Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Cannes Score reactions)

Jay

Why do people keep asking this question?  For many many many years OST albums drop the same Fridays their films come out

3 hours ago, Brando said:

Isn't....isn't that a good chunk of scoring?? Why would he not score to a sync point?

No! We want a score like Nocturnal Animals, with the pivotal cue telling you absolutely NOTHING about what's happening on screen! Background ambience!

2 hours ago, Courtney said:

So when are we gonna hear the damn score for ourselves? 

1 hour ago, Courtney said:

I'm losing patience man. I can't take it anymore!

Don’t worry. I will release my mock-up of Voller’s theme on Sunday!

14 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I hope people don't mind my answer. But 100% KOTCS. I think that's a fantastic score. Has great presence in the film too. Maybe my reaction is colored by my response to the film. Because I think KOTCS is a significantly better film because Mangold is not Spielberg.

I'd say you could compare it to ep 9 if you wanted in scope and assignment etc. Ep 7 is clearly more significant because he was debuting so much new thematic material and launching themes that had to carry on for multiple films.  Here it is very much a standalone score.

The film is very busy and has no downtime once the plot gets going - this may or may not be a positive in your book. 😀

This gives me the best idea what to expect, I think. If it's a little more on the Ep 9 side of things where I felt his score overall got kinda lost with the lack of breathing room, but a lot of busy and fun orchestration, then I'm more excited for the soundtrack than to hear with the film. 

But the fact that you could take notice of the new villain and Macguffin stuff in context is good news, plus a strong map cue, and the Raiders march is always a blast, that's definitely good enough for me. Helena's theme also still feels like a ? factor here, it's interesting you only found it okay so I'm curious to hear it in the score.