Yared's Troy Excerpts On-Line

Erik Woods

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it's old-fashioned and I like it. I would've used it if I was the director.

At least, I feel this is worth defending against the doubts of the producers.

So they replaced Yared's wailing female vocals for Horner's wailing female vocals? That makes a lot of sense. :roll:

Neil

Has anyone heard "A Prince's Welcome" yet?  Wow!!  There is nothing like that in Horner's score.

Neil

OK, but that's as Hornery he will get. Petersen probably steered him in that direction.

Has anyone heard "A Prince's Welcome" yet?  Wow!!  There is nothing like that in Horner's score.

Neil

OK, but that's as Hornery he will get. Petersen probably steered him in that direction.

Obviously you think I was being sarcastic. I wasn't. I listened to all of Yared's clips and bought Horner's score and have listened to that too. Yared's is superior.

Neil

Sounds as though this music deserves a better movie. Too bad a CD release is unlikely...Yared on this grand a scale doesn't happen often. If I were to assume these "extracts" were representative of the full score, I might well say that this is easily one of the best scores written this millennium.

This really is excellent stuff.

Peterson you fool. That's two excellent scores you've regected. :happybday:

Justin

Listen to the 'End Credit Song'... if I were to pretend iTunes and the like weren't around, I'd buy the album just for it. Josh Groban, eat your heart out.

And, folks, Yared knows how to write action music. This isn't Portman/Delerue pseudo-action music...this is full-blooded, frenetic yet coherent stuff.

This really is excellent stuff.

Peterson you fool. That's two excellent scores you've regected. :|

Was it actually Petersen's say? Perhaps it was, but I was under the impression that the producers at least exerted enormous pressure (thanks to the infamous test screening).

Grrr....I want to download!

Any way I can link to the files directly from the silly, poncy flash site.

Was it actually Petersen's say?  Perhaps it was, but I was under the impression that the producers at least exerted enormous pressure (thanks to the infamous test screening).

Whoever it was, he's a jerk.

-Ross, who blames the audience.

After all that work and an apparently good relationship with the director Yared was told over the phone that his score was rejected. The music he wrote for Troy is too artistic for the movie or for the audience, or so the producers think. What does that tell you? It tells me that the ruling climate in Hollywood is precisely what worries me for the future of cinema.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Those clips are [insert adjective of high praise here]. I would certainly purchase a release of this score if one ever sees the light. I haven't heard Horner's score, but after hearing Yared's, I seriously doubt he'll even come close.

Between last year and this year so far, too many missed grand score opportunities.

~~Harry

Those clips are [insert adjective of high praise here].  I would certainly purchase a release of this score if one ever sees the light.  I haven't heard Horner's score, but after hearing Yared's, I seriously doubt he'll even come close.

Between last year and this year so far, too many missed grand score opportunities.

~~Harry

Nice to see you around again, Harry.

:D WOW!!! This score sounds so refreshing. I can't believe those Hollywood idiots rejected this! If it'll ever be released I'll be buying it the first day it comes out!

Audax - Who has never listened to a Yared score before ;)

I WANT THIS SCORE!!!!!

Anyone got a couple hundred thousand dollars and we'll release it ourselves... No way is Jamie's score going to be nearly this good...

BK: :D Hector and Achilles fight, by Gabriel Yared

Well if this is what he thinks is his best score, I wouldn't want to hear what he thinks is his worst. It's a servicable score, a good style for a period movie, but not great music.

I just got back from seeing this movie and I gotta agree with the consensus out there. HORNER"S SCORE FOR THIS MOVIE SUCKED! It is flat out abysmal.

I cannot believe they changed this score for Horner's.

Or should I say I wouldn't have believe it before I saw all the other horrible changes they made to this movie.

Horner's score is more on the same level as Troy. Yared's score was a lot better than the movie. See here the reason why it has been ditched.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex I wish I had listened to you before seeing this.

The movie was disapointing.

The action sequences were good, but the movie as a whole was quite lacking.

But aren't you glad you experienced it and decided for yorself, rather than letting someone else convince you one way or the other?

Ray Barnsbury

But aren't you glad you experienced it and decided for yorself, rather than letting someone else convince you one way or the other?

Ray Barnsbury

NO!

Not in the bloody slightest!

If that had happened I would still have my 8.50.

Well ...... OK ...... I digress.

Overall I guess it was worth the money, but ONLY for the action sequences. The rest of the movie was decent, but nothing special. The ending was friggin horrible.

Honestly I wish I had caught it at a matinee. That would've been about worth it.

Ahhhh well, at least it wasn't a total loss. The Brad Pitt/Eric Bana fight was very cool.

Ray Barnsbury

One day, Ray, you might develop those instincts too and the sooner you open your mind, the sooner you'll be tasting its fruits. In the meanwhile: Enjoy the ride!

----------------

Alex Cremers

It would be a crime if this score is never released.

I agree... and it was a crime they´ve rejected this marvelous score!!!!! :music:

The action cues, the quiet moments, the chorus... all are great!!!! :)

I finally got around to listening Yared's version. The music is far better than Horner's contribution (although I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since he didn't have much time to cobble together two hours of stuff). I disagree about the "old fashioned" stuff. What's that supposed to mean, anyway? It's a period film, taking place in 1193 BC, and Yared's music dates the film? Have audience members been so dumbed down that they only want to hear <i>Gladiator</i> style music?

It's killing me- every time I listen to 'Approach of The Greeks' I'm like "I can't wait to see that in the movie!" then I realize I probably never will. :music:

But there's been so much talk over how amazing the rejected score is, that I've heard rumers from all kinds of sources that the producers are thinking seriously about releasing the score AND having it on the DVD, something like the whole deal with Legend.

I've heard rumers from all kinds of sources that the producers are thinking seriously about releasing the score AND having it on the DVD, something like the whole deal with Legend.

Goldsmith's score to Legend was not entirely rejected, only in the US. Yared's score will probably not be heard anywhere in the world with the film anymore.

Neil

I know, I meant just that they'd have two scores for the same movie. I heard that they're already talking about having a 3 DVD set for it, 2 for the movie (It'll be split in half), including 2 scores and 2 commenteries. And one DVD for special features.

So preview audiences found Yared unfinished monitor mix score outdated. Could it be just the sound of the low quality monitor mix?

Here's a clean copy of Yared's statement http://www.dertrojanischekrieg.de/statement.html

Score rejections because of preview audiences first impressions are idiotic anyway. So, what's the solution? Hire a last minute composer that will do a job in like two weeks, put the new score in and send it out to theaters without another preview? Was Horner subject to the same preview audience judgement? Were both scores judged side by side before deciding which one works better? Could it be that the same audience that didn't like Yared's score would have said that Horner's actually sucked, and they preferred Yared's version instead?

I haven't found anything as beautiful as Yared's End credits song in Horner, nor the gloriousness of Yared's action and triumphant themes. Horner's score is average, Yared's is exceptional.

They probably brought in a test audience expecting a big summer popcorn films. What they heard for a score, was a great one, but hey, it wasn't done by one of the Media Ventures minions, so apparently, it had to go.

Gits.

- Marc, who cares less and less for this film.

No, for Troy. Pay attention, man.

Oh, sorry for that...Troy...Legend...whatever...they both suck.

And probably sucked even more with their replaced scores too.

So preview audiences found Yared unfinished monitor mix score outdated. Could it be just the sound of the low quality monitor mix?

Here's a clean copy of Yared's statement http://www.dertrojanischekrieg.de/statement.html

Score rejections because of preview audiences first impressions are idiotic anyway. So, what's the solution? Hire a last minute composer that will do a job in like two weeks, put the new score in and send it out to theaters without another preview? Was Horner subject to the same preview audience judgement? Were both scores judged side by side before deciding which one works better? Could it be that the same audience that didn't like Yared's score would have said that Horner's actually sucked, and they preferred Yared's version instead?

I haven't found anything as beautiful as Yared's End credits song in Horner, nor the gloriousness of Yared's action and triumphant themes. Horner's score is average, Yared's is exceptional.

Exactly. They didn't test Horner's score!

It's killing me- every time I listen to 'Approach of The Greeks' I'm like "I can't wait to see that in the movie!" then I realize I probably never will

This track is awsome. It has undercurrents of "Mars the bringer of war" from the Holst suite. Very appropriate considering the setting.