Rank Spielberg's films

Morlock

16. Minority Report **1/2  

This is a movie that works. I never mind watching it. But I have a lot of problems finding its soul. It's seems so empty, so distant.

Hey, that's exactly what I was thinking while giving it stars in my list. I think I will give you an extra star as well, Ender.

----------------

Alex Cremers

2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence ****

Talk about magic. This shows that pure emotion can be filtered by rational, cold thought, like two singers in a duet. It's still a great and emotive intellectual achievement. And anything with Monica's Theme and Blue Fairy Theme in it needs to be had in consideration.

My words exactly! I'm not alone after all :roll:

Justin, your list is...strange. Your most important norm seems to be...that it has to be funny and fast, meaning 'funny and fast'  is good and 'serious and slow' is boring.  Normally I wouldn't react but I found your list striking.

I placed each film on how much I enjoy watching it. Like I said I don't really enjoy sitting down and watching films like Amistad, Schindler's List, and Empire of the Sun. However movies like Close Encounters, Raiders, Temple, and Minority I find terribly enjoyable movies and get higher marks.

Justin -Who is not going to say anything about Ross's list....AI above Raiders for crying out loud.... :nono:

Justin -Who is not going to say anything about Ross's list....AI above Raiders for crying out loud.... :nono:

Maybe it was alphabetical. :P

Neil

A.I. is not a movie you should see once, and it's most certainly not meant for entertainment. It's an intelligent piece of work and really makes you think. The movie really gets better every time I see it. It's a deep movie, mixed with fantasy and sci-fi. It really ranks up high in my ultimate faves.

A.I. is not a movie you should see once, and it's most certainly not meant for entertainment. It's an intelligent piece of work and really makes you think. The movie really gets better every time I see it. It's a deep movie, mixed with fantasy and sci-fi. It really ranks up high in my ultimate faves.

I love Spielberg but he realy did a bad job with that one. The movie was long boring and pointless, too dramatic and overdone. The lighting hurt my eyes and the story was redundant and useless. Yes Hayle, Law and the actress that played the mom did a good job but they still didn't save the picture. Thank god he countered with my all time fav Spielberg movie Minority Report.

I have seen the movie 3 times in the theatre and once on home video. I despise it.

I watched it this many times trying to figure out how I could dislike a Spielberg film so much. I tried to give it as many chances to prove I was wrong about it, but I can't. The movie is not intelligent, its shallow, its cold, it has no heart, it has acting that ranges from good to horrible(Frances O'Conner is unbelievably bad). It makes me think that Steven Spielberg had lost his touch.

Joe, who likes this thread because it gives me a chance to harp on AI once again after a long slumber.

There is no way in hell I am ranking em all.

I'll give ya his 5 best and worst.

Top 5 (in no order here):

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Saving Private Ryan

Close Encounter of the Third Kind

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Say what you want! This is my pick!)

5 Worst (again in no particular order)

A.I.

Hook

The Lost World

Always

Amistad

This is my list... today (it's always different, though the first ones never change):

1. Empire of the Sun **** (out of 4)

2. Saving Private Ryan ****

3. Schindler's List ****

4. Jaws ****

5. A.I. ****

6. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ****

7. Amistad ****

8. The Color Purple ****

9. The Sugarland Express ****

10. Jurassic Park ****

11. Duel ****

12. Catch Me If You Can ****

13. E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial ****

14. Raiders of the Lost Ark ****

15. Close Encounters of the Third Kind ****

16. Minority Report ****

17. Always ***1/2

18. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom ***1/2

19. The Lost World ***

20. 1941 **1/2

21. Hook **

1.Raiders of the Lost Ark

2.Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3.Jaws

4.Jurassic Park

5.A.I

6.E.T

7.Minority Report

8.Empire of the Sun

9.Amistad

10.Schindler's List

11.Saving Private Ryan

12.Hook

13.Close Encounters of the Third Kind

14.The Lost World

15.Duel

16.Catch Me If You Can

17.Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

18.Always

1. Schindler's List ****

2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ****

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark ****

4. Jaws ****

5. E.T. ****

6. Minority Report ****

7. The Color Purple *** 1/2

8. Close Encounters *** 1/2

9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom *** 1/2

10. Jurassic Park *** 1/2

11. 1941 ***

12. Amistad ***

13. Catch Me if You Can ***

14. The Sugarland Express ** 1/2

15. Hook ** 1/2

16. A.I. ** 1/2

17. Always ** 1/2

18. Saving Private Ryan ** 1/2

19. Empire of the Sun **

20. The Lost World *

Dole- who HATES The Lost World

all you people who put AI ahead of ET, well you're all just fuc#ed in the head.

but there are medical options. :)

I don't think it's a great movie, but everytime I've seen it I liked it a bit more. I still hate everything after Rouge City, but I like the stuff before more and more.

In response to Ender's post from the first page: Why don't you post at spielbergfilms, Ross? We'd love to have you there (and your list was great, passionate and full of well thought).

Justin -Who finds A.I. to be pretty much an insult to Mr. Kubrick. Except the score.

Huh? How? :)

It pleases me to read how some people here hated A.I. because it goes to show how little they understand it. After two years and more than 30 viewings of A.I. it gradually became clear the central underlying message that Spielberg was trying to convey with this film. The fact that the majority of people who watch it don't understand or appreciate it proves what Spielberg is communicating.

And what do you think he is communicating? Come on, your post is like a cliff hanger.

It pleases me to read how some people here hated A.I. because it goes to show how little they understand it. After two years and more than 30 viewings of A.I. it gradually became clear the central underlying message that Spielberg was trying to convey with this film. The fact that the majority of people who watch it don't understand or appreciate it proves what Spielberg is communicating.

psuedo intellectual bullshit post alert. :roll:

what do you call that other than a personal attack? it's one thing to dislike a film, it's another to insult what other people say about it.

and what did your post do?

Joe, whose real tired of the argument that if you don't like a movie you didn't get it. Lame excuse.

psuedo intellectual bullshit post alert.

Yeah, I understand AI! You don't! Is not an arguement but a petty unsupported boast.

I really don't know or care what A.I. was "about," I just really like the film. I enjoy it, and that's all I need. It's not one I care to see often, however. Oh, and also it's not fit to clean the scum off of ET's feet.

Ray Barnsbury

Joe, whose real tired of the argument that if you don't like a movie you didn't get it.  Lame excuse.

But that's often true. I don't call Blade Runner crap because I don't get it. I understand that there's something there I just don't connect with. It doesn't mean it's crap. Same thing with Adaptation- I've seen it 8 times because I sense a certain brilliance about it, which I have yet to understand, I don't call the movie stupid because of that.

And I find a movie is a director's vision, one that may work for some and not for others. To quote yourself about Schindler's List:

This is a very good movie, but its subject gave it an advantage, its critic proof, even if its not totally great, people are afraid to criticize it, or turn a blind eye. Its score isn't even that great.

I find it to be on top there with the greatest movies ever, a perfect movie in which I wouldn't change a single thing. I don't think most people want to critisize it or turn a blind eye. It achieved something no movie before it had achieved. And IMO it's score is great, and many, many people agree with me.

You just don't get it like I do, which in this case may be for obvious reasons, but never the less- I do not agree with calling a film crap because I don't get it. A.I. does have a certain unique quality about it (and, to beat you to it- not one of crappiness), and I can understand how someone would connect with it visceraly.

Of course, I'll still call a film crap, but I just put a big IMO before it, or admit that I don't understand what people saw in shitty, unredeamable garbage like The English Patient. Not that all you are idiots or suckers for falling for it.

Adaptation is a great movie. I certainly got it, heh. Nicolas Cage did a great job too.

I don't really get their Being John Malcovich though. :)

Morn - Who thinks that Schindler's List score is certainly even better than ET!

I loved Being John Malkovich. One of the most original films I've seen. I find it hillarious that alot of people took it too seriously to laugh at the humor in the film. My favorite part is the profile of John Malkovich the pupeteer- Sean Penn's cameo is one of my favorite ever.

Well, it did for me. I was in the perfect mood for the film the first time I saw it. I saw Magnolia in the same week, and loved that too.

A.I.'s first hour is leaning towards Kubrick genius (or otherwise, Kubrick's best efforts), I kid you not. And I don't care if it was Kubrick or Spielberg who wrote that part. I knew it was almost genius from the first time I saw it. That's why I went back the next week to see it again. The whole movie should've had taken place in that apartment. They went out. That is the movie's problem. It's a missed opportunity for Spielberg. After the apartment the whole movie collapses. It's quite unexplainable why the movie abruptly changed direction the way it did.

----------------

Alex Cremers

what do you call that other than a personal attack? it's one thing to dislike a film, it's another to insult what other people say about it.

So after all the posturing and defending, please explain to us poor "laymen" what A.I. is really about.

Neil

In response to Ender's post from the first page: Why don't you post at spielbergfilms, Ross? We'd love to have you there (and your list was great, passionate and full of well thought).

Thank you very much for your offer, Steven. But I'm afraid I'm far too passionate about Spielberg to guarantee civil interchange of opinions about it. And I'm also too passionate to keep my comments short (see that my post was the longest one in this thread, which is why I added the final comment), so in that sense I would dominate the board with huge posts in most threads exposing MY views, and I don't think that's a good thing in a long term.

I do drop by very often and see how things are going. I can't keep too far from your site.

So after all the posturing and defending, please explain to us poor "laymen" what A.I. is really about.

I too want to see diskobolus expose his views on the film, but I also think think that to explain what A.I. is really about, we'd have to go shot by shot throughout the two and a half hours of the movie.

Really, you don't know? It's a sad story. It deals with a robot's arguably true love for its mama. The film, however, took a lot of ballast to carry out its simple mission.

Glad I could help.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Neil, you and I, and Ricard, and Justin, and others who don't like the film are just to stupid to understand it. All of these other genuis' are just superior, we should face the facts that we are incapable of understand what the film is about.

Joe, making cukoo noises. ;)

Well, if you expect a clearly defined movie about good and evil, and where the good guys wear white and the bad guys wear black, then I suspect you'll need to look elsewhere. ;)

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh I never said I didn't like it. I think it's alright. It's ceratinly no masterpiece. It's a very odd film with a lot of strange things going on. It's no Hook or The Lost World.

However, to say something like, "After two years and more than 30 viewings of A.I. it gradually became clear the central underlying message that Spielberg was trying to convey with this film" and then not to back it up is ludicrous. I'd like to hear what "diskobolus" thinks the films underlying meaning really is.

Neil

I'm working on writing a piece that explores those issues. For me this is not something that can be just explained in a post. People can be as cynical as they want about the film and my views, but that doesn't change what the film means to me personally and how significantly it changed my life. You wouldn't be able to explain what love is to someone who's never been in love. Mock even this post if you like but think about what that makes you.

actually disk, I don't mind if anyone likes the film, in fact any Spielberg fan who hasn't seen the film watch it for themselves and decide. Its important that each person decide on their own.

But my right to dislike it is as important to me, as your right to like it is important to you.

I must admit I get quite a thrill out of baiting everyone who likes the film, few here have been able to match my passionate hatred of this film with their passionate liking. Its the reason Chris Chrusher wont even answer my pm's anymore.

the only thing that truely offends me is when someone says its equal to or greater than E.T., that is a challange I cannot resist. Anyone who thinks its as great a film as E.T. is just not right in the head or especially the heart.

Yeah I mean its ridiculous to hate another person for liking/disliking something as trivial as a film. You'd have to be pretty crazy to get that ridiculous.

I realize there are several people on this board who enjoy A.I.. I personally loathe it but I am glad someone can find enjoyment in it.

However, it does amaze me people can really enjoy that ending.

Pretty much everyone I know, even if they liked the film overall HATED that ending.

I really don't know or care what A.I. was "about," I just really like the film.  I enjoy it, and that's all I need.  It's not one I care to see often, however.  Oh, and also it's not fit to clean the scum off of ET's feet.

I don't like his feet.