Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Jamsie, I too was going to post that, go to leaky cauldron or mugglenet, some are really good, especially those of Mad Eye Moody.

I'm happy with Moody, even if he doesn't look exactly like the book i know the performance will be good. Also Daniel Radcliffe is SHORT!

Everything looks great in the pictures, except for Radcliffe. That longer hair doesn't suit him. Moody's make-up looks a bit too much like make-up, but I'm sure Gleeson will make me forget about it quickly.

What's great is back in early 2002, I read the first four books together in one week, now I'll finally have four decent film versions of those realized (for now, I'll assume Goblet of Fire will be a good movie), which was my only wish at the time of reading them. If the fifth film is as good, that'll be a bonus.

It seems that Germany will be getting the Goblet of Fire on November 17th, compared to most of the rest of hte world, except for a handful of Asian/oriental countries that will also get it a day early.

So Marian can see it and tell the rest of us whether to go see it or not.

I certainly hope there'll be a midnight premiere again this time. They didn't do one for POA.

Marian - who attended midnight premieres of the first two Potter movies.

I'm torn,on the one hand I'm looking forward to this GoF movie because I'm in the Potter mood because of the new book,but on the other hand I want this movie to fail miserably because John Williams isn't doing the score to prove that he's absolutely essential.

K.M.

but on the other hand I want this movie to fail miserably because John Williams isn't doing the score to prove that he's absolutely essential.  

Too far, man. Too far. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

Patrick Doyle is currently recording with the LSO...

it is mention on the main page. ;)

Its going to interesting to hear Patrick Doyle's score for GOF. But I wish John Williams still continued to write the score though.

I certainly hope there'll be a midnight premiere again this time. They didn't do one for POA.

Marian - who attended midnight premieres of the first two Potter movies.

Just hope they don't censor it like with CoS. That must've sucked to find out. ;)

German theatrical version was cut (the Willow tree bashes the car three times less, Ron being attacked by a spider in the car, close up of a bone in the dungeons, Harry being pursued by the Basilisk, Harry uses the tooth only once to kill Voldemort, the death of Voldemort, the death of the Basilisk) to secure a "Not under 6" rating. Additionally some dialogue was changed (when Harry hears the Basilisk at the beginning, it says "I will get you" instead of "I will kill you"). This version was released on DVD & VHS in Germany and Austria but not in Switzerland where the uncut version was released (resulting in high exports to the two other countries).

Not sure a shorter version of the Spider Scene is a bad thing.

It is, since the only thing that shortens it is removing the scary cuts. Same with the basilisk, the scariest bit is missing.

Marian - who didn't find out until the DVD was announced.

That's pretty exciting to hear, that the score is being recorded. How great would it be if we had score reports a la Episode III? Although, I admit that does ruin some of the surprise of having a new score. I'm just very curious as to the direction Doyle is taking with GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

It seems a bit soon that they are already recording now, I thought with PS that Williams only start recording it in September...

It seems a bit soon that they are already recording now, I thought with PS that Williams only start recording it in September...

I wonder if Doyle was around during the shooting, as he likes to do. If he was, that might be a reason why he's finished already.

Marian - :angry:

Well, the usual practice is for the composer to write the score after the actors have finished, so he could still have done it later. But his usual practice at least for Branagh's films is to write at least some of the music quite early, even when he doesn't appear in the movie himself, as far as I know.

Marian - who thinks he should act more, too. ;)

Yes, with Henry V he was writing music on set... then again, he was an actor in that one so there wasn't much choice.

Really? That's fantastic! I've never heard of that happening (save for Howard Shore's cameo in Edoras in ROTK). Good on him.

I hope we get a sneak preview.

there is a brouhaha, over the grave marker in the Goblet of Fire that the WB says will be corrected by the films release.

Its the marker for Tom Riddle, but it has the middle name as Marvolo, which is Voldemort's middle name.

it will be fixed.

Really? That's fantastic! I've never heard of that happening (save for Howard Shore's cameo in Edoras in ROTK). Good on him.

Doyle was a trained actor before he became a composer. In Henry V, he's basically just an extra, but he does get the first solo in Non Nobis Domine. He also gets to sing in Much Ado About Nothing, and he can be seen in the background of tons of scenes. He has two cameos in Dead Again plus one in In the Bleak Midwinter (which he did not score).

Early in the 80s, he starred in Chariots of Fire.

Marian - who has yet to see that one.

Well this won't help money-wise for the movie studio. Oh well. Who cares about the rating. Except overly-protective weeny little soccer moms with weeny little kids who can't handle the word DAMN TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE

Honestly I don't think a Harry Potter movie will again see less than a PG-13 rating, and if it does then it will be too dumbed down for me. I think it's okay to show kids of a certain age, that death happens, it's a natural part of life.

For some reason, I strongly remember the first movie I got to see in theatre that had "damn" in it. It was a real big deal to me, I felt so grown up. LOL I was 6 years old and it was "Harry and the Hendersons".

About the score, I'm a bit excited, Doyle is so talented and can write beautiful, dramatic stuff. If JW was ready to move on to something else, I respect that, and Doyle was one of the two I would have wanted to see do it. ;)

I'm dying to know what he'll use of JW's, I feel Hedwig's Theme is sure to be in there. I wonder if the young director for OOTP (David Yates) will also want Doyle, if he likes his GOF? He's also British, so I would assume so...

Greta

Yes!!! I was thrilled to read about the PG-13 rating on MuggleNet. That really displays more of a dedication to making the film true to the book than pandering to the masses/execs. Good for Newell!

I'm really curious about the score as well, Greta. What a treat it'll be to (hopefully) hear Williams themes utilized by another talented composer and blended with his own new material. As of now, I'm just holding out for Hedwig's Theme, as it's clearly the "main" theme of the series and the most identifiable to audiences. But hearing others would be great, even if they're just cameos. In any case, I definitely have high hopes for the film and score.

Ray Barnsbury

ok lets get one thing straight, its going to be PG-13, but its not been rated yet. So obviously its being cut to fit a PG-13. The film won't be submitted to the board until sometime in late October.

Yes!!!  I was thrilled to read about the PG-13 rating on MuggleNet.  That really displays more of a dedication to making the film true to the book than pandering to the masses/execs.  Good for Newell!  

I'm really curious about the score as well, Greta.  What a treat it'll be to (hopefully) hear Williams themes utilized by another talented composer and blended with his own new material.  As of now, I'm just holding out for Hedwig's Theme, as it's clearly the "main" theme of the series and the most identifiable to audiences.  But hearing others would be great, even if they're just cameos.  In any case, I definitely have high hopes for the film and score.

Ray Barnsbury

Yep, it's a good sign. Now wait for all the letters from moms who, like with Revenge of the Sith, say "But my child loves Harry Potter! Why can't you make it so everyone can see it?" I scoff at that.

Wait a minute... last I checked, the book GoF didn't have PG-13 material in it. So unless they've really nailed the horror of baby Voldemort, there must be some added gore, or whatever.

Wait a minute... last I checked, the book GoF didn't have PG-13 material in it. So unless they've really nailed the horror of baby Voldemort, there must be some added gore, or whatever.

well the Harry potter movies are based on the book.