Least Favorite Indiana Jones film? (and why)

MrScratch

Lest favorite Indiana Jones film?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Temple of Doon
    • The Last Crusade

Much less being a backstabbing, stone-hearted Nazi. How can Indy call that "honey"? I really dislike that moment.

He was trying to convince her to let it go. ;)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most annoying thing about Temple of Doom .....

that annoying kid going ......

"Ha Ha Ha Vewy Fuuuuneee! Ha Ha Ha Vewy Fuuuneeee"

I wanted Indy to reach for his six shooter and empty it into that kid.

Well .... maybe he should save a round for Willy as well. :mrgreen:

Personally I find ToD a thousand times more daring in it's storyline and setting that TLC. Say what you will Rogue but ToD is just better, or at least tied with TLC. (See Poll stats :mrgreen: )

Justin

I can't say that there is one Indy film that is really bad. They all fit different film watching moods. The only difference is that Last Crusade is the 'after dinner' film - very easy to let it wash over you. Possibly the one I'd re-watch less.

Still have yet to see any real major complaints about TLC here. People keep saying its the weakest, but they dont give sold reasons why.

Rogue, did you read my original post, I name quite a few.

I can't say that there is one Indy film that is really bad. They all fit different film watching moods. The only difference is that Last Crusade is the 'after dinner' film - very easy to let it wash over you. Possibly the one I'd re-watch less.

I never said any of the Indy films were bad. Note the name of the poll was "least favorite" not "worst". Sounds like you vote for LC also... :)

Still have yet to see any real major complaints about TLC here. People keep saying its the weakest, but they dont give sold reasons why.

William, you must have skipped mine, because I outline it point by point why its the weakest.

And all are solid reasons.

Sorry Maestro and Joe,

I read both of your posts and I still feel the complaints in them are kind of ridiculous IMO.

For instance in Joe's he mentions that he didn't like the opening sequence because of how it explained everything like how Indy got his whip and hat, but IMO that was good! I thought it was interesting to see something of the characters past.

Not to mention he says the writing is lazy and the direction. but then doesn't really give examples of why this is so.

I dunno, I still feel Indy 2 is easily the weakest of the three.

Seems like everywhere else but here people agree too.

I've seen this poll several times before and with the same result Temple of Doom is considered by the majority to be the weakest Indy.

The IMDB numbers also back this up.

Raiders is 1st.

TLC is 2nd

ToD is DEAD LAST!

Sorry Maestro and Joe,  

I read both of your posts and I still feel the complaints in them are kind of ridiculous IMO.

If you think my complaints are ridiculous then explain to me the final challenge in the cave. Is it a leap of faith or is it simply an invisible bridge? If its an invisible bridge and not a leap of faith, than the challenge is incredibly lame. If it is a leap of faith and not simply an invisible bridge, then how did Donovan and Elsa cross it?

Not to mention he says the writing is lazy and the direction. but then doesn't really give examples of why this is so.

I don't think the writing is weak, in fact, I think it is rather sharp at times. But I question the overall production values, the cave interiors at the end of the film are quite obviously a set. In Raiders and ToD, the sets blended with the locations seemlessly.

I dunno, I still feel Indy 2 is easily the weakest of the three.  

Seems like everywhere else but here people agree too.

I've seen this poll several times before and with the same result Temple of Doom is considered by the majority to be the weakest Indy.  

The IMDB numbers also back this up.  

Raiders is 1st.  

TLC is 2nd

ToD is DEAD LAST!

Since when is the IMDB or the opinion of the masses reliable? It's the JW fans, Indy fans and Spielberg fans (we are all at least ONE of these) whose opinions matter most.

The top of the bridge was designed to look like the chasm rocks so it blended in. If you go back and watch the film you will see that Indiana is actually on a bridge when he takes his leap of faith. The camera angle is underneath the bridge and shows it to be a rock bridge. Also Jones threw rocks and dirt on the bridge to make it visible, that's how Elsa and Donovan were able to cross it.

It was an optical illusion to trick your mind and test your faith.

Who in their right mind voted for Raiders!!?!?!?!?!?

I enjoy all three, but I agree with Joe on one aspect of TLC; the visuals were kinda sloppy. The birds & plane sequence was especially weak.

The top of the bridge was designed to look like the chasm rocks so it blended in. If you go back and watch the film you will see that Indiana is actually on a bridge when he takes his leap of faith. The camera angle is underneath the bridge and shows it to be a rock bridge. Also Jones threw rocks and dirt on the bridge to make it visible, that's how Elsa and Donovan were able to cross it.

It was an optical illusion to trick your mind and test your faith.

The bridge should only be able to do one or the other, not both. Trick your mind OR test your faith. Because having faith in God defies logic, believing in something that you can't see, touch etc. A mind trick/puzzle is something that someone who is intellectual, but not necessarily pure of heart and faithful to god, can figure out and overcome. Thats why I don't like that Elsa and Donovan crossed it. If they crossed it, it must not have tested their faith, because they wanted the Cup for themselves!

William, when you lean completely on Imdb for more than just a casual source, and try to use it as hard facts, it crumbles like a house of cards.

Maybe at JWFAN.net the people have a slightly higher intelligence, nahh.

William, when you lean completely on Imdb for more than just a casual source, and try to use it as hard facts, it crumbles like a house of cards.

Maybe at JWFAN.net the people have a slightly higher intelligence, nahh.

Well OK thats true, but I was just using it as a "general example" of how people feel about the movie's as a whole. I mean there isn't as much fanboyism here, because they are all in the same series.

I mean by comparing the scores of the films to one another you can get some idea of how most people feel. Not to mention most of the reviews I've read pan Indy 2 and praise the other two films.

examples of lazy writing, the writers of LC come up with a chase sequence similar to the truck sequence in Raiders, instead of an original sequence we get a weak lame retread.

You like the opening sequence that I don't. I don't have to have everything spelled out for me, I can take on faith that Indy wears the hat, and has the whip. I didn't need it spelled out for me in a lame and unfunny sequence.

I'll say it again, the production values are the worst of any Spielberg film, with bad effects and alot of lampooning, rather than good storytelling.

If you think my complaints are ridiculous then explain to me the final challenge in the cave. Is it a leap of faith or is it simply an invisible bridge? If its an invisible bridge and not a leap of faith, than the challenge is incredibly lame. If it is a leap of faith and not simply an invisible bridge, then how did Donovan and Elsa cross it?  

Indy has to take a leap of faith in order to discover and show that it is an invisible bridge. In my opinion.

examples of lazy writing' date=' the writers of LC come up with a chase sequence similar to the truck sequence in Raiders, instead of an original sequence we get a weak lame retread.

You like the opening sequence that I don't. I don't have to have everything spelled out for me, I can take on faith that Indy wears the hat, and has the whip. I didn't need it spelled out for me in a lame and unfunny sequence.

I'll say it again, the production values are the worst of any Spielberg film, with bad effects and alot of lampooning, rather than good storytelling.[/quote']

Hmmmm regarding the chase in TLC. you could also make the argument that alot of the stuff in Temple of Doom is similar to TLC. Like the fights and such. I still feel the chase sequence at the end of TLC is quite different actually. Indy may ride a horse like he did in Raiders but he does ALOT more with it in TLC. Not to mention he is chasing after a tank and not a truck. On top of that there is also more going on around Indy. That sequence is still unique enough to pass on its own IMO.

As for the production values being bad. I dont see that. I mean they seem just as good as any of the other Indy films IMO.

but William, TOD came before TLC so its original compared to TLC.

And you are blind, or just pure stubborn when you say you don't see the weak production values. The zepplin sequence is horrible. The Hindinberg had better effects and its 10+ years older. The Italian fighter sequence is horrible too. Look at the model of the tank as it goes over the cliff, I've built more realistic model tanks as a kid than that. And finally once again, the Holy grail, with the obviously modern

bottom. That is just sloppy, admit it William, or just lie and say you just don see it.

Although I do agree TLC has the worst production values, I DO NOT think that the tank chase was a rehash of the Raiders chase. The tank chase is the best thing about TLC and, for me, the climax of the film.

The only thing it has in common with the Raiders truck chase is that its a chase with Indy on horseback chasing a big vehicle in the desert. Actually, Indy ditches the horse early on in the Raiders chase. Everything else about it is different... Indy is NOT chasing the artifact and Indy is not alone, he's got Sallah, Brody and Henry Jones all thrown into the piece and all have something to do. There's more going on in this sequence. Also, a main villain dies as a result of this chase. The chase also has personal significance for Indy and his father... just a few scenes earlier Indy and his dad were arguing on the Zeppelin about their past relationship. At the end of the tank chase and Indy's apparent death, the father and son relationship is resolved.

I like TLC, and I didn't notice any of the bad crap mentioned before including the "modern" bottom on the holy grail, I was too busy enjoying the movie to notice

Italian fighter sequence

Those were nice german fighters with Mercedes Benz engines and all. :D

The zepplin sequence is horrible. The Hindinberg had better effects and its 10+ years older.

Special fx don't make a movie.

The original Star Wars looks cheap by modern standards, heh.

DO NOT think that the tank chase was a rehash of the Raiders chase.

It is a little bit, but they manage to do it differently enough to make it worth the effort.

These TLC complaints are ridiculous IMO.

I feel the childishness of Temple of Doom is the film's major flaw!

At times it looks like it was made for a 5 year old. Which is pretty ridiculous considering some of the movies violence.

I feel the childishness of Temple of Doom is the film's major flaw!

How exactly is TOD childish? It is no more childish than the other two. Do you think Short Round makes the film childish?

Compare Short Rounds role in TOD to Brody and Sallah's role in TLC. They are little more than comic relief and both of their characters were altered from the way they were in Raiders. Brody is the worst example, in Raiders he comes across as a sophisticated and esteemed archeologist. You almost get the impression that he was like Indy in his younger days. But for TLC, his character was dumbed down to be a brainless sidekick and the butt of every other characters jokes. And Sallah just seems to be there for no other reason than to give the movie a Raiders-feel to it.

Short Round doesn't act goofy or silly, he simply acts like a kid. Brody and Sallah act foolish, with most of their dialogue being punchlines.

I love seeing Indy spar with two very unlikely sidekicks. Chatter Lal said it best, "I should say you look rather lost, but then I can't imagine where in the world the three of you would look at home."

Short Rounds character does two things in the movie, provides most of the comic relief but it also shines a different light on the more brutal aspects of the film. Indy is captured and beaten up, like he is in all three movies, but there is a child with him and the child is also captured, beaten up and enslaved. So while Short Round does provide laughs, he also magnifies the violence.

Willie has some annoying moments with the screaming and the whining, but there comes a point in the film where she is no longer annoying, right after the Bug Tunnel and Death Trap. After that point, the film is almost non-stop action.

In TLC, the jokes never cease, we never feel the weight of the artifact that is being pursued or the seriousness of what happens if the bad guys win. In Raiders, the ark is clearly not something to be toyed with. In TOD, the Thugees are willing to sacrafice children to obtain the Stones. In TLC, its just taken for granted that Nazi's are evil and the Grail is little more than a Macguffin and a pawn in the relationship between Indy and his father.

At least Short Round wasn't an annoying whiny kid like most Hollywood kids are. The way he said "Indy, my friend" when Indy awakes from his Black Sleep just hits that one home for me.

- Marc, who finds it useless to choose between three good movies, that can entertain on different levels (hence, no voting from my side). :)

I think TOD is lacking a great final shot. With TLC- you have them riding into the sunset. And with Raiders- you have the absolute best closing shot. With TOD- the last shot isn't very confident- it's just a shot of the village.

Actually, the last shot is Willy and Indy kissing and all the kids running up and cheering, but yes, I do agree with you that that is not a great shot to end the movie. But I don't think the qualitative rating of a film should depend on it's last shot.

- Marc

The last shot is Short Round saying "Uh-oh" and covering his eyes as the camera pulls back and Willie and Indy kiss. Then all of the rescued children crowd around and everyone starts cheering. It's a perfectly fine closing shot.

Neil

I agree with you (I also knew you were just pointing out). But I think these three films all have their own strong and weak points. I don't mind. I think they're three verry fine films, and will enjoy all three of them as long as my DVD's will last.

- Marc

You know what? I've just realized why I love TLC so- I can't think of any weak points! (only for me). I love the whole movie, just as it is.

I gotta go with ToD here. It's just too dark for me. The opening sequence has a great feel to it, all the way up to the plane flying off into the sunset. A few minutes later, they fall into an entirely different movie.

The best ending shot for TOD would be (if you didn't care about continuity) bringing back that silhouette shot of Indy when he's about to break out the children, that pissed off look on his face is priceless

YOU F****** LOCKED UP THOSE CHILDREN, OH NO YOU DIDN"T YOU #$%^&%*^

The last shot is Short Round saying "Uh-oh" and covering his eyes as the camera pulls back and Willie and Indy kiss.  Then all of the rescued children crowd around and everyone starts cheering.  It's a perfectly fine closing shot.

Neil

to a rousing rendition of The Raider's March.

K.M.

Well at least he wasn't some little shit who learned "important lessons" about life and had a sappy scene with Indy. "I love you, Indy." "I love you too, son." and they start crying. That's seems usual for the annoying little snots of Hollywood movies. Blech. ;)

- Marc

Well at least he wasn't some little shit who learned "important lessons" about life and had a sappy scene with Indy. "I love you, Indy." "I love you too, son." and they start crying. That's seems usual for the annoying little snots of Hollywood movies. Blech. :)

- Marc

Good God man! Whenb I first started reading that I thought you were describing that God Awful Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker in everybody's favorite Star Wars films. :sigh::wave::)