Quartet Records Announces: VENOM (Music By Michael Kamen)

Amer

http://quartetrecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/VENOM1.jpg

Quartet Announces:

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

VENOM
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Music Composed and Conducted by Michael Kamen
Produced and Mastered by Chris Malone
Liner notes by Jeff Bond
Limited edition of 1000 units

Release date: 12/12/2023

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Aribage Limited and the Michael Kamen estate, is proud to present the premiere release of the early Michael Kamen (BRAZIL, LETHAL WEAPON, DIE HARD, LICENCE TO KILL) score for 1982 British thriller VENOM.

Directed by Piers Haggard and based on the novel by Alan Scholfield, starring Sterling Hayden, Klaus Kinski, Sarah Miles, Nicol Williamson, Susan George and Oliver Reed, VENOM tells the story of a group of international terrorists who attempt to kidnap a wealthy couple’s child. Their plan comes unstuck when a deadly Black Mamba escapes with the terrorists and several hostages trapped in the boy's London home. A tense evening is had by all as the snake creeps around the house, picking off the characters one by one.

The young Michael Kamen composed a tremendous score, one of his best and an obvious precursor to some of his future successes. In VENOM, one can hear everything from a variation of his future and celebrated theme for THE DEAD ZONE to echoes of what would later be the CONCERTO FOR SAXOPHONE AND ORCHESTRA (as well as parts he later used in ROBIN HOOD and DIE HARD 2). Kamen wisely avoided mimicry, instead imprinting the film with his distinctive voice. Using low woodwinds, low strings and muted brass, he masterfully crafted an atmospheric and personality-rich soundtrack. VENOM is a pivotal score in the composer’s filmography, not only suitably serves the film, but also foreshadows Kamen’s rapid ascent to the ranks of Hollywood’s A-list composers in the years ahead.
Performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of the composer (who also orchestrated the score in its entirety), this release utilizes three reels of two-track Abbey Road mixes by Eric Tomlison and provided by the Michael Kamen estate. Upon reviewing these masters, it became apparent that editorial adjustments had been made to Kamen’s original compositions for the film. Notably, the “End Titles” music, intended as an unsettling coda, was repurposed within the body of the film. In presenting this release, we restore Michael Kamen’s music to its intended sequencing, allowing the composer to present his story arc. Bonus tracks, including “snake” motifs and drones, conclude the listening program.

This album has been meticulously produced, restored and mastered by Chris Malone. The package includes a 20-page booklet with in-depth liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond.

Tracklist:

1. Main Titles 2:52
2. Seduction 1:05
3. Mugambo 1:44
4. Picking Up Jacmel / Drive To Jacmel House 3:08
5. Boy In Car / First Kill 6:06
6. One Dead Maid 2:49
7. Praparate / Waiting 0:57
8. One Dead Rabbit 0:49
9. Grandfather Hunt 3:25
10. That’s It 1:35
11. Duct 1:43
12. On The Steps / Snake 2:09
13. Drinks? / Dave’s Leg 2:57
14. Final Death 3:44
15. End Titles 2:36

Bonus Tracks

16. Main Titles (Film Version) 2:49
17. Mugambo (Orchestral Only) 1:43
18. Snake 1 1:09
19. Snake 2 1:14
20. Snake 3 1:09
21. Snake 4 1:03
22. A Drone 0:39
23. C Drone 0:58
24. End Titles (Alternate) 2:29

Total Disc Time: 51:06

https://quartetrecords.com/product/venom/

I had a feeling this was coming out when I saw that the revamped Kamen site had sound clips from it. Looking forward to checking out the whole thing. Kamen is hit/miss, but some of his best stuff, I truly adore. And I will always - ALWAYS! -- applaud premiere releases of previously unreleased scores regardless.

Okay, when I saw the name of the movie my first reaction was "wait, isn't 2018 too early for an expansion? And what's missing from the Göransson score?". And the second was "wait, did Kamen write a superhero score?"

But then reading the explanation I saw that this movie, which I haven't heard about, is even older than the Marvel Comics character... :lol:

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Okay, when I saw the name of the movie my first reaction was "wait, isn't 2018 too early for an expansion? And what's missing from the Göransson score?". And the second was "wait, did Kamen write a superhero score?"

You forgot about X-MEN?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 10:41 AM, JTW said:

IMG_9979.jpeg

The main theme is fantastic. Makes me think what a tremendous loss the passing of Michael Kamen has been for the world of film music. 

I listened to the samples and I agree the Main Title sounded fantastic. Does anyone have any thoughts on the rest of the score?  None of the other samples made me to buy it. Is it for Kamen completists only?

5 hours ago, Andy said:

I listened to the samples and I agree the Main Title sounded fantastic. Does anyone have any thoughts on the rest of the score?  None of the other samples made me to buy it. Is it for Kamen completists only?

I wasn’t as impressed by the rest of the score, but an alternate version of the main title is also included, that alone is worth getting the CD for imho.

This is horrible - it is like the worst of Kamen brought to table, cheesy-arse light entertainment music (in this case what sounds like an approximation of British propreity with a dangling piano) and those optimistic melodies.

Still, great orchestration.

What, as in 'let's announce the BBC newsreporters', with a bit more brass oomph but a lot more piano cheese!

Kamen's always been a chap that has traversed the line with being a ridiculous character and an amazing icon.....the hair, the beard. I love him, but that is just me