Favorite Elfman Folksy/Americana score?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite?

• Sommersby
    • Black Beauty
    • Big Fish
    • Charlotte’s Web
    • Other

It’s a special kind of style that Elfman has dipped into periodically. And I adore his scores in this mode.  Sommersby in particular was such a breakout score for him. He became much more than the wild card “Burton movie score” guy. 

Im sure I might have missed some peoples favorites in this area of Elfman’s career. (Does “Promised Land Count” for example?) In any case, I meant no disrespect.

Whats your favorite?

I love Big Fish, but I find that the whole is not the great listening experience compared to just its highlights.  Sommersby is a much more mature and complete piece overall.  Both are great!

Oh and I do adore Black Beauty as well!  Charlotte's Web I listened to only the once though.

I listened to Charlotte’s Web yesterday while I was thinking about this poll. I listened to it right after Black Beauty actually and it blurred together for me a bit. But it’s really wonderful. It has a handful of themes, but nothing quite as sticky and long-lined as Black Beauty. But I love the opening track in particular. It’s a pretty joyous score from Elfman.

Speaking of joyous- his score to “Epic” has some really wonderful folksy parts. Kinda feels like he was asked to emulate John Powell on that one a bit.

I like this style of Elfman and like all 4 of these scores, but I'm most familiar with Black Beauty and Sommersby thanks to their suits on MFADT2, and later the Black Beauty expansion.  So I'll pick that one but this makes me want to revisit all 4

SOMMERSBY.

But both BIG FISH and BLACK BEAUTY are brilliant. CHARLOTTE'S WEB is fine, but not on that level.

Also a shout-out to A SIMPLE PLAN. As you suggest, I suppose you could include PROMISED LAND too (sorta) -- which is top 3 Elfman for me in the last decade.

Circling back to the powerhouse finale cue from Big Fish, I rewatched that one on Netflix. What a stellar heart-tugging cue. 

I was actually wanting to due a poll of Elfman’s best “Grand Finale” cues. I have a feeling it would be a showdown between Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish…

Two different sides of Elfman. Both tear jerking. 

1 minute ago, WampaRat said:

Circling back to the powerhouse finale cue from Big Fish, I rewatched that one on Netflix. What a stellar heart-tugging cue. 

I was actually wanting to due a poll of Elfman’s best “Grand Finale” cues. I have a feeling it would be a showdown between Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish…

Two different sides of Elfman. Both tear jerking. 

Actually if I had to pick second favorite finale cue after Big Fish, my choice would probably be Batman Returns.  I mean, Penguin's death... holy moly!

Sommersby is Elfman's Dances With Wolves. It's unique and wonderful so, naturally, going with this. I would love him to do a period drama score like this again.

Black Beauty would be close second.

Karol

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Sommersby is Elfman's Dances With Wolves. It's unique and wonderful so, naturally, going with this. I would love him to do a period drama score like this again.

Black Beauty would be close second.

Karol

Not Americana at all, but I guess Tulip Fever was the last period drama he scored.  I know I listened to it, but it left no impression.