Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

In my opinion books 5 and 6 suck, book 4 wasn't that good either but at least something happened in that one even if it doesn't make much sense. The argument continues because you have a right to think they're great and I have a right to think they're terrible.
you assume too much,

you do not have the right, you have only the right to be wrong. Saying book for wasn't that good should be punished by a slow, long, painful death.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other ones had that too.

I thought book 5 was still excellent, except for the horrible Grawp subplot, which drags the pacing down into a nearly unescapable depth every time it rears its ugly head.

Book 6 is a setup for book 7 in every way, but as a result, the book itself suffer hugely. The final 100 pages are riveting, but everything else is dragged out far too long. The weakest book in the series. Great highs, but too many great lows. CoS wasn't the best either, but at least it was consistent.

The last two Harry Potter novels are great as is the rest of the series. I'm confused as to why this argument continues.

Because you have no critical bone in your body. For many Potterfans, any form of dissidence towards the great all-powerful and all-knowing J.K. Rowling and her glorious plot and story mythology must be met with the harshest of punishment.

The last two Harry Potter novels are great as is the rest of the series. I'm confused as to why this argument continues.

Because you have no critical bone in your body. For many Potterfans, any form of dissidence towards the great all-powerful and all-knowing J.K. Rowling and her glorious plot and story mythology must be met with the harshest of punishment.

You don't know me.

and how have you been HPfan 2?

Good. I've grown alot since this place. In film school, making films doing what I love. Can't complain. Just came back for nostalgia. Don't really know if this is a fleating fancy.

You don't know me.

I know enough to see that you have trouble recognising literary mediocrity.

You don't know me.

Ah okay so this is why I left.

You don't know me.

then you need to speak to Stephen King because he's a rather harsh critic and he found the novels to be excellent.

Personally I think you're overly critical, and I think Diego is nuts, especially in his attack on Goblet of Fire which is personally to me the best of a great group of books.

You're making a pretty broad statement there Drax. A large percentage of this board are HP fans and I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who doesn't find any weaknesses in the books. Just because some of us still love the books despite the weaknesses doesn't mean we don't see them. They're part of the books' identities. I still appreciate OotP even though there is much I don't like about it (and there is quite a bit that I don't like, the size being one).

Well I suppose that's me. I'd be making just as many assumptions by implying "we" think this. Unless I was Borg.

yeah Diego, and Drax, get over it,

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be the biggest selling book this year, with the largest intial printing ever. Course the Solomon Key will also be hugely successful, but it will be poorly written, and yet people will love it.

then you need to speak to Stephen King because he's a rather harsh critic and he found the novels to be excellent. Personally I think you're overly critical

I don't give a damn what Stephen King thinks. I found no enjoyment in Half-Arsed Prince, which took away from my enjoyment of the rest of the series leading me to finally believe it's nothing more than a pulp fiction fad. And I don't think I'm being overly critical, I'm being quite fair considering some works of fiction I give the benefit of the doubt. Book 6 was nothing but an overhyped disappointment.

You're making a pretty broad statement there Drax. A large percentage of this board are HP fans and I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who doesn't find any weaknesses in the books. Just because some of us still love the books despite the weaknesses doesn't mean we don't see them.

That still doesn't change the fact that I thought HAP was about the quality of a Star Wars prequel.

Indeed. But you accused people of blindly loving the books, which simply isn't true. Not on this board anyway. There are countless arguments on inconsistencies, plot holes, poor writing and boring chapters between these "fans".

Personally I think you're overly critical, and I think Diego is nuts, especially in his attack on Goblet of Fire which is personally to me the best of a great group of books.

So I'm nuts because I don't think a children's book is that good?? I didn't even say it was terrible, and in fact it was the last HP book I enjoyed, but the truth is that the plot doesn't make that much sense to me.

Why didn't Mad-eye (or whoever it really was, I forgot his name) just called Harry to his office and say "hey hold this" and that's it, he's in the graveyard. Why go to all the trouble of entering Harry in a tournament he wasn't even allowed to participate, then make sure he wins?? It's a very strange plan and one that could fail considering Harry's not a great wizard yet. Why did Dumbledore, knowing that Voldemort might come back and how dangerous the tournament itself is, let him participate?? I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense.

I'm a Star Wars fan and I'll be the first to say that a lot of things in SW don't make sense, and certainly won't get upset if someone says Episode 2 is a terrible movie for example.

Episode II is a terrible movie.

I've tried to read the HP books and found them to be a complete bore but my 19 year old daughter, who by the way is much more intelligent and smarter than I am and is very picky about things, finds them to be an absolute delight to read.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows will be the biggest selling book this year, with the largest intial printing ever.  Course the Solomon Key will also be hugely successful, but it will be poorly written, and yet people will love it.

And Deathly Hallows won't be? I'm sure it won't be as bad as Brown, and certainly not as long-winded as her first two books, but even still, Rowling always manages to punch in some horribly repetitive statements throughout each book.

Indeed. But you accused people of blindly loving the books, which simply isn't true. Not on this board anyway. There are countless arguments on inconsistencies, plot holes, poor writing and boring chapters between these "fans".

I've lived amongst Star Wars/Potter/Bond/LOTR communities long enough to know what happens to those who oppose the majority. The ones like Joe or HPFan who praise the Potter books to no end aren't any better than the ones who mercilessly bash them.

Why shouldn't it be possible that many indeed do blindly love book 6? By the time book 6 (or 5 or 4) came out, many were already so in love with the series that they would most likely ignore flaws in the writing, storytelling or whatever.

Personally, I think Half-Blood Prince is as interesting as watching water heating up, but Azkaban, Goblet Of Fire and Order Of The Phoenix (especially the latter) I found great. Books 1 and 2 are good, but I wouldn't read them again.

But there is no doubt that the series is anything but perfect (or "sheer brilliance"). In every book, Rowling explains the earlier events, the characters, the places over and over and over again. And every time it becomes more elaborate. For the love of god, WHY? It's godawful to read, just painful.

Half-Blood Prince already started on the wrong note when Rowling uses an entire chapter to retell the events of books 1-5! It's nothing more than a long, boring flashback in disguise.

I've lived amongst Star Wars/Potter/Bond/LOTR communities long enough to know what happens to those who oppose se.

Just by curiosity ,was you screenmame really meant to be geekgyver?

K.M.

Newman!

You don't know me.

You left because people disagreed with you?

In every book, Rowling explains the earlier events, the characters, the places over and over and over again. And every time it becomes more elaborate. For the love of god, WHY? It's godawful to read, just painful.

Half-Blood Prince already started on the wrong note when Rowling uses an entire chapter to retell the events of books 1-5! It's nothing more than a long, boring flashback in disguise.

I think it goes back to a decision made in the beginning by Rowling and her editor, that a person who starts by reading, say, book 3, should understand certain events that took place in earlier books.

it makes sense,especially if you read the last book 2 years earlier.

K.M.Who unlike some other people,doesn,t read the same book multiple times

In every book, Rowling explains the earlier events, the characters, the places over and over and over again. And every time it becomes more elaborate. For the love of god, WHY? It's godawful to read, just painful.

I think it goes back to a decision made in the beginning by Rowling and her editor, that a person who starts by reading, say, book 3, should understand certain events that took place in earlier books.

But sometimes she repeats descriptions of something she described just in the previous paragraph, such as in Book 5, where she is describing the flight of the invisible horse creatures.

I didn't think that's what gkgyver was referring to.

But I do agree Rowling seems to be getting more and more unnecessary elaborate in her writing as the series progresses. In book 1, you would read "Harry went downstairs for breakfast," whereas in book 6, you would read something more like "Harry slipped on his robe and put on his glasses before trudging down the stairs and walking into the kitchen, where he helped himself to some bacon and eggs with a nice glass of freshly squeezed orange juice."

The recaps can get tedious after a while, but face it, they're common practice, even in art - even in Wagner's Ring cycle.

I still haven't read it a second time, but as I said before, I found HBP to be close to POA, which if course is the best of the first five books.

I disagree. This board has become a Potter board in disguise.

Why shouldn't it be possible that many indeed do blindly love book 6? By the time book 6 (or 5 or 4) came out, many were already so in love with the series that they would most likely ignore flaws in the writing, storytelling or whatever.

I'm so glad I fell out of love with it.

how sad, how stupid, but to each his own, blind though you be

So sad and stupid that I don't like reading a book about a shrimpy knobbly little nerd playing with his wand anymore.

no sad that you think your better than those of us who like it, you act superior, which I know your not, its probably a defense mechanism.

it makes sense,especially if you read the last book 2 years earlier.  

K.M.Who unlike some other people,doesn,t read the same book multiple times

So, the Potter stories are so incredibly complex and subtle that you can't remember what the previous book was about? Come on!

So far I've read each Potter book only once, and at some point of book 5 (I think) I was so aggravated by the constant flashbacks at the beginning that I skipped like 10 pages.

Do we now have to protect those people who start with book 3 and wonder why they are confused? I don't need the rulebook of Quidditch in every goddamn book.

Newman!

You don't know me.

You left because people disagreed with you?

No.

Then why?

Because this place is a breeding ground for bad temper and imatture banter over stupid issues. This isn't a place people come to discuss issues that we all have in common. It's a damn battle royale for opinion, you all throw punches at each other with big words and whitty syntax. Nothing more. This conversation-no childish squabble, is a perfect example of how stagnat this place has become. I'm only here because of nostalgia. It may last another day or till someone replies to this comment with some sharp insult. Eh I'll see what happens.

I for one am glad your back, despite the fact that you and I have had issues, I enjoy your posts and candor.

Then why?

Because this place is a breeding ground for bad temper and imatture banter over stupid issues. This isn't a place people come to discuss issues that we all have in common. It's a damn battle royale for opinion, you all throw punches at each other with big words and whitty syntax. Nothing more. This conversation-no childish squabble, is a perfect example of how stagnat this place has become. I'm only here because of nostalgia. It may last another day or till someone replies to this comment with some sharp insult. Eh I'll see what happens.

It hasn't been that bad in my experience. Then again, I haven't been here as long as you have.

If you want to see a bad MB, then look no further than IMBd.

I for one am glad your back, despite the fact that you and I have had issues, I enjoy your posts and candor.

I am surprised to hear that. I think you will be equaly surprised to find out that I think you are probably the only insane but tolerable person here.

Like it all you want.  But think about that the next time you or anyone else tells someone off for liking one of those terrible Star Wars prequels.  Those and HAP are about as bad and disappointing as each other.

there is a difference, those Star Wars prequels are terrible, but the HP books are not.

In 100 years people will still be reading the HP books, and people will still be watching Star Wars, but the prequels will be long forgotten, or remember as the really really terrible movies they are.

Like it all you want.  But think about that the next time you or anyone else tells someone off for liking one of those terrible Star Wars prequels.  Those and HAP are about as bad and disappointing as each other.

there is a difference, those Star Wars prequels are terrible, but the HP books are not.

In 100 years people will still be reading the HP books, and people will still be watching Star Wars, but the prequels will be long forgotten, or remember as the really really terrible movies they are.

I seriously doubt 20 years after 1999 that if Lucas re-released TPM it would gross 30+ million opening weekend, beating new releases soundly and end up grossing $110 + million much like Star Wars did upon it's re-release 1997.

But people will continue to read books, no matter how far back they were written.

Book 6 could certainly give the Prequels a run for their money. They're as bad as each other.

Unless Harry Potter proves to be a fad, which I'm betting it will. And of course, if people are still reading the novels in 2107, I'd say there wouldn't be many since most people would have found many more sagas to gush about by that point.