The Shawshank Redemption (T. Newman) vs The Lion King (H. Zimmer)

Fabulin

The Shawshank Redemption (T. Newman) vs The Lion King (H. Zimmer)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. The better score

• The Shawshank Redemption
    • The Lion King

...or...a certain J. Williams esq., for SAVING PRIVATE RYAN :)

These scores seem to be chalk and cheese, but THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION stamps all over THE LION KING, and goes "Cock-a-doodle doo". Good day, to you, sir!

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Shawshank

Newman should've won in 94.

Let's end it, there.

Shawshank is probably better as music but is it more enjoyable? The Lion King, on the other hand, started my hobby. I'm undecided. 

Karol

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's too much, Bruce, even from you.

Who is the professional film music critic; me or you?😁

TSS is one of the most overrated films of all time.

Check out ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ to see how it's done( you can read my article on the film in CINEMA RETRO)!

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Let's end it, there.

Nah, he's right. If Zimmer ever deserved an Oscar, it was for The Thin Red Line. Just as Newman's Oscar should have been for Shawshank.

29 minutes ago, KK said:

Nah, he's right. If Zimmer ever deserved an Oscar, it was for The Thin Red Line. Just as Newman's Oscar should have been for Shawshank.

Newman deserv3d it for PERDITION

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Lemony Snicket, The Good German... he could've won for all of these movies. In every one of those cases the score that won was inferior to Newman's.

The Red Violin > American Beauty (though the Newman is more iconic, and influential)

I would agree that the others you listed were ultimately better than what won, but they were all in very competitive batches of some quality scores (with the exception of Babel...which is a massive Academy fuckup). And the contenders were usually attached to higher prestige films.

But Shawshank is where the merit and prestige of the film and music aligned in how it resonated with audiences everywhere. Both Shawshank and American Beauty were his best chances at the Oscar, especially given how those scores went on to define his place in Hollywood and the many imitators that followed him.