The Two Towers EXTENDED EDITION Discussion

nja

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But did PJ realy have to change Faramir?Couldn't he just leave him alone?

I'm going to stand up for Jackson and say No. The reasons have been presented. First, without Faramir taking Frodo to Osgiliath and with the cutoff before Shelob, Frodo's part of the story lacks a crucial climax. Nothing happens. "They're lost. Oh, Gollum saved them. They're captured. Oh, they're released." Nothing is there. Second, it shows Denethor's lack of respect and trust for Faramir.

he wanted a climax?How about this: cut the Arwen scenes, the Warg Attack, the death of Aragorn, Osgiliath...put in Shelob's lair and voilá...no need to change characters.

Everyone claiming that it would be best to have put Shelob's lair at the end of TTT should consider, that this doesn't fit with Tolkien's timeline. Remember, a good bit before F,S&G get into Shelob's lair, they witness the Morgul army ride forth to war.... so during their "stay" in the lair, the Pelennor battle is well underway, if not already started. It was only possible in the book because there the storylines are told seperately. Chronologically, the end of book 3 isn't equal to the end of book 4.

he wanted a climax?How about this: cut the Arwen scenes, the Warg Attack, the death of Aragorn, Osgiliath...put in Shelob's lair and voilá...no need to change characters.

Having Shelob simultaneous with Helm?s Deep would taken away from the climax and as Chris pointed out, is not simultaneous chronologically. Should it be in the film just because it happened to land in the second volume of the trilogy?

So you want to be true to Tolkien? Let?s not forget that he wanted LOTR in one huge volume and had to be talked into a trilogy by the publishers. I doubt he would have been so dogmatic about where each book cut off to quibble about scenes appearing in the beginning of one movie and not the end of another.

Sure there will be differences in the films because they?re films. It?s impressive to me how much detail from the books made it into the films. The changes that were made were not gratuituos ones. They were thought through and not as earth-shattering as some would make them out to be.

You really should take the time to watch "From Book to Script" on Disk 3 of the EE. Then you would at least be familiar with the explanations given by the screen writers and Jackson whether you agree with them or not.

Thinking about it, the Faramir changes (no changes to his character in the long term, he makes a different decision at one point, but in general what there is to his characters in the book is emphasized by how they handled him in the EE) are probably smaller than putting Shelob in TTT would have been. As said above, that would have messed up the timeline, meaning that Frodo and Sam would have gotten much further on their journey than they do in the books...which then would mean that they'd take way too long for the remaining distance in ROTK. :)

Marian - who thinks it was a wise move to introduce Denethor in TTT:EE.

I thought I posted this but has anyone else had their TTT:EE freeze on disc 2 at 1:00 and 1:23?

My did , I took it back and hopefully this one will work.

the dirt should be on the outerside, rather than towards the middle. Remember Ren, a dvd is opposite the old vinyl. It starts in and moves out, rather than starts out and moves in.

Ren, what kind of DVD player do you have? I've read that non-brand name players sometimes show this behaviour.

Me, I'm having problems getting smooth DTS playback without dropouts on my HTPC. Must try Linux there, perhaps it'll work better then.

Marian - who can't wait to see TTT:EE again in a week. :)

I heard they were gonna have a few advanced screenings in New York this weekend. I am gonna look into it.

Doubt I would get in. You gotta be in the right place at the right time for this stuff.

Ummm...NO!

Stefancos- who knows, unlike ? Man that it has not been released yet.

Couldn't wait to pounce on my eh

Sorry i thought it was released yesterday

Ummm...NO!

Stefancos- who knows, unlike ? Man that it has not been released yet.

You do know that some people do see films before opening day? Film critics, lucky people at screeners, etc...

Then it should not have this kind of problems. But perhaps it needs an upgrade or something, they used to do firmware upgrades if players had problems with certain features.

Marian - who upgrade the firmware on his player himself when the store people were too stupid.

Two problems:

1) Non-standard DVDs (White Rabbit on Matrix)

2) Faulty player firmware. My player had problems with high bitrates (music DVDs), I did an upgrade using a self-burnt CD with the update software from the web, now it works without problems.

Marian - who thinks the DVD standard isn't nearly as flexible as it should be.

I don't think anybody's mentioned the special features section that discussed the scoring.

nja- who thought it was pretty funny seeing PJ on the gong. Maybe he and Spielberg should get together on a gong/ clarinet album. I'd buy it.

I don't know if it's that great- but I loved the part where Jackson wanted to take the Abby Rd. picture.

I think I need to like the music in order to like the fetturette- and I just don't get the hype about the TTT score.

I have to admit I wondered whether it was really all that important to get different female voices for the different themes and so forth.

Perhaps the boy soprano sounds the most distinctive but it seemed like the others could have been done by one female voice singing different styles to accomplish about the same effect.

After I saw the feature, I guess I could hear a difference, but I can?t say I would have noticed if I wasn?t listening for it. I just wondered if it was really worth all the trouble.

nja- who doesn?t remember the names of all the singers and doesn?t feel like getting out the DVD to check them