Poll regarding Episode 3 music

Trumpeteer

This was a poll on the Star Wars Web site a few weeks back.

The results make me shudder.

Star Wars poll

I wonder if Lucas will take this poll, give it to Williams, and say "That's what Ithe people want. Let's give it to them."

Jeff -- shuddering still

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are pretty dumb selections. Where is "smooth jazz"?

If Williams really was unable to score this movie, I think they should just use his existing scores and cut them up and track them throughout this movie. They've had great luck with that technique in the past.

Neil

Meh! All they are asking is a hypothetical. They say if JW DIDN'T SCORE it then which music genre would best fit.

Its not asking people if they actually want the SW films scored like this.

I saw that poll. I didn't vote in it. I don't have time to answer dumb-ass questions like this. If only they'd included the option "film music by another talented composer" but noooo... Morons.

- Marc, :roll:

I would agree, it is a dumb question. What are they going to ask next, do you think E3 should be a romantic comedy??? They really have too much time on their hands...I wonder how many of the people that voted in that poll actually know who JW is?

Flabbergasting.

And it's not even a poll on a fan board but an "official" poll!

Asking "what other film composer would you have liked to score Star Wars" is a valid question, but this?! Such choices?! What were they thinking? Were they drunk when they conducted that poll?

So those who answered would have liked techno? Maybe they would also like Anakin and Padme to attend a Reloaded rave scene and visit a Revolutions S&M-like club, dressed in "Catwoman" suits. Well :angry: to them. :):P :P

What a load of bollocks. This poll seems to be catering for the idiots who think that John Williams writes the score for every single movie in existence.

This poll seems to be catering for the idiots who think that John Williams writes the score for every single movie in existence.

:wave: He doesn't???? ROTFLMAO

Neil

Do they remember the music for the Flash Gordon remake in 1980, with Queen? Oh, yeah, let's do that to Star Wars and HP, too... :cry:

Do they remember the music for the Flash Gordon remake in 1980, with Queen?

Howard Blake did the orchestral score for that while Queen provided some songs. I think it was very successful in the film.

Neil

The first time I saw Flash Gordon it was in theatre and I thought it was all one bad joke. The second time I kinda enjoyed it.

They are Speaking of SW in general not epIII. Anyway, since they do not have the option Classical music, well i think sacking Williams is not an option... Stupid question though (i cannot believe that came from the offical site :wave: )

Stefan, you reference to Enemy at the Gates is just coincidence or are you making fun of Horner, who used Shindler's List theme in it :( ?

Stefan, you reference to Enemy at the Gates is just coincidence or are you making fun of Horner, who used Shindler's List theme in it ;) ?

John Williams writes everything, Luke.

Neil

I'm sure the vast majority of visitors to StarWars.com are relatively normal people who do not truly comprehend the greatness of John Williams. They probably refer to the Main Theme as "that song in the beginning," and thought the Imperial March at the end AOTC was "really cool."

Btw, NP: The American President (John Williams)

...and thought the Imperial March at the end AOTC was "really cool."

Well, it was.

It's only merit it that it gives me another variation of the Imperial March which I think is pretty neat,but Williams never meant to put it there,and he had composed something else which was removed.

K.M.

Well, it was.

Yes, it was.

8O "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale" - Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Well, it was.

Yes, it was.

8O "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale" - Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

I strongly disagree. It was all wrong. "The Imperial March" should not be heard until The Empire Strikes Back.

Neil

Well, it's done now, isn't it? And even if, for continuity's sake, it shouldn't have appeared until ESB (given the Imperial theme in ANH), it still sounds pretty cool. I like how he didn't flat-out quote it with the existing accompanimental rhythm - the new one is very cool. Kind of says "this isn't the Empire yet but it obviously will be, for those of you still in the dark!." Maybe it is blatant and out of place, but I still like it!

If you heard it and didn't know where it came from or why it was put there, wouldn't you think it sounded cool too? 8O

No matter how "cool" you think it is, it's bad film scoring. It's wrong for the scene, it's wrong for the movie, and overall it's wrong for the series.

It's been speculated that in The Empire Strikes Back, the reason why a lot of the music was dropped or changed in the beginning was so that when we finally do hear "The Imperial March" it's the concert version, which is big and fresh and not just a re-statement of a previously heard theme. It's just that much of an important cue. Now all of that is diminished, since we've now heard it several chapters earlier.

Neil

I couldn't care less about what the IM did for the series being placed there in AotC, I'm beyond caring about SW anymore. I agree that it was a spectacular version of the theme, and for that reason alone I'm glad it was there.

Ray Barnsbury

I couldn't care less about what the IM did for the series being placed there in AotC, I'm beyond caring about SW anymore.  I agree that it was a spectacular version of the theme, and for that reason alone I'm glad it was there.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree, though it might be wrong for the IM to appear in Ep III, i sure hope it does, cause it's just such a good theme.

But it's pretty much a copy of the version from ROTJ when the emperor arrives to the death star. He isn't saying this isn't the empire yet for those in the dark, he is saying, these are the the loyal emperor's servants!

I think they should have used a more subtle version of the theme in AOTC, because it is the empires theme as well as vaders, but it works well showing the might of the empire by the time of TESB with vader having lots of power and the senate destroyed.

It's been speculated that in The Empire Strikes Back, the reason why a lot of the music was dropped or changed in the beginning was so that when we finally do hear "The Imperial March" it's the concert version, which is big and fresh and not just a re-statement of a previously heard theme. It's just that much of an important cue. Now all of that is diminished, since we've now heard it several chapters earlier.

None of the dropped music featured the Imperial March, save for the beginning of "The Ice Planet Hoth," but then it was replaced by "The Imperial Probe," which also features it. And I don't see what makes the concert version fresher than the original "Aboard the Executor" (personally I think the latter is much better).

A problem Williams might have faced is, how to use the imperial march for that scene which would fit the trilogy being the empire's theme. It should have been used subtlely, but that would be more difficult to get it to work dramatically that way, as a big finale for the movie. But maybe he tried something like that in that rumoured alternate version.

I don't see what makes the concert version fresher than the original "Aboard the Executor" (personally I think the latter is much better).

Well the Aboard the Executor to me sounds like a half completed version of the concert version. The concert version is orchestrated bigger and more layered. So perhaps the Aboard the Executor is an earlier version of the theme pending developement, it being so early in the film.

But maybe he tried something like that in that rumoured alternate version

It's not a rumor.

And Aboard the Executor is the best version of the Imperial March ever IMO,and not a "half completed" version.The brass in there is amazing.Too bad it was dropped,for whatever reason.At least it's on the SE cd's

K.M.