologize.

Stefancos- :)

how about the Universal logo music on the E.T. DVD. for the 2002 premiere,is that Williams only or Goldsmith music with the E.T. theme interpolated?

That's Goldsmith's fanfare with Williams' E.T. theme at the end. And while both pieces are great on their own, putting the Williams at the end of the Goldsmith completely ruins it.

Marian - who hates that version of the fanfare.

who composed the music to "Young Sherlock"? Do you know that? Along with "The War of the Roses", these are my two non-JW must-haves and I can't seem to stumble upon a copy of either of the two.

Young Sherlock Holmes = The great (and highly underworked) Bruce Broughton

The War Of The Roses = The equally great (and sadly pigeon-holed) David Newman

BigKen: Who thinks "The Boy Who Could Fly" is probably the most under appreciated score of the 80's

Actually, the Ladd Company Logo was composed by John Williams.

And ripping off Horner is...........bad? I do love Universal's theme most than any other studio, even more than fox fanfarre.

Dreamworks logo theme sound like that of an independent studio company. I don't like the approach.

Well, Charles, when you think about it, Dreamworks was prety much an independent studio when they started, and in many ways they still are. The budgets on a lot of their films are co-financed with bigger ones. Very rarely do they do a film on their own.

Jeff -- who likes pretty much all the logo music

Three Williams logos were released in cd:

Universal logo: composed in the late 60's, was first used on The Rare Breed -- this is in fact a melodic fragment form that score. This is available as part of the suite recorded by Silva Screen in 1999

Ladd Company logo -- oficially released as part of John Barry's Body Heat (a limited cd realease was available from Southern Cross, released in 1989). This was later included on the already mentioned Blade Runner bootleg.

Amblin logo -- to my knowledge this was only available as part of a Young Sherlock Holmes bootleg.

And then we have the recent reworking of Goldsmith's logo music for Universal, with music from ET, that we all know from the 20th anniversary edition, and that is included on the dvd release.

And then we have the recent reworking of Goldsmith's logo music for Universal, with music from ET, that we all know from the 20th anniversary edition, and that is included on the dvd release.

ah,I thought the opening bars sounded like Goldsmith,a bit like the original intro of Star Trek TMP.

K.M.Who didn't remember it on the c.d.

BigKen: Who thinks "The Boy Who Could Fly" is probably the most under appreciated score of the 80's

I heard a piece from that score on Radio@AOL the other day, and loved it. It was very beautiful, and I was surprised that I hadn't heard more about it. I also love Broughton's score to Homeward Bound.

Ray Barnsbury

ah,I thought the opening bars sounded like Goldsmith,a bit like the original intro of Star Trek TMP.

K.M.Who didn't remember it on the c.d.

The logo isn't on the cd, but on the dvd.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the featurette on the E.T. 20th Anniversary DVD, where Williams conducts the live orchestra during the premiere of the film (first of all, outstanding idea... would've loved to be there). And I've gotta admit, when the orchestra plays the Universal-fanfare with that little E.T.-ending, it brought tears to my eyes... I don't know why, but I bet, if I was there, I would've cried (just a little bit)...

OK, now back to my masculinity... uhm... I'll go shave now... and spit...