What do you associate with JW's music?

Maybe I should tell you all the premise of this thread so you can go from there. I had my all-music playlist running (which is more like a radio station nowadays), and "Lightshow" from CE3K came on. A lot of times when music comes on, it just goes in one ear and out the other. But this morning, I listened to it because it was on right after "Welcome to Mayfield Pl.", another piece I'm enjoying quite a bit lately (the piano orchestration is ingenious). When I was listening to Lightshow, I thought about the places the track has been known to "take me". I'm sure you all could relate. I live in the middle of horse country and there's a lot of really awesome horsefarms around here, close to the airport. I guess maybe my love of the airport and airplanes is what sparked the love of driving around the country, around the horsefarms, but I associate "Lightshow" with that. One time, I think President Clinton had flown in to make a trip down to eastern KY and Air Force One was sitting at the airport, along with about three C-5s for his motorcade. We'd gone out there late at night, because I think the planes were leaving, and I played "Lightshow" when they went, and it was pretty sweet. We don't get big stuff like that into our airport that often, so it's pretty special when we do. Around that time, I played Lightshow whenever we went out to the airport at night--it was great everytime.

What I really love to do is sit in a room at night, in the dark, during the spring, with the windows open and a nice breeze coming through, and listen to that track.

There's quite a few JW scores that remind of that horsefarm area, partially because I bought them in a town not far from there. SpaceCamp is one (that's where I found the LP for $2). Explorers is, too. Star Trek II was the first to set the trend, though. I was in 6th grade and we had been doing a horse-related project in English class, so for some reason, my family and I had driven out to the Keeneland racetrack, and it was probably the first time I'd ever seen the grandstand. I'd been pretty sick that week, and when we went out to Keeneland, it was the first time I'd been out of the house. So combine beautiful countryside with springtime air, recovering from a stomach flu, getting out of the house, a great sunset, and the adventurous tone of Star Trek II, that makes for one heck of a musical experience.

Another place I commonly associate music with is Cincinnati. A lot of Williams' more urban/modern scores usually get associated here. And not necessarily because I'm listening to it while we're driving through there. It's just that some parts of the music remind me of images connected with a modern, sophisticated metropolis like Cincinnati. I usually associate Minority Report, Total Recall, Catch Me If You Can, and JW's classical pieces with Cincinnati (or Louisville). I actually associate AI with Louisville and southern Indiana (even in the rural parts), because I bought it in Louisville, when we'd been on our way up to this winery/family fun farm place that was in southern Indiana. It was really cool to drive down these small country roads, around these small farming communities, amidst the rolling hills, and bits of forest and have something a little contemporary like AI playing. It's one of those times when a random combination just works. Usually, when you think of southern Indiana, your mind may tend to think of something like The Reivers or The Cowboys, not AI.

I think my post is long enough, though. But I think that's a good thing, because it just shows how much I can get into Williams' music.

:P "To Manhattan" from AI--and it randomly came up on the "radio" while I was typing this

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I just read the thread title and I immediately knew who had written it.

Yeah, call me eccentric but I either associate it to his movies and/or the feeling of the scene they're meant to fit, or I associate it with any fiction that's in my head, usually inspired by the music.

Well i want to become-no sorry i will- become a movie director one day. So when i hear his music i think of sequences in some fictitios movie. For instacne when ever i hear Zam the assasin i always think of a high paced, wild horse ride with guns a blazing speeding along the golden desert background of the midwest. I always construct shots and sequences in my head when i hear his music. It's very inspiring. For the Cuidditch World Cup in the fourth HP book i always thought that Augie's Great Municipal Band should play as we pan and get the full scope of the stadium and the event. So whenever i hear it i think about wide angles the lighting how the gold stadium should shimmer and what kind of cuts and establishing shots i should use.

I usually associate the music with images in my head not related to the film it was written for. Alot of it depends on how I'm feeling mood wise.

Sometimes I try to imagine the orchestra and composer perfroming the music.

It varies for me too. Sometimes I may think of the scene it was written for, and other times more abstract images or ideas. I also like to think of the instruments playing, and playing the horn parts myself.

Ray Barnsbury

When I hear certain music I don't get much images besides the ones from the scene in question... I start thinking more of which older composers music it resembles most... E.g. always when I hear March of the Villains I start thinking about Prokofiev...

I associate it with someone who knows what he's doing. One of the very few Uber masters that film music has ever known. Who cares if he scored those Potter movies in a slightly rehashed way? We can easily forgive him for that. He's still the best living film composer in this part of the galaxy. And, I better say this now, everyone of us is going to cry if he dies, even Rogue Leader.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't normally associate scenes with music, perhaps movie "images" but for the most part i just picture me conducting them and getting all flooded. . . .LOL

If I haven't seen the movie yet, I might imagine something other than what actually takes place in the scene.

But, some of the themes just make me want to do whatever takes place in the movie IE:when I listen to The Cowboys it makes me want to be riding on a horse or something.

Weird, yes but thats just me.

I'm weird. :)

Do not worry The Lord is Judge, I also associate Williams' music with other things than the movies he wrote them for. Sometimes I do remember certain scene but don't keep thinking about it like some people here do. I find it kind of silly to put a CD to picture the scenes in my mind, I prefer listening to the music and getting the feeling of it.

Heh...I didn't realize I was such a crackpot for associating JW music with other things more than the movies they go to.

I'm a crackpot as well then... I associate Jurassic Park with the summer of '93. When I listen to the music it takes me back to my last summer of high school, friends I had then, my summer job that year (McDonalds!)... its a complete time warp.

A few years ago, I broke up with my then-girlfriend (now-wife) and the night we broke up I listened to JWs newest score, The Patriot. I can't listen to the Patriot now without thinking of that night. It's not painful though, as we're now married and it all had a happy ending. But when I hear the strings of the Main Theme, it takes me back to that night.

I don't have a lot of non-film associations with his music, but one really vivid exception is Duel of the Fates. Whenever I hear it, I can hear the weird creaky floorboards and the strange smell of the apartment I lived in the summer it came out.

I associate them with the images for which they were created as well. But sometimes, I will imagine the orchestra sewating through something like "Anderton's Great Escape" or the last 30 minutes of "The Empire Strikes Back."

Jeff -- who recently imagined Perlman playing the main theme to "Schindler's List"

Williams is perfect for fieldtrips, or walking in woods, nature, etc...etc...

Jerry's action stuff is brilliant for driving a car or bike, though it will turn you into a speeding lunatic.

The ultimate track for riding your bicycle if offcourse Adventure's On earth from E.T.

Jerry's action stuff is brilliant for driving a car or bike, though it will turn you into a speeding lunatic.

Yeah, I like driving around to "The Hijacking" from AFO and pretty much any of the big action cues from Total Recall.

TMP and First Contact are great to listen to at night, when you're out in the country or on the interstate. I just got it, but I think Poltergeist would definitely provide the same effects, since it's basically like an extension of all the Vertigo-esque material from TMP (with a bit of Alien thrown in for good measure).

As for Williams, he's good during daytime/sunset. Except for his classical pieces. They're good nighttime pieces. Especially Tree Song.

On my flight to California in 2002, while we were flying over the Grand Canyon, I had the 4 "Vejur" cues playing from Star Trek - The Motion Picture. It was one of the most powerful moments for me, and that's saying quite a bit as I know that score very well, and have been listening to it for over 20 years. But hearing those dark mysterious cues playing while viewing the Grand Canyon from 20,000....well the view I had certainly leant itself well to the music.

A few weeks ago, I did something similar, though this time it was intentional. While driving home at 2 am in some of the thickest fog I've ever driven in, I put those same cues on.

Neil

I love music that fits the area/mood/etc. Last year I was listening to an Elfman compilation while driving through a wooded area at night, with fog hanging above the ground. It was very cool.

Ray Barnsbury

I can associate his music with damn near anything. Seperate great works such as novels and films different from the one the music was written for.

OF course sometimes this is difficult because JW's theme have become so signature its hard to associate them with anything but the material they were written for.

The Raiders March and the main SW theme being among the foremost examples of this.

It's weird for me because I think I could listen to any other composer (not just a film score composer), and still have it inspire my imagination to create images to go with it. I just happened to start listening to JW and got hooked on it. I listen to his music so separately from the movies, because I enjoy interpreting the music myself. I hate listening to Star Wars because it only reminds me of the movie and nothing else. I've pretty much done this all my life, too. I'm just now remembering that when I was about 4 or 5, I had a tape player I took around with me everywhere, and I had the ANH LP on cassette. I remember a trip to this resort town in Tennessee, and I listened to ANH the whole time or something. I don't think I had a lot of images from the movie to put with the music; I had to imagine it for myself. I doubt I'd even seen ANH yet. I think I pretty much only saw TESB and ROTJ over and over up until I was pretty old and finally saw ANH (and when I did, it had extra footage with Biggs on Tatooine--the stuff that supposedly only showed up a few years ago with that "Behind the Magic" program).

When I pick up a score first and see the movie later, it's more or less like I'm seeing what kind of images the movie suggests I associate with it, but I don't have to accept them if I don't want. I know that's contrary to what the music was written for, but who's the one listening to it?

Generally listening to a score first doesn't affect me much. It all depends on the movie and how well the music works with it.

If I see a movie and the way it the music plays with it is so profound it has a real impact on me it doesn't matter if I have heard the music before independently of the film. I will still tend to generally envision the movie itself at least a good deal when I listen to the score afterward.

finally saw ANH (and when I did, it had extra footage with Biggs on Tatooine--the stuff that supposedly only showed up a few years ago with that "Behind the Magic" program).

Oh no, let's not start spreading this rumor around. The Biggs stuff has never been cut back into Star Wars and shown on television. Period. Some shots of behind the scenes footage of this were shown on TV in the "Making of Star Wars", but that's it.

Neil

When I listen to the bittersweet ESB love theme,especially Carbon Freeze and The Rebel Fleet,it reminds me of a girl I fell in love with but it didn't work out in the end :mrgreen:

K.M.

Oh no, let's not start spreading this rumor around. The Biggs stuff has never been cut back into Star Wars and shown on television. Period. Some shots of behind the scenes footage of this were shown on TV in the "Making of Star Wars", but that's it.

Heh...if you think I'm going to let you start telling me what I have and haven't seen, I'll eat my hat!

Would you like any condiments with that hat :eek:

From what I know it has never been cut in as Neil pointed out, but the entire scene can be viewed on the old "Insider's Guide" disc for the OT that Lucasarts released. Boy is Luke a geek in it too! Geekier than we ever saw him in the film (or TV edit).

Heh...if you think I'm going to let you start telling me what I have and haven't seen, I'll eat my hat!

Let me re-phrase that. The Biggs stuff was never cut back into Star Wars, until a portion of a scene was edited back into the SE for the 1997 re-issue. This was the scene where Luke and Biggs see each other just before the "Battle of Yavin".

Neil

what one does it for you Neil?????? LOL

If you are referring to Star Wars then the original 1977 version is what I prefer, but I think you already know that.

The 1997 "Special Edition" is rotten and the TV version Daniel mentions doesn't exist.

Neil

JW music is for me... feeling. I love music in general. I listen to his... and I hear love, compassion, and whatever he really wants to put in there.

I have a lot of musical experiance for somone my age, and his music just really brings out a lot for me. I find that songs like catch me if you can calm me and songs like Raiders march just make me wanna move around.

Im not the most experianced in williams music, but I know music, and I know what his does to me

When I listen to the bittersweet ESB love theme,especially Carbon Freeze and The Rebel Fleet,it reminds me of a girl I fell in love with but it didn't work out in the end :eek:  

K.M.

Something like that here, with the love theme from Braveheart, among others.

what one does it for you Neil?????? LOL

If you are referring to Star Wars then the original 1977 version is what I prefer, but I think you already know that.

The 1997 "Special Edition" is rotten and the TV version Daniel mentions doesn't exist.

Neil

I also prefer tthe original versions. I have the widescreen movies they released in 1995. But with time the tape gets those things that pass across the screen, they're ruined. Lucas should release them on DVD for his own good, or else :music:

:P

you brought up the age thing, we didn't xbox:)

Im just telling the truth about how I feel. To be comletly honest, there arent many people my age who appreciate music as much as me... im proud of that

meh, age is overrated

Im just telling the truth about how I feel. To be comletly honest, there arent many people my age who appreciate music as much as me... im proud of that  

Yes, we've achieved nerdness at a very early age

- from It's a Wonderful Life   :D

Of course- Still the most feel good movie ever. Although I don't like it being the official Christmas movie- I never saw it as a christmas movie.

Well, For some reason I never really felt the Christmas spirit (although that would be a bit difficult, me being jewish and all :D ).

I just don't like being excluded from the audience of the movie because it's a 'Chirstmas movie'. It could theoretically be many other holidays, just Christmas is the most well known and most internationaly celebrated one.

Yup. I once saw the colored version- and it sucked. That's the only good thing I can say about Lucas now-a-days, he was always againt using computor coloring for movies.

To Quote the always entertaining Orson Wells- "Keep Ted Turner and his crayons away fromCitizan Kane!"

(And while we're quoting Wells...)

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

"I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts."

and on Wagner (although I've also heard this quote attributed to Mark Twain): "He has Van Gogh's ear for music."

Morlock- who has a fully functioning very llarge quotes page on his desktop :D;)