Live action “How to Train Your Dragon” coming 2025 - John Powell

Tom Guernsey

From the way I see it, Powell will have to compose the music for a 4th Dragon film, naturally drawing inspiration from the music he created for the previous films. It's like when John Williams composes the music for a 42nd Star Wars film – there's new music, and old themes that still work are reused.

Moreover, didn't Menken do something similar for the live-action adaptations of Disney classics? The hits are there, but there are also some new tunes because the scenes and transitions are no longer identical.

9 minutes ago, Bespin said:

like when John Williams composes the music for a 42nd Star Wars film

I didn't know we were already on Star Wars: Episode XLII :lol:

But if you're talking about The Phantom Menace, I believe this is a completely different situation. TPM had different characters and a newer storyline unlike the one seen in A New Hope. OTOH this HTTYD remake will be just that - a remake of the first movie, but in live-action.

It will tell the same story with the same characters, perhaps a few things will be expanded in order to increase the runtime (the original HTTYD ran for 98 minutes, including the credits) but essentially it'll be the same thing. So Powell will have much less room for innovation than Williams did with any SW movie he did after ANH.

The comparison with Menken's (and Zimmer's) Disney live action remake is more apt though. Even still, I think the biggest "innovations" the remake scores brought over the originals are a few new songs and how they were integrated to the main score.

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Moreover, didn't Menken do something similar for the live-action adaptations of Disney classics? The hits are there, but there are also some new tunes because the scenes and transitions are no longer identical.

I think Menken had very little to do with the actual composing of the new underscore.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

They could just make the story closer to the original book, which is veeery different. 

I would LOVE that.

Also, for the love of Odin, put David Tennant in this thing!

• 1 month later...