The Hobbit, anyone?

NeejaHalycon

When would you like to see The Hobbit?  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• ASAP! Screw King Kong!
    • Never! It'll be Phantom Menace all over again.
    • LOTR was great, but I can wait at least a couple years.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as PJ directs, and Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf.

- Marc

On TV while in London i saw the final minute of an interview with McKellen confirming just that.

There were talks going on between the studio and PJ, and McKellen has already said he would love to do the Hobbit with PJ.

Dear God, JUST LET IT DIE!!!  I seriously can't handle more LOTR craze, I'm just glad it's finally over.

Ray Barnsbury

Yay! I'm not alone!

I seriously can't handle more LOTR craze.

Then this shouldn't be a problem since this is not a LOTR book. ;)

Justin -Who just noticed the book isn't called The Lord of The Rings: The Hobbit of The Shire. :)

And how is it finally over? No more than it began only a couple of years ago. Middle-earth has been around for decades, and I'm confident it'll stay that way for a long while.

Marian - who has the gift of foresight.

Justin -Who just noticed the book isn't called The Lord of The Rings: The Hobbit of The Shire. :)

it is based on the LotR Universe. Close enough

It is not "based" on the LOTR universe, it's a part of Tolkiens mythical history of Middle Earth, but predates LOTR in both it's published year and it's place in the overall histoey.

Please, Tolkien scolars around the world are aghast by your ignorance.....

Well, the current day version of The Hobbit was published after the first LOTR edition...

Marian - who thinks Stefan should read the books he buys at Forbidden Planet's.

it is based on the LotR Universe. Close enough

Well, it won't be over at LEAST until the EE comes out. Then of course we have the full scores, and the symphony, so there are still a few crazy days ahead.

Well, if it is completely necessary, then yes, be done with it. Give no time for nitpickers and chronic complainers to grow too fond of the original saga and hate any new-coming installments. Has all the Star Wars pain been vain?

I read "The Hobbit" many moons ago. When the world was young. When Computers were just a dreeeeamm...and the mountains....ahem. Well it was a long time ago anyway. My age consisted of a single number. That gives you an idea. I've forgotten virtually all of the book now. But i seem to remember that it was so much more intimate and contained, compared to the later LOTR stories. Closer to - "Wind in the Willows", than the later Lord of the Rings trilogy was to "Conan the Barbarian". After the phenomenal variety that viewers have been through in the journey of LOTR, most viewers would find the sudden locality and low keyness of The Hobbit to be disorientating and far too uneventfull i think. If they'd made the Hobbit first, then it would be a natural progression. But going back now, seems like it just wont work. To me, the subject matter of "The Hobbit" is much more suitable for the medium of a TV series, rather than a new Blockbuster movie.

Well, it basically all depends on Jackson. Not only is he the public face of the trilogy, but everyone knows he was the driving force behind the production. He certainly hasn't closed the door on it, which may just be a smart business move. (No one would start a project without Jackson attached.)

There is an element of timing to it all. He might not want to finalizing anything until LOTR is completely finished, EE, and all.

The good news is it probably won't turn into an Indy IV situation. Jackson is the only person that needs to say "I'm ready" for the production to get going.

Its true, I'd love to see a well done Hobbit movie, and it is, a LOT like Wind in the Willows, quaint little story that has great character.

And how is it finally over? No more than it began only a couple of years ago. Middle-earth has been around for decades, and I'm confident it'll stay that way for a long while.

I was referring to the LOTR film craze, I don't have an opinion on the books because I have never read them. It's finally over because the movies are no longer being made, and people won't be talking/raving about them nearly as much.

Ray Barnsbury

.....and it is, a LOT like Wind in the Willows, quaint little story that has great character.

And this is why i think it's not "blockbuster" material (if they were hoping for that). It's quaint, and we just need Ratty sailing down the boat in the river. But the thing is, the majority of Kids (target audience) would miss all the Ork decapitations and tongue drooling action. I feel the best direction for the Hobbit, would be a well made TV series. That way, everyone can take their time and not worry about having to "beef up" the story to appeal to the masses. A bit like the animated "Watership Down". Cosy, warm, and more for relaxed Sunday viewing in a stone cottage in the Welsh mountains, sitting on a soft chair in front of a roaring open fire, and your feet up on a cushion while drinking a cup of Early Grey tea (hot). Erm...ahem. Sorry folks, i dont know where that last bit came from. I just think the Hobbit is beautiful and more suited for the smaller screen (unless audiences would be prepared for the massive reduction in scale that shapes the story ).

I was referring to the LOTR film craze, I don't have an opinion on the books because I have never read them.  It's finally over because the movies are no longer being made, and people won't be talking/raving about them nearly as much.

Acctually the 3rd film isn't even out yet. ROTFLMAO

Don't be hasty! :)

Justin

I was referring to the LOTR film craze, I don't have an opinion on the books because I have never read them.  It's finally over because the movies are no longer being made, and people won't be talking/raving about them nearly as much.

Acctually the 3rd film isn't even out yet. ROTFLMAO

Don't be hasty! :)

Justin

I should've known not to discuss this with LOTR freaks . . . now did someone mention Harry Potter?!?! ROTFLMAO

Ray Barnsbury

Screw King Kong. The 30's original was a great movie.

Make The Hobbit. And after they could even do The Silmarillion. ;)

Morn - Glares at the jealous harry potter fans

Make The Hobbit. And after they could even do The Silmarillion. :mrgreen:

Don't you dare glare at me!

And the remake will be great too. It's PJ's domain, I'm sure the movie will be excellent. And it should fit Shore very well, too. I keep thinking Shelob's Lair. :)

Make The Hobbit.

After Kong.

And after they could even do The Silmarillion. :)

The only way I think it could work is as a TV "documentary" series (read the book, Morn!). I don't see how they could finance that, but I'd love them to do it.

Marian - who asked for Prisoner of Azkaban midnight premiere tickets today.

Let's have a proper go at the Dune novels at last, with Jackson's team of filmakers. :)

When i first saw Fellowship of the Ring. Straight away i felt that the Dune novels could finally come to fruition at last, in the way i think it should be done. The Technology is there now. The audiences are finally prepared to sit through a long story in a film, at the moment . Same situation of a great author with an epic set of books. Every time i went to watch one of the LOTR films, i kept sitting there wishing it was the Dune Novels that had been given the opportunity for this treatment. I'm not exactly a fan of the LOTR movies on the whole. I think parts of them could of been paced much better than they were. But just the scope of the filmaking, kept on making me think about the Dune universe finally on the screen properly someday and being told properly.

I've never seen the mini series mind you. But i'm a long time fan of the novels and Lynch was fairly close, but not quite what was going on in my minds eye. If Jackson wants to do another trilogy, then the first 3 Dune books are excellent material for him. Dune, Dune Messiah, and God Emperor of Dune. Fantastic variety of events, characters, intruige, action, mystical elements, political elements, and so much more. There is a lot of scope for a great representation of the Dune universe at last. I would have to oversee every ounce of the movie, (i'll have to fake some imaginary blood line back to Herbert, to make sure Jackson wont take liberties with the story). It would be a much more interesting project than "King King" for God's sake. The Dune universe is just screaming to be made with the technology of today. It's fun to think about this and dream. I wonder who i would reccomend to score the movie?. Shore again?. Who knows. We'll see. Perhaps Jackson will pick up a Dune book one day and be sufficiently inspired. It's also fun to consider which actors i would suggest for the roles. We'd have to have Patrick Stewart back for Gurney - "NOT IN THE MOOD???". Patrick IS Gurney Halleck. It would be great for him to reprise his role :)

While I'm not to thrilled with remakes I'm kinda pulling for Jackson with Kong, especially after what he did with LOTR. I just hope he has some magic left in him to pull it off.

I think it should at least be better that the 76 disaster.

I've never seen the mini series mind you.

You must see the first SciFi Miniseries. It is truly excellent. Unfortunately, despite being around 5 hours, the entire scope of the book is not covered, but it's very well done. There is a special edition DVD which I have not seen that adds more footage, so you probably want to find that one.

If Jackson wants to do another trilogy, then the first 3 Dune books are excellent material for him. Dune, Dune Messiah, and God Emperor of Dune.

IIRC, the first three books are Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. SciFi did a second miniseries that combined Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, but it wasn't half as good as the first. The only part of that production to surpass the original is Brian Tyler's incredible score.