Good looking Cover of HP III

A24

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minority Report has a great 'non painting' cover. Catch Me If You Can too. :sigh:

Justin - Who thinks the Episode I cover took much more work.

The only thing bad about the TPM O.S.T. cover is the gold Star Wars logo that's used on the toys and other merchandise.They should have used the movie poster logo.

K.M.Who got the AotC Yoda cover but should have gotten the poster art.

Alexcremers, that Star Wars one is the most boring dull CD cover I have ever seen. :P All it has is letters.

Alexcremers, that Star Wars one is the most boring dull CD cover I have ever seen.  All it has is letters

Looks great to me.

No, nostalgia has nothing to do with it. It's just not your daily meat, Morn. I've have a couple of friends working in the graphic design sector. Heck, one of them owns one of the largest private bureaus in town. They wouldn't be caught dead with a cover like TMP in their hands or anything similar in concept. Too average, too typical, and no balls. It simply has no identity, because of its overused style and technique. It looks like any other movie, Morn. A dime in a dozen. I wish you could see that instead of saying "nostalgia". My original Star Wars LP is in pristine condition and it really looks great in that format. Almost a piece of modern art. It's the unique Star Wars typography that makes it simple and yet very distinguished. One can associate with Lucas' saga by only seeing the typography, even at great distances. I'm sure the "MoMA" would gladly except if Lucas were to offer the original artwork to them.

----------------

Alex cremers

It's boring and utterly bland. TPM has a nice picture. It actually looks good. Maybe not as distinctive, but that hardly matters compared to something utterly bland.

They wouldn't be caught dead with a cover like TMP in their hands

Alex, can I assume you meant TPM (The Phantom Menace) and not "TMP" (The Motion Picture).

phantom.jpg

vs.

vb67_startrektmp_poster.jpg

No contest.

Neil - who wants a Star Wars DVD cover that just has the title, like the LP

P.S. That Bob Peak Star Trek - The Motion Picture poster is just stunning. The best movie poster ever!

The faces I don't like so much in the ST TMP poster. Especially the one in the middle is not so good. But I guess Kirk and Spock had to be in it, commercially wise. That's the thing with movie posters. The artists are far from free to do what they want. There are always requirements set by some producer that have to be fulfilled. Some posters were very unique and special in the fact that they seemed to have escaped their obligations as movie posters. Remember Alien anyone? Now that is a brilliant poster, if ever there was one. No monster, no captain, no crew, no ship, no nothing. Only, "What the hell is this about?" It's a classic and deservedly so.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Wow, I've never seen that RotK poster before.

Ah, I remember the time when it was announced they would be making The Lord of the Rings trilogy movies. Can't say I cared too much, I was roughly nine or ten at the time. But I saw the teaser YEARS ago and was freaked out by the Nazgul (it was the scene where it sniffs the Hobbits out under the tree). Then I saw Fellowship when I was 13 and I loved it. The End.

just look at my avatar, its a better poster than either of those bored, I mean Lord of the Rings posters.

This are great ones too:

SWAREPR.JPG

I don't rememeber, but didn't Lionheart blatantly rip this off?

For me, something about the Naked Lunch poster does it for me. And I've never seen the movie.

The LotR poster is very good IMO,but i had to get one only to put on a wall,so i picked the Mount Doom one from RotK

791707.jpg

This one is nice, has a good focus, rest are too jumbled to be that good really. Jaws is good but a bit too simple.

Most brilliant ideas are simple, most brilliant designs are simple. Complexity is not a norm in design. Ideas are! Your example of what is good is hardly a concept. I can make 100.000 posters like that in one day. All I need is a 35mm film of LOTR.

Let me put it in another way. If I take a photo of something that is complex and detailed, does it mean I made a good photo?

Here's another one. Is the shark motif in Jaws a bad composition because it uses not more than 2 notes?

It's simple, I can play it on my piano with my elbows, but the idea is brilliant.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That may well be so, sometimes that works. But I like that ROTK, it has a focus and plenty of detail. It's a simple idea just with a nice full picture. After all you can have the Jaws theme played on piano, or fully orchestrated.

But it's nothing special. It's not a fine example of brilliant poster designing. It will never earn a place in a poster book, if you know what I mean. But let's face it, Pete Jackson himself isn't exactly a fine example of good taste either. :(