FIDDLER ON THE ROOF: 50th Anniversary Remastered Edition from La-La Land Records (3-CD)

Chewy

I hear it too! But I even hear it in the clip above...maybe not so much in the voice but in the background instrumental. Seems like a small oversight in mastering, perhaps. Or there was a "problem" with the original recording and this was the best fix they could come up with. Just speculating.

4 hours ago, Loert said:

I hear it too! But I even hear it in the clip above...maybe not so much in the voice but in the background instrumental. Seems like a small oversight in mastering, perhaps. Or there was a "problem" with the original recording and this was the best fix they could come up with. Just speculating.

Yeah, now that you mention it I may hear it a bit in the film clip, as well! My first thought was that this was just a screw-up with the new release… But then again, in some ways I doubt this would be an oversight issue on Matessino’s end, since this is such a notable track that differs from the album version (MM even talks about this track in the Legacy of John Williams podcast episode for this release). You would think he would have noticed it.

Perhaps that’s just how it was in the original elements (which, if the film is the same way, that would lend credence to that idea), or maybe like you said there was a “problem,” and this was the fix—albeit a noticeable one. Who knows!

Sounds like two different performances being crossfaded, with the volume on the second half starting a bit lower than it should, before settling at the correct volume after a second.

It's probably fixable by adjusting the volume in Audacity or audio editing software.

• 3 weeks later...

So, complete newb here… Hi!

My father, who passed away last year, was a London violin session musician from the late sixties onwards. I am trying to piece together a catalogue of his work and I am reliably informed he was in the orchestra for this film’s soundtrack (he did a lot of film soundtracks) but can find no listing of the ost orchestra members anywhere. You lot seem rather well informed so any ideas? Is there a listing in the booklets that came with the 50th anniversary release?

Thanks 

🙏

@Swanny We do indeed have a list of the players from at least the Fiddler Film Sessions that were presented in the 50th anniversary package.

I've also been cataloging all of the players we know about from the specialty releases. If you wanted to give me the name I can see what we (the general public) know so far?

EDIT: I guess I should have checked first but our known list of London contractors like those on Fiddler is rather limited but I'm still happy to take a look :)

On 27/1/2024 at 3:41 PM, KittBash said:

@Swanny We do indeed have a list of the players from at least the Fiddler Film Sessions that were presented in the 50th anniversary package.

I've also been cataloging all of the players we know about from the specialty releases. If you wanted to give me the name I can see what we (the general public) know so far?

EDIT: I guess I should have checked first but our known list of London contractors like those on Fiddler is rather limited but I'm still happy to take a look :)

@KittBash thanks so much for your reply, my dad was James (Jim) Archer, could be listed as J. Archer violin. 🤞

@Swanny There is indeed a J. Archer credited in the Fiddler 50th liner notes. 
So far it’s the only instance I have found but we only really have the specialty labels liner notes to go on and the London lists are few and far between. The lists must exist somewhere. 

here’s. A photo of the violins listed on Fiddler. 

IMG_0757.jpeg

@KittBash wow, that’s a big band!

Thanks so much for this!

I recognise a lot of names there, I believe it was recorded in England (London) as there are a lot of my father’s London colleagues included in that list. Violins, Violas and cellists that I recognise.
So is this information available anywhere as a pdf? I would like to send it to the surviving musicians (there are not many) and the families of those no longer with us.