A Philippe Rombi Thread

GerateWohl

Rombi is a fan favourite in film music circles, because he - like Yared - refuses to adher to contemporary tropes, and mostly does scores in a traditional, romantic, symphonic idiom. There's much to applaud in that, especially because he does it so well, but it also says something about his limitations.

LE TEMPS DE SECRET was a highlight in that regard last year. Other favs of mine include DANS LA MAISON and LA NOUVELLE GUERRE DES BOUTONS.

I think, He also does this semi-electronic stuff quite well.

But yeah, that's not necessarily music that I am much interested in.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

There's much to applaud in that, especially because he does it so well, but it also says something about his limitations.

I always prefer composers with limitations in sound design over composers with limitations in musical composition and arrangement.

• 2 months later...

Gave Angel a spin today and bloody hell, what a marvellous score. Also gave his latest score for Francois Ozon a listen, Mon Crime, which is like if Chinatown had been fun... Clearly need to explore more of his stuff, especially for Ozon, who seems to be a regular collaborator.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, 

I've been listening to Rombi since "Love me if you Dare" which is a beautiful romantic classic score :

https://youtu.be/nRoYCdu1zwk?si=8OCr9g2UQ6YhYgdH

I love the way he arranges the orchestra.

Another beautiful score of his : "Joyeux Noel". The first track is obviously temp tracked with Zimmer's "Thin Red Line" but once you get to the rest of the score it's pure Rombi :

https://youtu.be/VSdkhnKELOA?si=a1-1UEgh0YnFHEW-

Rombi is great (last year's LES TEMPS DES SECRETS was great, so a fairly recent 'success' too), but VISIONS didn't do much for me, I'm afraid. Thriller is an unforgiving genre.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Thriller is an unforgiving genre.

I don't know exactly what you mean by that.  But truly there are rarely outstanding thriller scores. Often it seems they copy eachother. When I think of great thriller scores then Basic Instinct comes to mind, Young's Copycat, Shore's Crash and Silence of the Lambs. Dudley's score for Elle was great, too. My favourite recent thriller score. 

But that's offtopic.

At least we can agree, Rombi is not really re-inventing the genre. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...