Lord of the Rings film rights for sale

Chen G.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

So Amazon will probably outbid everyone else to get this?

We'll have to wait and see. If Amazon put their money on streaming shows, then the film rights aren't really all that useful to them. Warners might want these more badly.

The gaming rights, though...

Saul Zaentz died a couple years back. His heirs are probably looking to cash in while the Amazon buzz is hot, but before the inevitable crash of disappointment.

Assuming they are not looking to reboot the films any time soon, this does mostly have to do with merchandise. But hard to say if anything involving the New Line subfrancise would change, i.e., any merchandise having to do with the PJ films is probably by New Line under an existing license which is not likely to change (and they just pay Middle-earth Enterprises a cut).

If Warners nab this, it'll mean smoother sailing approving any film-related project (ahem... Doug Adams' book... ahem) because one less party to check with.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:25 PM, Chen G. said:

But it’s understood that in the Zaentz Co.’s view, substantial live-action film rights reverted back to them last year in part because Warner Bros. had not been actively developing new “LOTR” and related content. 

(emphasis mine)

I'm almost certain this is related to the surprise, out of the blue announcement a while back about the animated Rohirrim film going into production. 

I'd really like to know more about what happened here. Seems really unusual that Warner's would drop the ball on the live-action rights so easily.

It is interesting.

Zaentz' estate does also hold the rights to make an animated film just the same: I mean, he only got a hold of them for the Bakshi film...

Yep...

Warner Bros. Flexes ‘Lord of the Rings’ Muscle Amid Conflict Over Film Rights

The studio has publicly stated its control over film adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien’s classic fantasy trilogy amid rumblings in the industry that a clutch of “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” rights are being shoppedby longtime owner, the Saul Zaentz Co.

“New Line Cinema has maintained the theatrical film rights, both live-action and animated, for over two decades now,” a Warner Bros. spokeswoman told Variety. “We are currently in production on our anime film ‘The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim’ and look forward to bringing audiences back to Middle-earth.”

Interestingly, Nick, I recall you thought Boyens' involvement in The War of the Rohirrim was merely a formality, which certainly seemed like it. But now... she's suddenly gone to being  an executive producer and her daughter is rewriting the script.

Feels like a takeover.

• 3 weeks later...