Official Dirk Brossé Thread

Bespin

BTW, "The Wings of a Film ‎– The Music of Hans Zimmer (2001)", even with its fade-out applauses is a grrrreat (and I think underrated) album.

MDctMzczOC5qcGVn.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

After getting Beltrami, Sakamoto and Danna's ‎Tribute albums, I just order Gabriel Yared's one.

Cheers for making this extensive overview. All of these recordings (except for the Genius of Film Music album, which is unrelated to the festival) have been produced by Film Fest Ghent in the context of the festival's focus on film music. 

If any of you'd like to support the source, you can find and buy all in-print albums here:

https://shop.filmfestival.be/collections/cd

On 18/05/2022 at 8:43 PM, Bespin said:

BTW, "The Wings of a Film ‎– The Music of Hans Zimmer (2001)", even with its fade-out applauses is a grrrreat (and I think underrated) album.

Incidentally, all other Film Fest Ghent albums - except the Zimmer CD and the 15 Year WSA promo CD - are studio recordings. 

I believe you missed one promo album, which is a live concert recording of one of the earliest World Soundtrack Awards concerts featuring music by Delerue and Fenton. It's included in this book:

https://shop.filmfestival.be/collections/books/products/moving-music-engelstalig-boek-cd-beroemde-filmcomponisten-aan-het-woord

• 3 months later...

Allow me to shamelessly repeat something I've been posting for 4 eyars.

1. We NEED a proper release of Mr Brossé's fantastic John Williams cocnert at the Royal Albert Hall.

2. And we need a re-recording with the Brussels Phil of all these pieces, most particularly Han Solo and the Princess. Brossé seems to be the only conductor who understands how to perform this piece. His rendition was hearttwrenching.

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Allow me to shamelessly repeat something I've been posting for 4 eyars.

1. We NEED a proper release of Mr Brossé's fantastic John Williams cocnert at the Royal Albert Hall.

2. And we need a re-recording with the Brussels Phil of all these pieces, most particularly Han Solo and the Princess. Brossé seems to be the only conductor who understands how to perform this piece. His rendition was hearttwrenching.

Re 1.: I suppose that would really boost sales of the LSO's house label.

Re 2: OK, as long as the sound engineers don't fail like on some of their compilations.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I bought the Marco Beltrami compilation the other day. It is a wonderful album. Some of the selections might seem puzzling at first but, as composer himself explains, it is to show some variety of material. Really good stuff. I've heard some of the Isham stuff and Yared as well and might get those albums as well. :)

I really enjoyed the Beltrami compilation too, nice to have a collection of stuff by the sort of composer who doesn't really get such albums. Having said that, I'm not sure it's made me remember any of his works more than I could say I knew them already! The Isham and Yared albums equally worthwhile picking up.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

What absolutely needs to happen is for Brosse to record a massive 2CD compilation of Elliot Goldenthal suites. The composer created multiple lengthy concert arrangements over the years - Inverview with a Vampire, Titus, Batman Robin/Batman & Robin, Michael Collins, Frida, Alien 3, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - which desperate need recordings. I've heard the majority of those live and they are absolute gems.

Karol

Agreed on Elliot Goldenthal, he could use a really good album of his music - especially since it could lay claim to be, if not quite definitive, then at least a very good summation of his oeuvre, given that he rarely writes film scores these days. If there are suites ready to go, it makes it an even better bet. Something similar for Christopher Young and Basil Poledouris would be great too, they are woefully neglected when it comes to compilation albums/re-recorded suites.