Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The individual scenes are pretty well done, but there's no overall continuity; the editing is poor. And the script is flawed at times, such as with Harry and Lupin's talk after the boggart class. And there are little things that bother me, for example, Harry and Ron being total jerks at times. First, Ron concedes that Snape has a point about Hermione being an "insufferable know-it-all." No. He should stick up for his friend. And then Harry steals Neville's lollipop. Both of these things are meant to be funny, but they aren't, really. Another thing is that the new Hogwarts sets just look weird and constricting. The swinging pendulum looks like it takes out a couple students per day, the clock gears are too labyrinthine, and the water fountain area is a pretty awkward entrance to the castle.

Okay....when Prof. Lupin doesn't let Harry face his boggart and goes and takes over, he claims later on the bridge, that it was because he was afraid Voldemort was going to be Harry's boggart.  

But - Harry's boggart had already gotten a chance to appear, and it was a dementor, not Voldie. So why didn't Lupin go ahead and let him face it? (Because he was afraid Harry would pass out? And if that was the case, why he did say otherwise on the bridge?)  

If Lupin was afraid Voldemort was going to appear as Harry's boggart, he should have stepped in when Harry stepped up and was waiting, and the clown was still swaying.  

Just something that nags me watching it! Doesn't add up.

I really did not notice that. Thanks for ruining the movie for me. :?

First, Ron concedes that Snape has a point about Hermione being an "insufferable know-it-all." No. He should stick up for his friend. And then Harry steals Neville's lollipop. Both of these things are meant to be funny, but they aren't, really.

I agree, those things always bothered me a little. But it's nothing compared to similar irregularities in the first two films.

Ray Barnsbury

What worries me a little is that if Harry comes off as being this stroppy and moody in Prisoner of Azkaban, how annoying is he going to be in the fifth film??? In the book he's positively irritating at times.

Another thing is that the new Hogwarts sets just look weird and constricting. The swinging pendulum looks like it takes out a couple students per day, the clock gears are too labyrinthine, and the water fountain area is a pretty awkward entrance to the castle.

I loved the clock, it's just odd enough to work. The fountain/courtyard area is just a back door to the castle, so to speak. I think the main entrance is the part protruding out from the Great Hall, hence the Entrance Hall. They use that courtyard for going to Hagrid's or to Hogsmeade, but I think the actual entrance to the castle is at the front of it.

I agree whole-heartedly with Ray.

~Sturgis

This is an from an interview with Jamie Wylatt (plays Crabbe) Full interview @ http://www.harrypotterfanzone.com/?ID=jwinterview

HPFZ: So Jamie, what's the deal? Could you enlighten us about the condition of Franz Ferdinand and their role, if any, in the new movie?

JW: There is a lot of news on websites [including the Harry Potter Fan Zone] about them being in "the Weird Sisters" [during the Yule Ball sequence]. However, all I can say is at the Yule ball, there is a band playing music while we dance, but it?s not them! I did hear they are doing two tracks for the soundtrack, but who knows?

Well, looks like we have our first crappy change from the book in GoF. ROTFLMAO

Hermione allegedly to kiss Krum in GOF

Dutch magazine "Joepie" has published an interview with Emma Watson. There isn't a whole lot of new information, except Emma says she has to kiss Krum in the Goblet of Fire movie (no, that's not in the book), but she'd really prefer Brad Pitt. Click here for the scan (which, by the way, is thanks to E-W.net) and here for the translation.

The article also mentions that "the makers [of the films] think the trio has gotten too old to portray their characters, but that it is unknown what will happen after GoF". I wouldn't put too much weight on that, though. It's not like this is a very reliable source, and if 25-year-olds can portray high school teenagers, surely a 16-year-old can portray a 15-year-old? :roll:

It's also an old article. Notice Watson talking about not having to constantly wear the skirt anymore, and that on the left side of the page it says PoA is "playing in theatres now."

Well, looks like we have our first crappy change from the book in GoF.  ROTFLMAO  
Hermione allegedly to kiss Krum in GOF

A possible five rock songs on the soundtrack + Hermione kissing Krum

- John Williams = Mike Newell's evil plan to turn the Harry Potter franchise into a heavy metal-strewn, sexed-up, shallow cult classic.

;)

~Sturgis

So, they're actually going to have rock songs on the soundtrack?  I thought it was only a rumor.

To quote . . . well, me: A possible five songs on the soundtrack.

Just because that censored Jarvis Cocker is doing three songs apparently, and Jamie Waylett said that Franz Ferdinand might be doing two songs.

:cry:

~Sturgis

For Potter, I say better Zimmer than Horner. Zimmer has shown he respects John Williams and his music, and I'd be interested in seeing him work with someone else's theme (MI:2 doesn't count, as that it one of the worst movies ever, and Zimmer's score was right for the movie). Potter music needs to be heard and felt, something that Horner is uninterested in.

I'm sure the Warner executives would rather have Williams do the orchestral underscore rather than having another composer adapt his themes or write entirely new music for the series.What appears to have happened is that Williams CHOSE to do Memoirs of Geisha instead of GoF.

Now if that rumor that Williams is off Geisha becomes true,we can now rekindle hope that he will score GoF after all.I'm sure if he dropped off Geisha Warner will badger him into coming back to do Potter.Doyle has not been officially announced either,maybe there still weighing their options.

Kidding aside,it makes perfect sence to hire someone else to do the rock songsfor the Yule Ball,so that Cocker dude will be doing that.Pop songs are not Williams strong point.

k.M.

Imagine Klaus Badelt doing Potter. The Michael Bay clan would be ecstatic. 8O

The Badelt of "Time Machine" could turn out a decent score for this. The Badelt of PotC... not.

David Yates has been confirmed to be the director of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,

production begins in January 06,

you can read more here

David Yates has been confirmed to be the director of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,

production begins in January 06,  

you can read more here

Also here: http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/MTarchiv...ves/005425.html

The wonderful thing is that Michael Goldenberg, who did Peter Pan, is writing the script.

http://www.mugglenet.com/viewer/?image_loc...=callsheet6.jpg

You might've seen this at Mugglenet.  It's the dance rehearsal schedule for the cast.  Look closely, one of the dancers is named Louis Doyle.  Coincidence?

Louis Doyle played Ernie Macmillan in Chamber of Secrets, well before Doyle was assigned to GoF. Not conclusive, but...

look for the first trailer/teaser in March or April according to the leaky cauldron.

look for the first trailer/teaser in March or April according to the leaky cauldron.

That will be a wonderful day. I remember downloading the POA teaser trailer on November 14, 2003, and watching it at least eight times (that day alone). I liked Double Trouble so much.

~Sturgis

There's a new set report from Leaky Cauldron. Now I'm a little bit excited. But not quite back to where I was when I thought Williams would be scoring GoF.

gofgoldeneggharryrobe.jpg

OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're just dying for that robe to "accidentally" fall off, aren't you.

Why couldn't the book be called "Hermione Granger and the Goblet of Fire". And why couldn't Sarah Michelle Gellar play Hermione...

Why couldn't the book be called "Hermione Granger and the Goblet of Fire". And why couldn't Sarah Michelle Gellar play Hermione...

Or Keira Knightley...

~Sturgis

Or Keira Knightley...

~Sturgis

The "robe" does fall off in the 2001 movie The Hole. Unfirtunately she was only 15 or 16 when she filmed this so it's difficult to watch without feeling a little guilty. ;)