Star Wars Main Title Alternates: Condensing the best remaining parts of the recording sessions into two playlist-friendly tracks

ThePenitentMan1

22 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

To cover all of my bases, I decided to make a separate alternate edit of Main Title (Original) that uses Take 17 from 1:31-1:54 and Take 16 from 1:54-end:

Aren’t you Mike Matessino by any chance? :) 

Great job btw.

On 07/06/2023 at 7:04 AM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

-***-

Another addendum: While I was doing this writeup, I started rethinking one of the bits from Take 17 that I left off of what I had for Main Title (Original).

To cover all of my bases, I decided to make a separate alternate edit of Main Title (Original) that uses Take 17 from 1:31-1:54 and Take 16 from 1:54-end:

What do you guys think?  Which version of "Main Title (Original)" is better?  If one of these edits had to be thrown out, which would you keep?  Would you be able to decide?

Well, for my own fanedits, I've ultimately decided that maintaining consistency with the Film Version and Alternate was more important than preserving this particular alternate performance decision in Take 17.  I'll keep both versions up for the public, but for my own playlists I'll only be using the first edit with the faster Star Destroyer bit from Take 16.

On 04/02/2023 at 5:22 AM, stravinsky said:

It would amazing if the early  unrecorded versions of cues from ANH were somehow tracked down and recorded anew. I guess this will never happen though. Do the full scores exist somewhere? 

The Princess Theme 2-01 Princess Leia's Theme 4:28 1-14 Princess Leia's Theme 4:23 03 Princess Leia's Theme 4:24  

Early, never-recorded versions                    

2M2 The Little People                   Shorter opening, ends without the Imperial Motif

2M3 More Little People                   Shorter opening and other minor differences

3M1 The Princess Appears                   Sme additional passages and different orchestration

3M2 Lost R2                   Ending features Imperial Motif

3M3 The Sand Speeder                   Shorter cue before scene was re-edited

3M4/4M1 The Sandman Attacks                   Shorter cue before scene was re-edited, Force Theme at end used woodwinds instead of horns

4M4 A Home Destroyed                    

5M1 A Hive of Villainy                   Unleaked, but leaked sheets indicate bars 25-42 were replaced by new bars 25-43

5M6 The Inner City                   Bars 24-35 have a "sinister" timpani and drum passage for the Vader and Chief Bast scene shown in the Holiday special

7M1 The Hatch Opens                   Harp and woodwind passage around 1:30 is slightly different

8M2 The Rescue                   First 5 bars replaced by 8M2 Rev New Introduction To The Rescue

8M3 The Water Snake                    

11M2 Approaching the Target

(I started typing this in the thread this post originally came from, but since I felt it was getting a little off-topic for that thread, I copied it over to this one)

Well, since I've been on a "Episode IV Alternates" kick ever since Jay shared that mockup of the original End Credits opening, I have to say my curiosity about the rest of these leaked sheets is piqued.

I could be wrong, but the impression I get from some of these cues—The Sand Speeder and The Return Home, in particular—is that we'd really only need "edit guides" for what's already been recorded, with no mockups needed except perhaps to smooth over some sketchy transitions.

Although I have to say I'm a little puzzled about the transition between the ending of the "torture chamber" section of A Home Destroyed and the start of the "destroyed sandcrawler" section...  Actually, I think I may have come across a solution to that particular puzzle:

0:00-0:46 - Learn About The Force

0:46-1:28 - Burning Homestead (Torture Chamber section)

1:28-1:42 - Learn About The Force ending overlapped with Burning Homestead opening

1:42-3:19 - Burning Homestead (continued)

3:19-end - Burning Homestead (Death Star transition+Reverb overlapped with Burning Homestead ending)

Is this accurate?  I can take it down if it isn't. :)

Interesting project. Wow. I do love the names you've given for everything.

I'm always torn on the Main Title between the film version and the Album Edit from the LP. (I don't recall, is there a list of what takes made up that edit someplace?)

The strings at ~0:50 kind of sound like one of the arrangements from Solo. IMHO.

26 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Interesting project. Wow. I do love the names you've given for everything.

Thanks! :D  (Do you mean the names I gave the specific altered elements in the Main Title?)

26 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I'm always torn on the Main Title between the film version and the Album Edit from the LP. (I don't recall, is there a list of what takes made up that edit someplace?)

IIRC for the OST, it's actually still the Film Version combined with the End Title.  For the Anthology it's an unedited Take 19 combined with the End Title.

16 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

(Do you mean the names I gave the specific altered elements in the Main Title?)

Yes.

16 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

IIRC for the OST, it's actually still the Film Version combined with the End Title.  For the Anthology it's an unedited Take 19 combined with the End Title.

Hmmm. I could have sworn they were different but doing a quick AB I'm not hearing it. I assume that by " For the Anthology" you're referring to disc 4?

21 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Yes.

Cool. :)

21 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Hmmm. I could have sworn they were different but doing a quick AB I'm not hearing it. I assume that by " For the Anthology" you're referring to disc 4?

I'm referring to Disc 1, Track 2.  Before the End Title cuts in, it's all Take 19.  The one on Disc 4 is all Take 20.

45 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Cool. :)

I'm referring to Disc 1, Track 2.  Before the End Title cuts in, it's all Take 19.  The one on Disc 4 is all Take 20.

OK. So if I'm following (let me catch up) you're calling the OST the RCA 1997 discs, which is the film version (I knew that one, actually). Then the LP / Anthology disc 1 track 2 is take 19 (before the end title, of course). And the "alternate" on disc 4 is 20. The film edit is 19, 20, and 18

On 07/06/2023 at 10:04 AM, ThePenitentMan1 said:

the parts used in the Film Version [Familiar Intro (Take 19), Low Register Strings on the Third Sentence (Take 20), Strong Tatooine Reveal (Take 18)]

as you spelled out. Does anyone else think that being a fan sometimes feels like homework? :D

34 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

OK. So if I'm following (let me catch up) you're calling the OST the RCA 1997 discs, which is the film version (I knew that one, actually).

For what it's worth, I just double-checked (my recreation of) the film edit against the version on the Demaster, and it appears to be more or less the same edit there.

Then the LP / Anthology disc 1 track 2 is take 19 (before the end title, of course). And the "alternate" on disc 4 is 20. The film edit is 19, 20, and 18 as you spelled out.

Yes, yes, and kinda yes. (Technically the film order is 19, 18, 20, 18, 20; but the specific elements I pointed out there were taken from those listed takes in that order, yes)

Does anyone else think that being a fan sometimes feels like homework? :D

It's fun homework...  with no deadlines! :D

21 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

(I started typing this in the thread this post originally came from, but since I felt it was getting a little off-topic for that thread, I copied it over to this one)

Well, since I've been on a "Episode IV Alternates" kick ever since Jay shared that mockup of the original End Credits opening, I have to say my curiosity about the rest of these leaked sheets is piqued.

I could be wrong, but the impression I get from some of these cues—The Sand Speeder and The Return Home, in particular—is that we'd really only need "edit guides" for what's already been recorded, with no mockups needed except perhaps to smooth over some sketchy transitions.

Although I have to say I'm a little puzzled about the transition between the ending of the "torture chamber" section of A Home Destroyed and the start of the "destroyed sandcrawler" section...  Actually, I think I may have come across a solution to that particular puzzle:

0:00-0:46 - Learn About The Force

0:46-1:28 - Burning Homestead (Torture Chamber section)

1:28-1:42 - Learn About The Force ending overlapped with Burning Homestead opening

1:42-3:19 - Burning Homestead (continued)

3:19-end - Burning Homestead (Death Star transition+Reverb overlapped with Burning Homestead ending)

Is this accurate?  I can take it down if it isn't. :)

Pretty accurate (as much as possible with existing material, probably), but it's necessary to delete the bit on 2:15-2:22/23, because these bars were added in the revised version (there was nothing in their place). Also the last chord was twice as long, and the cue ended with a note (in cellos and basses) half a tone lower.  

Another bar at 1:09-1:12 in the sheets looks different, but this change was made during recording, most likely.

3 hours ago, ragoz350 said:

Pretty accurate (as much as possible with existing material, probably), but it's necessary to delete the bit on 2:15-2:22/23, because these bars were added in the revised version (there was nothing in their place).

Done. :)

Also the last chord was twice as long, and the cue ended with a note (in cellos and basses) half a tone lower.

I interpreted this instruction in two ways.  At 3:14 of both videos, Option A was my first guess and Option B was my second.  (Both done via editing)

Another bar at 1:09-1:12 in the sheets looks different, but this change was made during recording, most likely.

Is this a minor difference?

40 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I interpreted this instruction in two ways.  At 3:14 of both videos, Option A was my first guess and Option B was my second.  (Both done via editing)

Option A is closer to the truth.

40 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Is this a minor difference?

On the recording it's crescendo and a beat [boooomBOM], in the score there are two such beats plus a quick passage by six horns (as in the next measure), i.e. [BOMdudududududududum    BOM]. At first the horns were crossed out in the sheets, and the resulting gap had to be filled in somehow. (Excuse me)

• 2 weeks later...

This is amazing!

God, I could barely remember that I once tackled with this. Can't believe it's been that long! I sure miss those days when I had more time to "play" with such things like creating my own edits and stuff like that.

Anyway, those unedited takes still sound superior not only to the 97 edition itself but the 2018 dismasters as well. I wish the whole thing could sound like this.

Thanks for bringing back such fond memories from those days... and, of course, congratulations for your excellent and hard work!

On 30/06/2023 at 3:58 PM, phbart said:

This is amazing!

God, I could barely remember that I once tackled with this. Can't believe it's been that long! I sure miss those days when I had more time to "play" with such things like creating my own edits and stuff like that.

Anyway, those unedited takes still sound superior not only to the 97 edition itself but the 2018 dismasters as well. I wish the whole thing could sound like this.

Thanks for bringing back such fond memories from those days... and, of course, congratulations for your excellent and hard work!

Thank you for your hard work! :D  Without your research into the makeup of the Film Version I wouldn't have taken an interest creating Original and Alternate tracks that danced around the take portions used in the Film Version in the first place.

The timing of your post is also pretty funny...  because I've just finished updating these edits again!

Original v3:

Alternate v3:

For the Original, I solved the issue of a lackluster performance from 0:27-0:41 by splicing in a "remixed" Take 16 that pulls back the too-hot woodwinds behind the strings.

And, for both tracks, I added in a small section of Take 17 to the Original from 1:53-1:56, and a small section of Take 18 to the Alternate from 1:52-1:56.

Why did I do this?  Because the more drawn-out performance at that point of Takes 16 and 19 made the Film Version sound like it was way too short.  Obviously, we cannot have the Film Version sound wrong in any way.  Fortunately, the two remaining take portions at this point were both shorter than 16 and 19, and Take 18 being better-performed than Take 19 at this spot was another happy accident.  Another nice thing is that Take 18 now appears in all three edits.

I would say that these edits are just about definitive now...  but I know myself too well to say that for absolute certain. :P