Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score

Lurker

What is Your Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Ewok Adventure (Peter Bernstein)
    • Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (Peter Bernstein)
    • Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)
    • The Phantom Menace (John Williams)
    • Attack of the Clones (John Williams)

Just for the record, I think LXG is worse than AoTC. One of the most forgettable movies I've seen, with nothing good in it.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record, I think LXG is worse than AoTC. One of the most forgettable movies I've seen, with nothing good in it.

As opposed to.... :?

Justin

I went back and read Neil's article on The Imperial March. Great article, but I slightly disagree with just this one point. I think that there could be a GREAT place for it in Star Wars; The unscored "force-choking" Admiral Motti scene. IMO, that would be a nice place to drop a little creepy rendition of Vader's theme to let us know who's there and what he's capable of when his chain is unleashed.

Re-watch that scene again, listen to the bass effect as Vader chokes Motti. That works much better than a shoe-horned rendition of the Imperial march.

Jeff

Yes, I'd like to see a film he made preserved and presented properly.  He's not doing that.  He's just marketing and re-doing his shit so that the masses keep buying his garbage and I'm f**king tired of this nonsense.  It doesn't help that the shit he's making and releasing in theaters now is such trash.  The man has lost his touch with good filmmaking.  He lost it in 1983.  It's not a recent trend.

Sure, don't believe me and continue to enjoy his crap fests and buying into his "vision" (want Lucas' vision?  Here it is, spelled out for you $$$), but I'm tired of this shit.  Don't believe his lies!  This isn't about presenting his films as he always inteneded, it's about getting suckers to keep buying the same junk over and over.  Thank you, but I have better things to do with my money.  And the one thing that I truly love of his, he ignores.

I agree with you, but Lucas is a lazy filmmaker and a businessman, not some villain like you are making him out to be. Wake up, do you think Lucas is the only guy in showbusiness out to make a buck? I have news for you, Neil... George Lucas created the Star Wars stories and characters and, rightfully so, he has to right to do whatever the hell he wants to do with his franchise. I disagree with what Lucas has done with, as I'm sure most of us do, but it's his movies not ours. If you don't want to see them, don't. If you don't want to buy them on DVD, don't. Who cares what the hell Lucas does, we will always have the Original Trilogy untouched and the way we remember it on VHS, LD and home-made DVDs... if there are people out there willing to buy re-hashed garbage, thats their problem not yours. Is Lucas knocking at your door, asking for money? Trying to sell you the special edition DVDs? No? Then, who cares? There's WAY too many good films out there to obsess about his six little movies.

And look what you are comparing Lucas' movies to.  Bottom feeding low life summer shlock.  It used to be you could compare his movies to the finest films that came out, (both American Grafitti and Star Wars were Best Picture nominees) so I don't think your defense of the prequels is working quite right.

I didn't compare Lucas' movies to summer shlock, what I said was that it offered vastly more than most summer movies. That was not a comparison. I compare it to X-Men, Harry Potter, etc. In other words, solid summer popcorn movies. And don't give me the Academy Awards argument... people on these message boards bash the Academy Awards left and right, but then will be so quick to use Oscar nominations/wins as a defense to an argument. So let me do the same (use an arbitrary system like the Oscars to make a point), aside from the whopping exception that is LOTR, name a scifi movie sequel that scored Oscar noms in major categories. Star Wars still gets nominated in the technical categories, and they tend to give those nominations to the better and more popular summer/scifi flicks (Spider-man, Matrix, LOTR, etc.).

My "defence" wasn't that the prequels are great films or anything of the kind. You say they are crap-fests and trash... I say they are mediocre films by a mediocre filmmaker, but they have enjoyable moments and give us new John Williams Star Wars scores if nothing else. And given my love of the OT and that I got over the fact that the prequels never did stand a chance at living up to the originals, I enjoy them on a very basic level. As do a lot of other people, including children, which is who they are aimed at anyway.

As for LXG, you apparently aren't familiar with the original graphic novel or any of those literary characters that were desecrated and pissed on for the sake of that messy CGI cartoon.

I didn't compare Lucas' movies to summer shlock

Then what did you mean when you said, "but what about the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it... I'll take Star Wars over any of them." Is that not a comparison?

what I said was that it offered vastly more than most summer movies.

Oh, so you were comparing them.

That was not a comparison.

Now I'm really confused.

I compare it to X-Men, Harry Potter, etc.  In other words, solid summer popcorn movies.

That is not what you said before. You never mentioned those films. Yes, all of the X-Men and Harry Potter films are better than Attack of the Clones, though.

And don't give me the Academy Awards argument... people on these message boards bash the Academy Awards left and right, but then will be so quick to use Oscar nominations/wins as a defense to an argument.

The point I was trying to make is that Star Wars is a very highly regarded film, that can be compared to some of the finest films ever made. It was also on the very first list of 25 films preserved by National Film Registry. It's a complete and total classic. Are you going to deny that? Star Wars is better than most films. It is far better than any of the nonsense coming out anymore and to comapre it "the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it..." would just be insulting, yet that is what you did to try to make Attack of the Clones look good. Oh, and in reading that again, I remember liking The Scorpion King.

My "defence" wasn't that the prequels are great films or anything of the kind.  You say they are crap-fests and trash...

They are an embarassment to the name Star Wars.

I say they are mediocre films by a mediocre filmmaker, but they have enjoyable moments

Yeah, mostly found in the end titles.

give us new John Williams Star Wars scores if nothing else.

And those same new scores are slaughtered in the movie, and since I'm a John Williams fan and not a Star Wars fan it makes me hate the movies even more.

And given my love of the OT and that I got over the fact that the prequels never did stand a chance at living up to the originals

Hey, they are as "good" as Return of the Jedi.

I enjoy them on a very basic level.  As do a lot of other people, including children, which is who they are aimed at anyway.

Oh wait, kids like it? They must be good! Just remember Star Wars was a film that was loved by all age groups, young and old, it didn't matter. It was a genuine crowd pleaser.

As for LXG, you apparently aren't familiar with the original graphic novel or any of those literary characters that were desecrated and pissed on for the sake of that messy CGI cartoon.

I didn't realize that was necessary to enjoy a movie. And don't let me mislead you, I saw it once and that was enough. I was entertained for 2 hours and didn't want to hit anybody, as opposed to say Van Helsing which was the polar opposite. Of course I haven't read Dracula or Frankenstein either. Do you think that would help?

Neil

Then what did you mean when you said, "but what about the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it... I'll take Star Wars over any of them."  Is that not a comparison?

Oh, so you were comparing them.

Now I'm really confused

That is not what you said before.  You never mentioned those films.  Yes, all of the X-Men and Harry Potter films are better than Attack of the Clones, though.

I misused the word "compare". Forgive me. These are all genre films... all FX/scifi films. Yes, I am comparing Star Wars prequels to the original Star Wars movies to Van Helsing to 2001 to LXG to E.T. to Battle Beyond the Stars etc. etc. etc. etc. What else should I compare the prequels to? Lost In Translation? Mystic River? Love Actually? Bowling for Columbine? Come on, Neil. I'm comparing all other FX movies. Anything else would be Apples and Oranges. The original Star Wars and Casablanca are both classic films, but would you really compare the two together? You can't. Would you compare Annie Hall to Star Wars (both up for the Oscar that year)? You can't. So don't tell me I'm comparing the prequels to summer shlock, I'm comparing them to FX films in general and more specifically contemporary FX films (which do happen to be mostly shlock, unfortunately). I liked Gosford Park much better than AOTC, but is that really relevant here?

I feel the prequels offer vastly more than a good number of these genre films like Van Helsing, LXG, Incredible Hulk etc. but definitely fall WAY short of the Star Wars OT, LOTR, 2001, Metropolis etc etc. In other words, I place them somewhere in the middle in terms of quality. They are mediocre to me, I wish I didn't have to say this about a Star Wars film but George Lucas made this possible. I cringe at parts, and there are other parts I genuinely like. But ultimately, I dismiss these films. You, however, hate them for many reasons aside from the movies themselves. You are incapable of viewing them out of the context of the OT and you are incapable of viewing them and not thinking of Lucas. I'm sorry, the prequels are just not the worst movies ever made, not even close. But you act as if they are, when in fact I think its more that you feel personally betrayed by Lucas. Many of your comments imply this.

...and to comapre it "the Matrices, LXG, Van Helsing, countless comic book adaptations, any movie with The Rock in it..." would just be insulting, yet that is what you did to try to make Attack of the Clones look good.  Oh, and in reading that again, I remember liking The Scorpion King.

My point was that you are overly critical of the prequels, not that the prequels are great or good films. How many times have I said this now?

You went into Scorpion King and LXG with no emotional attachments to previous entries in the franchise and no idea what to expect. In other words, no bias. Just because the movie didn't mean anything to you or didn't enrage you doesn't automatically make it better. If LXG was a Star Wars prequel (I don't mean literally, I mean the overall production values of the film), then you would have hated it. But since it was neither a prequel or a sequel to something else, it meant nothing to you. Do you see the difference?

My "defence" wasn't that the prequels are great films or anything of the kind.  You say they are crap-fests and trash...

They are an embarassment to the name Star Wars.

Just because a film doesn't meet standards doesn't necessarily make it trash.

give us new John Williams Star Wars scores if nothing else.

And those same new scores are slaughtered in the movie, and since I'm a John Williams fan and not a Star Wars fan it makes me hate the movies even more.

I don't like it anymore than you do, but the fact of the matter is I don't go to the movies to listen to music. A butchered score, even though I do hate what that happens, isn't going to determine whether or not I like a movie. Williams himself would probably say the same thing, watch the movie don't listen to the music. Thats what the soundtrack is for.

Just remember Star Wars was a film that was loved by all age groups, young and old, it didn't matter.  It was a genuine crowd pleaser.

Just remember that films that appeal to all age groups and universally loved are quite uncommon and when it does happen its more luck than skill.

I didn't realize that was necessary to enjoy a movie. And don't let me mislead you, I saw it once and that was enough.

Of course it's not necessary, but I've known my whole life that Mr Hyde and the Incredible Hulk are not the same character. This movie would have you believe otherwise. I can't help it that I've read most of the original novels featuring these characters. I hate when things are dumbed down. I also knew that Tom Sawyer was NOT in the graphic novel of LXG, he was thrown in just to give U.S. audiences an American character. Throw in the fact that the LXG characters became caricatures, it was just one big sloppy film with hyper-edited action and shoddy shadow-hidden CGI and its a recipe for a terrible film.

Well neil, it is funny how purists find explanation for the misusage of themes in the OT, but debate endlessly when we new breed Sw fan try to explain the finale of AOC (wich it still dont think it is 100% propper but neither 100% impropper).

Just the difference is that Lucas suggested the AOC one and the others are supposedly deliberatedly done by Williams. But they really do need an explanation? They work well in the scenes and that is just what happens.

For example the explanation of yoda's theme in Bespin is too much twisted. There can be thousands of explanation like that one in that scene.

And Neil, you already know my opinion about the Imperial march, and you never convince me about his just Vader's theme.... becasue as you, i also have my own reasons and explanations.

I went back and read Neil's article on The Imperial March. Great article, but I slightly disagree with just this one point. I think that there could be a GREAT place for it in Star Wars; The unscored "force-choking" Admiral Motti scene. IMO, that would be a nice place to drop a little creepy rendition of Vader's theme to let us know who's there and what he's capable of when his chain is unleashed. I do NOT think that ANY scene that has previously scored music should be altered in any way.

I was thinking a strong rendition of Vader's theme as he first appears out of the smoke and debris on the Tantive IV, a la the music that underscores "I am your father" (well, the footage following it). That is all.

Morlock: I'm agreeing with you, but maybe taking it a step further. Most summer action flicks, comic book adaptations and sci-fi thrillers suck compared to the Prequels. I don't love them like the SW:OT, but I like them alot.

Neil: Although many of you know that I'm not into all this Potter craziness, I was a HUGE comic book fan in my teenage years. I collected thousands. I LOVED Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Batman, and all the above. That being said, I didn't care for the X-Men movie (so much that I haven't seen the sequel yet), and thought that the Spiderman film was just as disappointing. I didn't even bother with Hulk because it looks like it sucks and so many have told me that it does. This being said, I'll take TPM and AOTC over all of those films other than the only three comic book movies that I love; Superman 1 & 2 and the 1st Batman. Those are brilliant, and the rest are just flat out terrible, IMO.

Cerrabore: I was thinking the same thing about that initial scene showing Vader. But I do like the music that goes there, hence my resistance of it.

MaestroJW: I know, I've seen the OT a million times and I'm quite familiar with the bass effect. I agree, it works wonders... but I do believe that Williams, in all his genius, could cook up a VERY fitting rendition of Vaders theme, if maybe even only a few seconds long... to use and enhance that scene while adding Vader's menacing persona thematically to the mix of the film. There are probably other unscored parts that could have similar treatments as well, but that one pops into my mind in this discussion.

Luke: Yes, Vader's theme does have a secondary use, which is "The Imperial March." Similar to what used to be known as "Ben's Theme," according to Williams' own words in the Star Wars dual-LP liner notes, it's now more well known as "The Force Theme." However, it is first and foremost Vader's theme, and I also feel that it should be used for Vader's Imperial troops. Consider it's use when the AT-AT led by General Veers destroys the Hoth Generator, and when Vader himself leads the Snowtroopers into the Rebel base. That's why I don't like it's use in AOTC. Vader, at that point, is still a Jedi fighting for the good guys. It shouldn't have been relvealed until he turned to the dark side and the troops were put under his control. Although many non-Williams fans LOVED it (which is why I feel that Lucass demanded the change, an odd sellout there considering his hard-nosed stance on releasing the OT on DVD), it should have been saved until that crucial moment in Episode 3. When I first heard the score before the film's release, I imagined Anakin's Wedding not being secret, and the Clonetroopers in attendance ala the Throne Room in SW:ANH. THAT would have worked better because it's twisted on so many levels and at least Anakin AND the troops would have been in the scene. It was wasted in AOTC's finale. It just served the purpose of getting the fans all riled up. It did that in the theatre I saw it at. I would have LOVED to hear what Williams had in mind. I'm sure we will one day, but who knows if it's a year away or twenty. :)

I'll say it again. The worst things about the prequels is the poor editing that goes all the way down through timing and music editing. I still liked them quite a bit, I just feel that they could had been a hell of alot better if Lucas wasn't the only one involved with the directing (and whoever the freakin' editor(s) was/were... that/those fool(s) deserved to be shot)! The two films suffer from a lack of flow and musical continuity, which are the only big flaws I can find with them. Cheesy dialogue and debatable acting can be compared to parts of the OT as well, but everything else worked so well on them.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've seen the below 4-star rating scores in several television and satellite programming guides. I'd more or less agree completely with these ratings:

Star Wars (ANH): ****

Empire Strikes Back: ****

Return of the Jedi: ***1/2

The Phantom Menace: ***

Attack Of The Clones: ***

Well, luckily for you they're making one more Star Wars film. But given your preference, I fear that after 2005 your movie watching days are over, Chris. No way AOTC is better than X-Men. You're are really a Star Wars nut over a movie nut.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Chris you need to see X-2, its so much better than the first X-Men.

I thought it was almost as good. I still wanna see the third one. As a matter of fact, of all modern big action packed blockbuster popcorn rides, I like the X-Men films best.

I think the 2nd Spiderman film this summer will be very good. I think it will be more serious than the first one judging by the looks of it.

I thought X2 was a big improvement. The first one was not at all bad, it just IMO was lacking very many good things.

Yes, many people have told me X2 was better. I'll watch that, and maybe Hulk, if only to see if it's as bad as everybody says it is.

One thing I noticed about X-Men and Spiderman is nothing standing out with their scores. Especially disappointing with Elfman's Spiderman because I LOVE Batman's score. I've listened to it a TON in the last 3-4 months and even got the DVD to extract the music. It's one of my all-time faves.

Well, luckily for you they're making one more Star Wars film. But given your preference, I fear that after 2005 your movie watching days are over, Chris. No way AOTC is better than X-Men. You're are really a Star Wars nut over a movie nut.

Like I said, I was a huge fan of X-Men, Spider-Man and a huge fan of Star Wars. X-Men (the 1st one) and Spiderman disappointed, annoyed, and somewhat bored me, while I enjoyed TPM quite a bit. AOTC disappointed me much more than TPM, but even so, I'd still take AOTC over X-Men and Spider-Man. Even if it's just for the score (as mangled as it was, it's still a decent Williams score that I listen to on a fairly regular basis). I'm still yet to see X-2. Keep in mind that in my high school years (late 80's-early 90's), I collected Spider-Man and X-Men comics 1-2 on my list and Stan Lee was hyping and buidling both of those films up for over a decade. Neither of them delivered, IMO. The disappointing Prequels delivered FAR more for me than those comic book movies did.

I defend the 'Prequels' for the same reasons that MaestroJW just gave; Because although they are disappointing, they aren't nearly as bad as everyone says and I think some people are just spiteful against Lucas for somehow 'betraying' them with the SE's and disappointing them with the Prequels. Lucas betrayed me in only one manner; by cutting up Williams music. That's infringing on Williams genius. Anything else he does is his own right because Star Wars is his creation, his universe, his movies to do with what he pleases. Be happy with the OT that you have on VHS/LD/DVD-Rs, and buy or pass on the DVDs when they come out. I'll be buying them. And watching them more than the originals.

Also, I think I've said this before, but it's odd that I'm a film score collector, because I'm not a big movie nut. Most movies and the people making and starring in them piss me off to tell you the truth, LOL!

Hulk

It does have the best action sequences of any comic book movie, a nice slow pace, but intense and cool, fighting newest US military hardware.

OH... I forgot one!

Although Affleck has the acting skills of a rock and the score was non-existant, I thought Daredevil was 'ok.' Jennifer Garnes is nice to look at too. :)

Then again, I hate the Matrix-ish camera work and otherworldly martial arts and acrobatics. That crap just ruins movies.

I will see Hulk... someday. It's not on HBO/Cinemax is it? I don't get Showtime or Starz and I don't rent. And I only buy if it's something I really love or it has a Williams score.

I thought X2 was a big improvement. The first one  was not at all bad, it just IMO was lacking very many good things.

That's Ebert talking again, Morlock. (you should stop relying on his verdict). I know the ending was an anti-climax, but nevertheless, I just ran a check and most other reviewers are very positive about X-Men. But nevermind what critics say, the movie consisted of many good things and unfortunately a disappointing ending.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That's Ebert talking again, Morlock. (you should stop relying on his verdict).

Absolutely. Why would you go for Ebert when you have Almighty Alex right here?

TPM by far, because of Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Theme, The Droid March, The Federation March, The Flag Parade, Jar Jar's Introduction and the Swim to Otah Gunga, Anakin's Victory, Over the Edge and The Audience with Boss Nass.

That's Ebert talking again, Morlock. (you should stop relying on his verdict). I know the ending was an anti-climax, but nevertheless, I just ran a check and most other reviewers are very positive about X-Men. But nevermind what critics say, the movie consisted of many good things and unfortunately a disappointing ending.

No it's not, it's me talking. He just happens to agree with me.

I thought it was almost as good. I still wanna see the third one. As a matter of fact, of all modern big action packed blockbuster popcorn rides, I like the X-Men films best.

That's because of Brian Singer, the director, and his team. In contrast to the others, he's a creative director, not a Hollywood one.

Wasn't there a rumor that X-Men 2 and 3 were going to shoot back to back?

And what does this have to do with a post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars score?

Neil

On the subject, I've been listening to Shadows of The Empire again, and I really don't remember what I saw in it. It's nothing great, no outstanding tracks. Just a fine video game score.

On the subject, I've been listening to Shadows of The Empire again, and I really don't remember what I saw in it. It's nothing great, no outstanding tracks. Just a fine video game score.

It wasn't written for the video game, but it was used in it, just like Williams' Empire score was used in it.

Neil

It's written with the book in mind. And of course it isn't great. Only a few of them are.

But it makes a nice listen.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I know that I'm bringing this up way too late, but I think some consideration should be given to Jeremy Soule's superb Knights of the Old Republic. It's easily the best non-Williams music in the SW universe. I wouldn't vote for it, but if the Ewok travesties and a mediocre score based on a book are involved, this should be too.

I voted for TPM, by the way.

I wouldn't vote for it, but if the Ewok travesties and a mediocre score based on a book are involved, this should be too.

Was an album released?

Neil

It wasn't written for the video game, but it was used in it, just like Williams' Empire score was used in it.

Neil

I did not know that.

I wouldn't vote for it, but if the Ewok travesties and a mediocre score based on a book are involved, this should be too.

Was an album released?

Neil

I honestly don't know one way or the other. I know a website that you can download rips from the game.

But the title of the poll is favorite post-ROTJ score, not album. So I didn't realize an offical CD release was a prerequisite.

I know that I'm bringing this up way too late, but I think some consideration should be given to Jeremy Soule's superb Knights of the Old Republic. It's easily the best non-Williams music in the SW universe.

It certainly is nice, but it seems like whenever the game is calling for a fast-paced, dramatic cue, Soule delivers some more ambient music. There are a few wonderful moments though, most of which involve the Force theme, and most of which occur during cut-scenes, which sound like they're being played through a telephone.

I did not know that.

Now that you're less biased (we all know what you think about videogames), may I suggest that you listen to it again so you could form an honest opinion, and hopefully an opinion that's your own and free from prejudice. Then if you still think it's a "fine video score", fine. At least we'll know you gave us a fair judgement.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Something tells me the Episode III score will be really great though. I believe Johnny will make up for the lacklauster 2nd Prequel score.

He even will have time to score the pbattle in AOC... :D

Really, i like some parts of KOTOR, but being it synth, it makes it drop in the list. SOTE is better anyway. I read the composer of the second part of KOTOR is going to be other... maybe this time they'll hire a real orchestra like in other games of their own...

Now that you're less biased (we all know what you think about videogames), may I suggest that you listen to it again so you could form an honest opinion, and hopefully an opinion that's your own and free from prejudice. Then if you still think it's a "fine video score", fine. At least we'll know you gave us a fair judgement.

And What do we all know about what I think of video games?

And I did again today, as I said, I almost always give scores a second chance. Now it just sounds like a fine score, nothing remarkable, no particulaly good tracks.

I am still wondering what goofy name Lucas will cook up for Episode III. We should know the final name in a matter of a few months.

• 1 month later...