James Horner's THE ROCKETEER in Full Score (Chris Siddall Music Publishing)

chrissiddall

Cool cover for a cool release!

One of my favorite scores of all time!

Is this another score where Horner didn't title his compositions at all, so you used the names from the OST album/ Intrada release?  Or did he name his cues for this one?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Cool cover for a cool release!

One of my favorite scores of all time!

Is this another score where Horner didn't title his compositions at all, so you used the names from the OST album/ Intrada release?  Or did he name his cues for this one?

They're just numbered on the manuscript and the orchestra breakdown.  I don't have the separate cue sheet so couldn't say for sure if they were named on that.  Here's how the cues are numbered in the book vs. the OST tracks (using the 2016/2020 Intrada release):

1m1 Main Title 1-1
1m3 The Gizmo 1-2
2m1 Finding the Rocket 1-3
2m3 Neville and Eddie 1-4
3m1 Testing the Rocket 1-5
3m4 Lothar Gets Wilmer 1-6
4m3 The Helmet 1-7
5m1 The Laughing Bandit 1-8
5m3 Neville Eavesdrops 1-9
6m1 The Flying Circus 1-10
6m2 A Hero is Born 1-11
7m1 Bye Bye Bigelow 1-11
7m2 Begin the Beguine (arr. May) 1-12
8m2 Jenny's Rescue 1-13
8m5 Cliff to the Club 1-15
8m6 In a Sentimental Mood (arr. May) --
9m1 Cliff the Waiter 1-16
9m2 When Your Lover Has Gone (arr. May) 1-17
9m3 Night and Day (arr. May) --
9m4 Easy to Love (arr. May) --
9m6a South Seas Send Up, Pt.1 1-18
9m6 South Seas Send Up, Pt.2 1-18
10m1 Neville Sinclair's House 1-19
11m1 Cliff Caught 1-20
11m3-12m1 Rendezvous at Observatory 1-21
13m1 The Zeppelin 2-1
14m1 End Credits 2-2
Love Theme 1-14

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Interesting.  So the album opening of South Seas Send Up isn't in the book?

What do you mean?  The OST track 18 on disc 1 represents 2 cues (9m6a and 9m6).  9m6a is the intro part (which plays over 9m4, which is heard diegetically in that scene).

You're right, I forgot that the album opening just omitted the intro cue, and wasn't actually different otherwise.  My mistake!

I wonder why the other three Billy May arrangements weren't included on the Intrada expansion?  Maybe they were never recorded?

Hold the phone! I've been told for YEARS that In a Sentimental Mood (that's what plays when Sinclair and Jenny dance, right?) was an existing recording. I've even been told it was vintage. But I've never been able to find a recording that was that arrangement or sounded that clear.

This appears that it was recorded for the film (and I think you guys just said that). Not to go all bottle caps, but... I WANT IT!

7 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Hold the phone! I've been told for YEARS that In a Sentimental Mood (that's what plays when Sinclair and Jenny dance, right?) was an existing recording. I've even been told it was vintage. But I've never been able to find a recording that was that arrangement or sounded that clear.

This appears that it was recorded for the film (and I think you guys just said that). Not to go all bottle caps, but... I WANT IT!

It's very similar to a Benny Goodman recording (see below), but it's definitely in Billy May's hand, and arranged specifically for The Rocketeer as I've got scans of the manuscript.

image.png

52 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Every once in a while I'm reminded how much I just love this movie. Thank you.

I don't suppose this event will be recorded?

It will be, but in order to watch the recorded version (in full at least) you'll need to become a member of ASMAC.  They may clip out some highlights at a later date to show freely.  Membership is good value though, there are a ton of similar previous sessions in their archive.

1 hour ago, chrissiddall said:

It will be, but in order to watch the recorded version (in full at least) you'll need to become a member of ASMAC.  They may clip out some highlights at a later date to show freely.  Membership is good value though, there are a ton of similar previous sessions in their archive.

To clarify, does one have to be a member of ASMAC in order to join the Zoom live as it happens?

• 2 weeks later...