blondheim

I'm deep-diving 1987. Over this year it seems I've discovered new appreciation for a lot of scores that came out this year. I guess it all started with the Vienna Devil's Dance, which I still can't get enough of. That threw me into Eastwick and had me dancing to The Ballroom Scene forever. The theme in that track makes me wish John Williams had a little more Horner in him and didn't mind throwing that absolute masterpiece into a couple more scores. Sue me for liking more Casper's theme. I'm off-track. Anyway, then there was Lionheart fuss and then I'm always listening to Basil because I'm obsessed and decided to rewatch RoboCop and then that didn't stop spinning for weeks. So I started extending my tendrils and reached out for Project X and *batteries, which are two scores that I didn't get along with before but I now think may be masterpieces. 1987's been having a real good 2021.

So what the hey, I thought I'd ask:

What are everyone's favorite scores from this year? Be specific, I wanna talk about music. And get obscure if you can. I wanna discover some shit.

1987 was pretty great, though will always stand in 1989's shadow

My faves: 

John Williams - Empire of the Sun

Alan Silvestri - Predator

Basil Poledouris - Robocop

John Barry - The Living Daylights

John Williams - The Witches of Eastwick

Michael Kamen - Lethal Weapon

John Morris - Spaceballs

Jerry Goldsmith - Innerspace

Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables

Alexander Courage - Superman IV

Other notable scores that I haven't personally gotten into, but many around here love

Jerry Goldsmith - Lionheart

Jerry Goldsmith - Extreme Prejudice

James Horner - Batteries Not Included

James Horner - Project X

Bill Conti - Masters of the Universe

Bruce Broughton - The Monster Squad

Bruce Broughton - Harry and the Hendersons

Thomas Newman - The Lost Boys

Michael Kamen - Adventures in Babysitting

Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop II

Robert Folk - Police Academy 4

Mark Knopfler - The Princess Bride

Alan Silvestri - Overboard

Michael Small - Jaws The Revenge

We also got Nubuo Uematsu's Final Fantasy score in 1987, though he'd do his best work for the series in the 90s.

My 1987 faves are quite similar to Jay’s, but replacing Spaceballs for Jaws IV and adding some others that he did not included among his favorites.

John Williams - Empire of the Sun

Alan Silvestri - Predator

Basil Poledouris - Robocop

John Barry - The Living Daylights

John Williams - The Witches of Eastwick

Michael Kamen - Lethal Weapon

Michael Small - Jaws The Revenge

Jerry Goldsmith - Innerspace

Ennio Morricone - The Untouchables

Alexander Courage - Superman IV
Jerry Goldsmith - Lionheart

Bill Conti - Masters of the Universe

Sakamoto - The Last Emperor

It was a strong year - but then again, which year in the 1980s didn't had at least a few film music classics? Anyway, I personally prefer 1989, but from 1987 my favorites are Lionheart, TWoE and Untouchables.

In 1987 I was 13 yo.

Movies of that year which got my attention (at the time or short time after when they aired on TV): A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dreams Warriors, The Witches of Eastwick, Spaceballs, Robocop, Dirty Dancing, Less than Zero, Three Men and a Baby.

The best scores of 1987, I only got interested in them, 10 years later...

Many good ones have been mentioned already. LESS THAN ZERO, for example (my second favourite Newman after SHAWSHANK). But some other favs not mentioned so far:

THREE O'CLOCK HIGH (Levay/TD)

SHY PEOPLE (TD)

NEAR DARK (TD)

CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (Folk)

WHITE OF THE EYE (Mason)

PROMISED LAND (JNH)

CASTAWAY (Zimmer & Myers)

CRY FREEDOM (Fenton)

SECRET OF THE SAHARA (Morricone)

GLI OCCHIALI D'ORO (Morricone)

HELLRAISER (Young)

DOWN TWISTED (Berlin Game)

NO MAN'S LAND (Poledouris)

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM (North)

CRITICAL CONDITION (Silvestri)

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Many good ones have been mentioned already. LESS THAN ZERO, for example (my second favourite Newman after SHAWSHANK). But some other favs not mentioned so far:

SHY PEOPLE (TD)

NEAR DARK (TD)

CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (Folk)

WHITE OF THE EYE (Mason)

PROMISED LAND (JNH)

CRY FREEDOM (Fenton)

HELLRAISER (Young)

Can you tell me more about some of these scores? Why you like them, etc.? I haven't heard of very many of these, even though I like every composer on the list. Except Berlin Game, who I haven't heard.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

SHY PEOPLE (TD)

NEAR DARK (TD)

CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (Folk)

WHITE OF THE EYE (Mason)

PROMISED LAND (JNH)

CRY FREEDOM (Fenton)

HELLRAISER (Young)

I forgot Hellraiser, definitely among my top faves of that year.

7 hours ago, blondheim said:

Can you tell me more about some of these scores? Why you like them, etc.? I haven't heard of very many of these, even though I like every composer on the list. Except Berlin Game, who I haven't heard.

SHY PEOPLE (TD)

NEAR DARK (TD)

Tangerine Dream is always great, but they were on fire in this period. SHY PEOPLE is a particular fav of mine, probably top 3 TD. Wonderful, mysterious and wide-open. The title song is a rare example of them doing songs in the first place.

CAN'T BUY ME LOVE (Folk)

Not remarkable or anything, but warm and broad orchestral drama writing.

WHITE OF THE EYE (Mason)

Nick Mason (of PInk Floyd) did this one score in his life, and it's quite good and moody. Was finally released a couple of years ago.

PROMISED LAND (JNH)

JNH pre-PRETTY WOMAN breakthrough is great. Lofty electronic textures, perhaps with added pop elements (like electric guitar).

Part zithering electronic textures, part explorative orchestral stuff. Grows on you after a few listenings. It's very hard to find in physical format these days.

CRY FREEDOM (Fenton)

Again, wide and spacey, with classic west-meets-African stylings. The expansive and choral "The Funeral" (either a traditional or a Jonas Gwangwa piece) steals the show, though.

Two Morricone gems. First is a fan favourite with its desert settings and tropes, second a classic, melancholic/bittersweet drama score that he does so well.

HELLRAISER (Young)

The ultimate "delicious darkness" horror score, wherein the horror is treated operatically and melodically rather than just a bunch of stingers and drones. "Ressurection" is one of the best cues of the 80s.

Awesome and funky synth score. Group consisted of Eric Allaman and Reinhard Scheuregger. Allaman famously worked with TD on the score to LEGEND.

Poledouris' first -- and really only attempt -- at doing 80s synth/synthpop stylings both of the moody and funky kind, and he succeeds surprisingly well. For a long time, this was coupled with CHERRY 2000 on a boot.

Not a lot of score, but it's a consonant, poetic affair that showcases his style outside the progressive and modernistic. Of course, it's completely overlooked by the songs in the film.

Fun synth score, back when Silvestri was doing all those wonderful Synclavier II things, with Linndrum drum machines and whatnot. Coupled with the equally entertaining SUMMER RENTAL on CD a few years back.