Restored Isolated Score: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Holko

I ran into Peter Coyote at an event months after I saw the film, June 1982.

I recognized him but couldn't remember what I saw him in- he was pretty unknown at the time.

Now I realize why: you never really get to see any of the adults faces until late in the film!

Wow can't wait to watch this - this looks awesome!

Out of curiously, what made you want to highlight the alternate take for Keyes Enters The House in the alternates video, but not the alternate takes for The First Meeting, E.T's Powers, or Into the House?

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Out of curiously, what made you want to highlight the alternate take for Keyes Enters The House in the alternates video, but not the alternate takes for The First Meeting, E.T's Powers, or Into the House?

I decided Keyes Enters had a significantly different enough bit in place of a memorable section - the strings and winds instead of the pipe organ solo.

The First Meeting was on the table but it turned out to be longer than the final cut and it doesn't even really do much different beside using a different instrument. So I decided not to bother. I realise it's all subjective but obviously some alternates are more alternate than others and look more interesting.

I didn't notice anything different in Into the House either besides that one more Call on a woodwind and different timing for the second half.

E.T.'s Powers? checks spreadsheet  Oh. So it's not on the LLL, that's why I wasn't aware of it. Listening to the 2002 and LLL versions back to back in sections, I honestly can't tell where that overlay is on first try, so it can't be that significant.

Aye, that Keyes Enters the House difference is probably the most noticeable of all the alt take stuff

Aye, the extra harp in E.T.'s Powers is relatively subtle

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Aye, that Keyes Enters the House difference is probably the most noticeable of all the alt take stuff

Aye, the extra harp in E.T.'s Powers is relatively subtle

Aye, dunno matey, claire-o'net versus Pick-lo be a my-tee obvee dif'rinse

One of most original aspects of the score is the opening- when the space craft descends to earth and E.T. explores the forest. JW scores this in unison, the way Rozsa might do for for a Biblical epic( BEN HUR etc).

It lends an aura of religiosity and deep spirituality , which the film itself will convey as the story plays out.

Like I said, Williams was inspired by the finished cut and wrote music of the heart and soul.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...