John Williams' Film Night at Tanglewood, Aug 2 and 3, 2024

Smeltington

I keep reloading and getting this:

Unfortunately, this performance is not available for purchase. :(

Wow, weird, I doubt it sold out that fast. Don't give up yet... also for anyone having issues, I wonder if calling their box office still works? I remember doing that back when their online ticketing system used to have some serious problems.

I’m still seeing seats available for all three Williams events, but can’t drop $600 right now. I’ve had luck getting great seats between the sale date and concert date anyway - not stressing it for now.

Damn it. So I closed my browser as something must have been bugging and now I'm in a Waiting Room with 40+ people ahead of me.

Trying to get a ticket to the Friday night as it's more convenient for me.

Well, got one Section 7. Might be obstructed view as it was much cheaper than others ($99 vs $159), but gets me in the Shed and I can always upgrade at the last minute. I would only have paid full price right away for a Section 1 seat in the first few rows. :P

Congrats! @Andy did you get in too?

45 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Well, got one Section 7. Might be obstructed view

I feel like the support beams are further back than that. Can't find any info about possible obstructed views online though.

1 hour ago, Foxfan said:

Damn it. So I closed my browser as something must have been bugging and now I'm in a Waiting Room with 40+ people ahead of me.

Ground rule: When you want to buy tickets for something that's really important and may sell out quickly, always have at least two different browsers ready. If possible on at least two different devices, too.

So for you lucky folks who were able to purchase today, did the page refresh automatically at 10:00 to allow purchase or I do I need to refresh myself right at 10:00? Thanks! So nervous! Hoping for 2 tickets in the $159 or $189 category!

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Friday for everyone?

For me, yes!

1 hour ago, lkpat1983 said:

So for you lucky folks who were able to purchase today, did the page refresh automatically at 10:00 to allow purchase or I do I need to refresh myself right at 10:00? Thanks! So nervous! Hoping for 2 tickets in the $159 or $189 category!

I was refreshing the page constantly, like once per second, and the button finally appeared exactly where you'd expect. I think it was pretty well timed to appear right at 10. I didn't have to wait in any virtual queues or anything, but then I went in afterward and bought a ticket for Tanglewood on Parade, and that one had a queue.

you guys scared me for a second.  cause i know general goes on sale tomorrow morning....

sheeesh

i've got to decide on my day 

3 hours ago, Bellosh said:

i've got to decide on my day 

The Council has decided for you. Friday. 

Man, I went last year and even donated.  Didn't realize there was  a preorder yesterday.  But logged in before 10 today, and was able to get seats in section 6 for Saturday.  So all good.  Haven't had seats in a couple of years so splurged.  but man the prices.  See you all there!

9 hours ago, Potterhead said:

For noobs like myself, what is Tanglewood on parade and why is it loved so much?

Tanglewood on Parade is a one-day festival type of event that takes place not only in the shed, but at different locations around the Tanglewood grounds. It includes a variety of performances by various talent, and towards the end it culminates with a shorter set conducted by Williams, then another conductor (e.g. Lockhart) doing some classical repertoire, then the 1812 overture for the finale, followed by fireworks.

Because Williams' set is short, the event is so close to Film Night, and it happens on a Tuesday, it's usually not so well-attended by members of this forum. Film Night is a bigger deal for us. But @rpvee and myself both attended last year, and personally I really enjoyed the whole thing and can't wait to go again this year. Plus last year the Williams program from Tanglewood on Parade didn't overlap with the Film Night program at all.

Just now, Smeltington said:

Don't forget, while you're waiting you could try calling the box office and see if you get through to them quicker.

10 minutes to go, i'm feeling good.

16 minutes ago, hollyw00d said:

I think there will only be lawn seats available judging by how many spots are dropping in the queue.  

practically all of sections 11-20 were available when i got through about 10 minutes ago, and still plenty in 6 thru 9

So I've never been to Tanglewood....is it a nightmare getting out?

I'm gonna have to get a hotel cause I'm a far drive away.  But I'm wondering if there's a shuttle or even an exclusive taxi/uber section to get out.

No shuttle or Uber that I’m aware of. @Foxfan gave me good advice on exiting last year. Maybe he can chime in and put it here, but for me to head towards Albany NY I had to turn left when all the other traffic was going right. 

23 hours ago, Bellosh said:

So I've never been to Tanglewood....is it a nightmare getting out?

I'm gonna have to get a hotel cause I'm a far drive away.  But I'm wondering if there's a shuttle or even an exclusive taxi/uber section to get out.

Nope—no special shuttle or bus service after the concert last year. You're on your own. And I was told that, post-pandemic, Uber drivers were very few.

Luckily, a guy at the Tanglewood information booth gave me the card of a woman who offered taxi service, and she picked me up along with several others.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the card, but you can try contacting Tanglewood and hopefully they can put you in touch with her or someone else.

As for getting there, and if it's a nice day, I recommend taking the bus to the Lenox Town Hall stop, I think it was, and enjoy the roughly 30-minute walk down West Street...

It's on the left. 😉

I will not mind walking 30 minutes at night if it means I don't have to sit in my car for 2 hours.

Maybe I'll get a hotel near that bus stop then

8 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to get out. But from all accounts, getting to the concert was an absolute nightmare.

My advice to anyone is to get there early and have a stress-free day taking in the beauty of the grounds.

Yeah I'm totally walking I think now

Would you say an Uber half way TO the show is possible or is traffic just nasty essentially from that bus stop/area?

Regardless I don't mind either way.  As long as it's not walking on a highway. Which I assume it's not because I doubt you'd suggest that lol 

11 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Regardless I don't mind either way.  As long as it's not walking on a highway. Which I assume it's not because I doubt you'd suggest that lol 

It's a lovely stretch of country road. The weather was just perfect last year, and it was a nice way to start the day (I went in the morning to catch a rehearsal from the lawn).

Here's what awaits you if you drive in too late:

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_2981.jpeg

Those people walking got to the grounds faster, I can tell you!

Americans and their friggin' cars. Why on earth won't they set up shuttle busses for this?

But a 30-minute walk isn't that bad, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It's a lovely stretch of country road. The weather was just perfect last year, and it was a nice way to start the day (I went in the morning to catch a rehearsal from the lawn).

Here's what awaits you if you drive in too late:

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_2981.jpeg

Those people walking got to the grounds faster, I can tell you!

Just Down West Street, to a Crawl

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Americans and their friggin' cars. Why on earth won't they set up shuttle busses for this?

Because it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Over 2 hours to Boston and 2.5 hours to New York City (and 4 hours to Montreal). Even the closest secondary cities that have rail like Albany, NY and Springfield, MA are at least 50 minutes away.

Without cars Tanglewood never would have existed.

A few years back they did offer shuttle buses from some concerts from Symphony Hall in Boston to Tanglewood, but I think they stopped.

12 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to get out. But from all accounts, getting to the concert was an absolute nightmare.

When I was there in 2019, getting there by car from Boston in the afternoon went smoothly (and affords you plenty of time to enjoy the grounds). Getting back after the concert took hours.

17 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

Because it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Over 2 hours to Boston and 2.5 hours to New York City (and 4 hours to Montreal). Even the closest secondary cities that have rail like Albany, NY and Springfield, MA are at least 50 minutes away.

No reason not to have shuttle buses now, at least to Boston where the orchestra is from anyway.

Austria has its own kind of mini Tanglewood: Grafenegg in Lower Austria. They've been around in some form or other for a few decades and since 2007 have built an open air auditorium and a proper concert hall (before that, the concerts were played in an adapted riding school as far as I remember). Unlike Tanglewood, they're not the summer residence of one of the major Austrian orchestra, just of *the* major orchestra of Lower Austria (which isn't one of our our best, but has much improved over the past 10-20 years). But they also host the major orchestras and international artists and orchestras (I'm still sorry I missed Rattle and the LSO with Mahler's 2nd last summer).

They can be reached by car or train, but the problem is that it's hard to catch the last train after a concert (and the train station is 10+ minutes away by bike, so at least half an hour on foot I assume). But they do offer shuttle buses at least for Vienna, which have their Vienna stop right in front of the Musikverein. Those buses take over an hour, so if Grafenegg/Vienna can do it, Tanglewood/Boston should be able to manage it, too (and as you said apparently did once).

It would really make things easier especially for tourists. I had to rent a car for one day just to visit Tanglewood.

27 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

A few years back they did offer shuttle buses from some concerts from Symphony Hall in Boston to Tanglewood, but I think they stopped.

I was thinking more from Lennox, not from Boston. Presumably, there is a "hub" of some sort in Lennox? Or is there no bus station/stop at all in the village?