Jerry Goldsmith's THE SAND PEBBLES (1966) - NEW! 2022 Intrada edition

Jay

This is a slightly updated version of their 2011 release, with two tracks moved in location and technical issues addressed.  Further info from Roger:

"Sand Pebbles will be back in stock. For those astute observers, everything will look the same except the volume number. Since the album was initially released so long ago we're in a better position to address some anomalies in the recording we couldn't previously. So there's wow removed among other things. Nothing to rush out an repurchase unless you were bothered by it. Perfection is a journey, not a destination"

&

"Also to let you know the Sand Pebbles will be back in stock this afternoon. We did a slight bit of resequencing as well. Since Goldsmith preferred his original version of the Overture (which is how he opened the LP program and now with the wow removed we moved that to the opening of the album."

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888

Not sure if I'm being dim (don't answer that) but the initial blurb of it being "newly re-mixed, re-mastered from original multi-track stereo elements vaulted at 20th Century Fox" suggests a pretty decent upgrade. However, the follow up information suggests a slightly more marginal improvement so kinda torn as to whether it's worth a double dip in this case... can't say the source music interests me at all (in the pantheon of bonus tracks, source music is usually the stuff I'm least interested in). Might be a wait and see situation...

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

The press release is the same one from 2011, the forum posts by Roger reveal it's more than just a straight reissue

Indeed, but makes it harder to decide whether it get it*

*spoiler alert, I'll probably get it.

The previous Intrada 2CD release came out over a decade ago and the software to remove wow (as applied so dramatically by Chris Malone on everything from Goldsmith's Take Her, She's Mine to Newman's The Diary of Anne Frank) simply wasn't in use at the time. So I'm in for this double dip, both for that and because they've properly swapped the film version of the overture with Jerry's superior original version (which featured the wonderful Chinese Love Theme instead of the "main" love theme...which I've always kinda disliked).

Yavar

It's not just swapped;

On the 2011 edition, the "Overture" opened disc 1 while the "Overture (Film Version)" opened disc 2

Here, the "Overture (Film Version)" opens disc 1, but the "Overture" does not open Disc 2 - it's now in the middle of the main program on disc 1, after the Entr'acte

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The previous Intrada 2CD release came out over a decade ago and the software to remove wow (as applied so dramatically by Chris Malone on everything from Goldsmith's Take Her, She's Mine to Newman's The Diary of Anne Frank) simply wasn't in use at the time. So I'm in for this double dip, both for that and because they've properly swapped the film version of the overture with Jerry's superior original version (which featured the wonderful Chinese Love Theme instead of the "main" love theme...which I've always kinda disliked).

Yavar

I'm sure there's a decent upgrade in sound, it was just a bit more mixed on the messaging than usual! Usually it's either "this is a massive improvement" (Wrath of Kahn - buy) or "this is basically the same" (TMP - happy with 3CD set) but 11 years of software improvements are enough to convince me. The reordering of the overtures seems a bit odd, but I guess putting it in the middle should as a kind of Entr'acte like Patton. I really feel I ought to be better acquainted with The Sand Pebbles. I've listened to it enough times but I don't really feel I know it at all, although I was glad to pick up the RSNO re-recording a few months ago (random second hand shop purchase) which makes a nice companion.

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I guess putting it in the middle should as a kind of Entr'acte like Patton

Except that this score already has an entr'acte cue...

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Except that this score already has an entr'acte cue...

Hah yes, maybe it just fits there or perhaps they just didn't want it lost in the bonus tracks. Should have put it at the start so you get two Overtures, like a HTTYD expansion ;-)

Doug's Corner provides the explanation for why the other Overture is in the middle of CD1:

"Recently made available again is Jerry Goldsmith’s sensational 1966 epic, The Sand Pebbles. Our previous 2-CD set has been given a revisit with some modest tweaks to the audio and a re-sequencing that places Goldsmith’s (and our) favorite “Overture” at the start with the other version playing as an overture to the second half of the score - and now on the same disc, allowing listeners to enjoy both magnificent pieces without having to flip the discs. Golly!"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8893