What was your first encounter with Jerry Goldsmith?

17 minutes ago, Badzeee said:

I have a certain sympathy with this... where they definitely don't antagonise me, Goldsmith's scores rarely move me in quite the same deeply emotional way as, say, a John Williams, a John Barry, a Joe Hisaishi or an Ennio Morricone might. There are exceptions (Star Trek V, The Mountain being one, the Voyager theme another), but I think he's fantastic at action scores or terrifying you (The Omen and ALIEN being good examples). Which is when I figured it out - fear is not simply an emotion, it's a fight-or-flight response and this is what I think Goldsmith is extremely good at - subtextual scoring. 

I'm not a musician myself (although most of my family are) but I love music and work to it most of the time. And what I've found is, a lot of Goldsmith stuff is often about the mental state of the characters onscreen, whereas all the others mentioned have a slightly different approach - less focused, more "widescreen," if you like. Williams is the uber-storyteller, matchless in deciding what approach to employ, whether thematic, emotional, action-led, whatever, to any given scene; he can use music to "zoom" you in or out of an emotional state.

Barry was often romantic. Arguably, he invented modern action music with his Bond scores, but he could never quite resist the emotional undertow of a scene, especially if there was a romantic, yearning quality to it. Both Hisaishi and Morricone are epic, vast, absolutely unrepentant in using orchestral colour to illustrate even small human emotions. (And I love that about them.)

Goldsmith, when he went epic, he'd do The Omen or his various Star Trek themes. They're huge, brilliant, but even when he's doing an action or military theme, there's always something incredibly centred and intense about the notes and instruments he chooses. He's more of an interpreter than the others (as opposed to an emotional accompanist). When he does scary or paranoid, he does it better than almost anyone - like in Seconds or Total Recall. 

I dunno, I'm not using music terminology, just attempting to describe my impressions so I might not be making a lot of sense. But I too find him stylistically very different to all his contemporaries and peers... but maybe understanding the interpretive intensity that drives his scores is a way in. It certainly worked for me. 

That's a really thoughtful way of describing how Goldsmith finally clicked with you. I appreciated reading it. Maybe I can find my own way in based on this.. 

4 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

That's a really thoughtful way of describing how Goldsmith finally clicked with you. I appreciated reading it. Maybe I can find my own way in based on this.. 

My pleasure, and thanks. :) I hope you do.