JWFan's Greatest Films: Tic Tac Toe!

Firstly, this is a very casual thread, just a fun game. I've regretted pretty much every thread I've posted this week but I had just another cool idea for a game. If it works out, we can do maybe something like it again next year, just to give more members a chance at a new list.

We will create a list of greatest movies ordered from #1 to 20, and if you win a round your name will be placed on the list, as a sort of award for winning that round. Our official list will be posted above.

The winner appears like this in the list:

1. Movie (1988) - nominated by member1, member2, and member3

The starting rules of the game are as follows:

1. Post one nomination for favorite film, with the year in brackets

2. Now you can keep posting nominations any time

3. The first winner of 1st place are the three members who get 3 in a row, without other films in between. Social strategy is involved! Those 3 members who come to an agreement

4. If you win this round you can't participate for 2 more rounds! (until round 4), but you win the mention

So it's but a 'game' in the purest sense of the word. An experiment, just for fun. Let's see what happens.

5. Repeat the process for 2nd place, 3rd etc. The winners of round 1 can't participate until 4th place. Winners of round 2 can't participate again until 5th place, etc.

I feel like this thread will get really spammy but if you don't like it just ignore. Okay let's see what happens... Go!

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm afraid I'm with Bruce on this one. I can't understand the rules.

Could I help you understand? The winner of first place is the film 3 people decide to post in a row, tic tac toe.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Shrek (2001)

Afraid I can't settle just yet! Let's see where we go... someone else mentioned this favorite, probably won't work:

The Departed (2006)

2 hours ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

I don't get it. The rules are written very simple.

I just think the likelihood of three people posting the same favourite movie three times in a row, is so small, it's basically non-existant. And I don't really understand what that accomplishes?

But anyway:

ALIEN (1979)

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I just think the likelihood of three people posting the same favourite movie three times in a row, is so small, it's basically non-existant. And I don't really understand what that accomplishes?

Maybe this game is too complex for some here:

The likelihood of 3 people posting a movie in a row is very high if people want to win, which is the object of the game (to get their name on the official scoreboard.) Ie. did I post any of my favorite movies yet? No. I typed some that I like, that I think I can win with.

If you only post movies that other people like, the list we'd come up with would be a loss for you as well.

1 hour ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Maybe this game is too complex for some here:

The likelihood of 3 people posting a movie in a row is very high if people want to win, which is the object of the game (to get their name on the official scoreboard.) Ie. did I post any of my favorite movies yet? No. I typed some that I like, that I think I can win with.

If you only post movies that other people like, the list we'd come up with would be a loss for you as well.

But why would I post a title that is not a favourite? Is it just about three people mentioning the same film three times in a row? That's rather bizarre.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Is it just about three people mentioning the same film three times in a row?

No, as stated previously.

The way I understand it, if people want to win, they have to wait for someone to post a random title, then for somebody else to repeat that same title, and then post it for a third time. Of course, this only works if people get impatient, otherwise everybody will wait for everybody else to repeat the title for the first time so they can be third. Game theory wise it sounds like a stalemate.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The way I understand it, if people want to win, they have to wait for someone to post a random title, then for somebody else to repeat that same title, and then post it for a third time. Of course, this only works if people get impatient, otherwise everybody will wait for everybody else to repeat the title for the first time so they can be third. Game theory wise it sounds like a stalemate.

All three are the winners :) See OP.

But they're not winners if they just post some random movie. Who would want their name next to a terrible movie that says 'Top 1 film nominated by'? The rules of this game were posted so crystal clear but people haven't grasped it:

This a social experiment game; I want to see what will happen so I can adjust the rules to be better and better. But this forum doesn't like games or social expirements :(

But this forum doesn't like games or social expirements :(

I do, if I can understand the rules and purpose.