Chicago concerts/Horn concerto update

Mari

With the recent premiere of Soundings and the upcoming premiere of the Horn Concerto, there has been a lot of speculation about whether those works will be released on disc. I emailed the CSO and asked two questions: will John Williams be participating in the pre-concert conversations, and, will the Horn Concerto be released on disc. Here is the response I received today:

Ms. Allen,

Mr. Williams does indeed plan to speak along with Matias Tarnopolsky, Director of Symphony Center Presents programming, for both the November 29, 2003 and December 2, 2003 pre-concert conversations.  At this time there are no plans to record the Horn Concerto and release it on CD.

This, however, could change.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to write again.

Thank you,

Patron Services Staff

So, my question to all of you is, what can we do to make this happen?

~Mari

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we all thought it was a done deal. The email did leave open the possibility that the plan could change. All three concerts are sold out, so they know there is a lot of interest in the music and maybe that will help them to rethink the idea of releasing a CD.

As for the concerto, I am really looking forward to hearing it. We all know what great music he writes for Horn, and having free reign to explore his creativity in this work, makes me think it may end up being his best concert work yet.

Two weeks before a concert, the CSO makes the program notes available online. They provide more detailed information about the upcoming concerts and we'll know then how many movements, and the thoughts John Williams had when composing it.

~Mari

I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope it's melodic too. Williams' music, and film music in general, was a large factor in my switching from trumpet to horn, and I'm so glad that I did. Hearing a piece by him centered on the instrument should be really great.

Ray Barnsbury

At this time there are no plans to record the Horn Concerto and release it on CD.

This, however, could change.

Mari, thanks for the alert.

But what is that supposed to mean? Are JW's concert works of such negligible significance that releasing it on a medium must yet be "considered"? Like with an inexperienced applicant: "Sir, play it to us and we'll definitely call you back"! What is this world waiting for?

Damnation!

:mrgreen:

anyone consider enquiring with the stage manager to see a rehersal, like was done that time in Pittsburgh??

I hadn't thought about that ... it would be very interesting to hear, if it could be arranged. :music:

I am looking forward to the pre-concert conversations and having JW talk more about the concerto. Perhaps there will even be time for questions and autographs!

~Mari

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, Mari!

I was hoping he might say a bit more about the concerto - what the style will be, etc. I guess we'll just have to wait until they post the program notes.

This is going to be an amazing concerto. I can't wait to hear it! I really hope the theme for the second movement is like one of his film-score horn solo themes - like Princess Leia or Luke and Leia. JW is like Brahms in the way he writes for the horn: his music just flows out of the instrument. I've always thought JW's favorite orchestral instrument is the horn - although it could be glockenspiel, I guess; he sure uses it a lot.

Anyway... I digressed. Only 10 more days until the premiere!!

I'm really looking forward to this, and I hope it's melodic too.  Williams' music, and film music in general, was a large factor in my switching from trumpet to horn, and I'm so glad that I did.  Hearing a piece by him centered on the instrument should be really great.

Ray Barnsbury

Another horn player - woohoo! You chose wisely! :(

Kaitlin

First, welcome to the board Kaitlin!

I was hoping he might say a bit more about the concerto - what the style will be, etc.  I guess we'll just have to wait until they post the program notes.

I know! This interview is almost a preview of the pre-concert conversation, but the program notes should be posted on Thursday and they are pretty in-depth.

I've always thought JW's favorite orchestral instrument is the horn - although it could be glockenspiel, I guess; he sure uses it a lot.

Well, when I attended the concerts in Washington D.C. in January one of the questions in the post-concert conversation was that very subject. A person asked if the horn was his favorite instrument to write for since he composes such wonderful music for it and his answer was yes. Unfortunately, he then became a bit technical, and, since I don't play any instruments, I don't remember the rest of his answer.

Only 10 more days until the premiere!!

I can hardly wait! Which concerts are you attending?

Kathy

Another horn player - woohoo!  You chose wisely!  :(

Kaitlin

Haha, thanks! I love playing it, it's one of my favorite things to do. I guess now we've got our horn section for the annual JWFan film music concert. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

I know! This interview is almost a preview of the pre-concert conversation, but the program notes should be posted on Thursday and they are pretty in-depth.

Thursday, today, Thursday?

Well, when I attended the concerts in Washington D.C. in January one of the questions in the post-concert conversation was that very subject. A person asked if the horn was his favorite instrument to write for since he composes such wonderful music for it and his answer was yes. Unfortunately, he then became a bit technical, and, since I don't play any instruments, I don't remember the rest of his answer.

I've always wanted to ask him that... cool! He writes like he's played the instrument all his life

I can hardly wait! Which concerts are you attending?

Just the Saturday night performance. I wish we could stay for more, but, alas, time and money are short.

9 more days!

Kaitlin

The program notes for the Chicago concerts are now online, and I am even more excited to hear the Horn Concerto now than I was before! If the music is half as good as JWs description, it is going to be his the best work yet. :)

Here's the link: Program Notes

Kathy

If I had the equipment to record it, I would certainly try ...

Hopefully, someone else will be able to capture the performance. :)

Kathy

Wow, those program notes have really piqued my interest in the Horn Concerto! Thanks for the link, Mari. :) I'm hella excited all of a sudden (even though I probably won't hear the piece for, oh a couple of years... Presuming they do actually release it on CD).

John Williams' comments are really quite impressive and informative: he comes across as very sophisticated and erudite, that's for sure. And I'm intrigued by the thematic and historical references Williams' seems to have drawn upon as inspiration for this work. I think (and hope) its going to turn out very nicely!

CYPHER

John Williams' comments are really quite impressive and informative: he comes across as very sophisticated and erudite, that's for sure. And I'm intrigued by the thematic and historical references Williams' seems to have drawn upon as inspiration for this work. I think (and hope) its going to turn out very nicely!

I agree! His comments on each of the movements is so descriptive that I am easily able to grasp the mood he will be trying to convey through his music. He also demonstrates more than a passing knowledge of mythology and Jung's theory of the collective unconscious, and I'm really looking forward to finding out what "poetic quotes" he's chosen to include in the movement titles. I think knowing which writers inspire him will provide at least a small glimpse into John Williams, the man. :thumbup:

Wasn't superman supposed to be played on Saturday?  

I'm going to the concert and I thought he was planning on playing superman

I don't think Superman was ever scheduled for the Saturday/Tuesday concerts. It was was originally scheduled for the Friday concert, but was replaced by "Across The Stars" ...

Remember -- We have to demand it as an encore. :thumbup:

Kathy