I'm Bummed

Lurker

The local CD store where I used to buy all of my new CD's has closed. They had a very good selection and the prices were better than anyone elses. I was hoping to go there to pick up the SA-CD version of E.T. before going to demo some SA-CD equipment, but I guess that won't be happening now. Is this the future? I know Tower is in trouble financially.

As much as I love trading music (on-line and CD-R's), I also like browsing in stores, digging up that album I always wanted but just could never remember. When I was a kid I'd always head to the "S" section of the soundtracks (2 guesses why). Now I have the iTunes music store, which is nice for somethings, but it can't compete with a real record store, at least not at this point. 500,000 songs? Big deal! When iTunes becomes like Napster at its peak, when pretty much any piece of music imaginable was residing on someone's hard drive, then maybe I'll start shopping there more.

Neil

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When iTunes becomes like Napster at its peak, when pretty much any piece of music imaginable was residing on someone's hard drive, then maybe I'll start shopping there more.

Being as how I found at least Spacecamp, Galaxy Quest, and quite a few of the LC boot tracks there, I think Audiogalaxy became like that before they were shut down (at least before Satellite was shut down).

Kazaa is turning into that, too. I mean, Rambo III, The 'Burbs, and Dennis the Menace? Those aren't exactly easy finds. Even though I didn't find so many rare Williams tracks that I didn't have. (The only ones I could probably really find would be from Witches of Eastwick or Fiddler on the Roof).

But you've got a point, Neil. iTunes won't be great until you can find as much on there as you can find on IMDb about movie scores (that's a higher goal to shoot for, but more power to 'em if they can hit it).

I also did not buy CDs in 2003. Last thing I bought: Catch Me If You Can, E.T.(original score release), and Sleepers on December 24, 2002.

First year I don't but anything since, hmmm, 1990, I think. My first buy was Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture on cassette in 1991.

:music: Goldsmith The Blue Max Suite

London Symphony Orchestra

Jerry Goldsmith

iTunes added the Gil Shaham version of "Devil's Dance" the other day if anyone who doesn't have it is interested. I was thrilled since I hated to spend $12+ on a used CD just for that one track that I so desperately had to have.

Great slinky rendition of the piece, though I could do without that cheesy wind effect and dialogue at the beginning of it.

Great slinky rendition of the piece, though I could do without that cheesy wind effect and dialogue at the beginning of it.

If it's there, then someone goofed. That CD has a "hidden" track at the beginning of it. If you just insert the CD and push play, it goes right to "Devil's Dance". However, if you rewind the disc, you get the stupid sound effects. It's supposed to be hidden and not part of the main track.

Neil

Some of you guys bought NO CDs ikn 2003?

Not a very surprising revelation really. It was a EXTREMELY poor year for scores. Only a handful of noteworthy releases.

-Secret Weapons Over Normandy by Michael Giacchino

-Children of Dune by Brian Tyler

-Call of Duty by Michael Giacchino

-Return of the King by Howard Shore (though it was kind of lackluster)

I've also heard The Last Samurai is pretty good so I may look into that.

Some of you guys bought NO CDs ikn 2003?  

Not a very surprising revelation really. It was a EXTREMELY poor year for scores. Only a handful of noteworthy releases.  

-Secret Weapons Over Normandy by Michael Giacchino

-Children of Dune by Brian Tyler

-Call of Duty by Michael Giacchino

-Return of the King by Howard Shore (though it was kind of lackluster)

I've also heard The Last Samurai is pretty good so I may look into that.

Yeah, it really was a bad year.

I got Intolerable Cruelty and RoTK. And I'm in the process of getting Children of Dune, which is by far my favorite of the year. There 3-4 more I might buy in the future (Last Samurai, X2, Finding Nemo).

Although I did get tons of old stuff. Probably more than any other person on these boards.

They goofed (on the Devil's Dance). Wish they hadn't--it embarasses me playing that aloud and hearing that stupid "the devil rides on a fiddle stick" line with folks in the same room. It's just strange.

I've bought shameful amounts of old CDs this year, plus a couple of new ones: 40 Years of John Williams, The Missing, and I'm finally getting around to getting (once it arrives in the mail) last year's Indy rerecordings from Silva.

And this isn't to mention expenditures at iTunes. I check weekly to see if they have new music, but as noted above, the soundtrack section has a ways to go. Wish they could separate all of the damned showtunes from the film scores too. I've always hated going through record stores in the soundtrack section, having to dig my way through song-and-dance pap to get to film scores.

They goofed (on the Devil's Dance). Wish they hadn't--it embarasses me playing that aloud and hearing that stupid "the devil rides on a fiddle stick" line with folks in the same room.

Yeah, I know what you mean. How you gonna defend John Williams as the composer of your choice after that!?

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's pretty good, a unused song by Annie Lennox, some nice photo's, a lot of choral translations and a nice docu about the making of the score, seems very casual, not like the slick, scripted docu's you get on regular DVD's.

Seeing Howard Shore giving an interview in his hotel bathrobe whilst drinking a cappucino is worth the price of this set alone.

There are a few snippets of unreleased music there, including the choral Fellowship theme, but it sounds very distant and has production noise in it.

Ren, did you see the way Shore conducts, no baton?

Stefancos- who thinks Howard Shore is kinda a wacky guy.

There are a few snippets of unreleased music there, including the choral Fellowship theme, but it sounds very distant and has production noise in it.

Ren, did you see the way Shore conducts, no baton?

Stefancos- who thinks Howard Shore is kinda a wacky guy.

I've seen him conduct with a baton (doesn't he on the Fellowship DVDs?)

He used a baton on saturday night live.

@Diskobolus: Where'd you get a promo from?

Morlock- who just found out a guy he knows knows Shore! (Although not very well)

Same here- I went from being a fan to collector. I think I've got a pretty nice selection for someone who only started collecting in April 2002, with Hook and Harry Potter.

CD's I got this year. (Ratings out of 5)

Finding Nemo ****

Gods and Generals ****

The Hulk ***

The Italian Job ** (My brother got this one)

The Last Samurai ****

Looney Tunes: Back in Action ****

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King *****

The Matrix Reloaded ****

The Matrix Revolutions ****

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl ** :)

S.W.A.T. ***

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines ****

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life ****

X2: X-Men United ****

CD's I need to get from '03 (These are just the ones that I have heard in the film)

Johnny English

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Matchstick Men

Peter Pan

Open Range

Seabiscuit

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas

Justin -Who thought it was a fine year. No JW but there are other composers out there.

I bought Sinbad and Peter Pan this year, and both excellent scores have become two of my very favorites. I also got some CDs for Christmas, but I guess they don't count since they were gifts.

Ray Barnsbury

I didn't buy any new Williams CDs, but I did trade for several pressed Williams CDs and also aquired many unreleased "boot" CDRs in trades as well.

As for non-scores, my mom got a bunch of non-score CDs that I listen to also. Some music that she likes that I like a little bit too.

I got a record number of 16 soundtracks the past year. That may not sound like much, but I also spent a lot of money on DVD's. Plus I have a fairly limited budget. These are the CD's I got:

John Williams - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (OST)

James Horner - The Perfect Storm (OST)

John Williams - Jaws (CE)

John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (CE)

John Williams - Superman: The Movie (2 CD)

John Williams - Schindler's List (OST)

James Horner - Braveheart (OST)

James Newton Howard - Dinosaur (OST)

John Williams - Catch Me If You Can (OST)

Danny Elfman - Batman (OST)

Randy Newman - Toy Story (OST)

Randy Newman - Toy Story 2 (OST)

James Horner - More Music From "Braveheart"

John Williams - The Lost World: Jurassic Park (OST)

Howard Shore - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (OST)

David Arnold - Independence Day (OST)

Best buy of the year: Independence Day

Very close runner-up: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Ultra mega scam: More Music From "Braveheart". :spiny:

- Marc

Ultra mega scam: More Music From "Braveheart".

I was going to post something about this - but you already did :spiny:

- Lotman - not scammed

I bought Braveheart when I was about 10 and my mom heard the "F" word on it and made me return it. It turned out great because I got The Lion King instead. :spiny:

Justin -Who bought the CD thinking it was the OST.

I think Braveheart is a much better buy than the Lion King (movie, not score). Lion King is overrated. It's a blatant Star Wars rip-off, and the only thing going for it are a few great images and the score.

K Stefan, I'm getting ready to watch it as I type. If shore had no baton, what the chorus there? Usually conductors project the imagery with their hands when a chorus is involved. if not, GREAT more instrumentalists need the experience of a conductor with no baton. For most, it's a cruch and they usually conduct better with out it.

I think Braveheart is a much better buy than the Lion King (movie, not score). Lion King is overrated. It's a blatant Star Wars rip-off, and the only thing going for it are a few great images and the score.

Well I was talking about the score. On More Music From Braveheart there are quotes from the film and amongst them is an "F". ROTFLMAO

Justin

The More Music from Braveheart CD has dialogue playing over some parts of music, even parts that were previously unreleased. There are some only-dialogue tracks, and there are five tracks of bag pipe music, that wasn't even used in the film. The liner notes say they were included "to uphold the spirit of William Wallace and the bravery of the Scots" or something along those lines.

Such antics are wasted. When buying an expanded release of a soundtrack, I want more music from the film, not stuff that wasn't even in the film, and if I want people talking through the score, I'll rip it off the goddamn VHS. Furthermore, a sticker on the front of the jewel case reads "From the Academy Award winning composer of Titanic." That wraps it up. This album is a clear attempt to cash in from Horner's success on Titanic, and by jamming in some other crap, they can make a short list on the cover to lure more unsuspecting customers. And I fell for it. Shame on me.

Still, if you want I could sell it to you. ROTFLMAO

- Marc

I'm sorry? Star Wars rip-off?