Potter star suspects Harry may die

nja

Not that Radcliffe's playing the title character gives him greater insight that anyone else, but it is food for thought. I edited the article down a bit; the original can be found here.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/...r.ap/index.html

LONDON, England (AP) -- Harry Potter may never grow up.

Daniel Radcliffe, who stars as the daring schoolboy wizard, said Friday that Harry may die in the last book of J.K. Rowling's magical series.

"I'm going to be really unpopular for saying this about Harry, but I've always had the suspicion -- with everything that's going on -- that he might die," Radcliffe, 14, told a news conference Friday to promote the third film of Rowling's series, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban."

Rowling has remained silent about the fate of Harry in the seventh and final book. But with every new installment Rowling reveals more connections between the character and his arch-enemy, the evil wizard Lord Voldemort.

"Harry and Voldemort have the same core in them, we get to see that in the fourth film," the now in production "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," said Radcliffe.

"The only way Voldemort could die is if Harry dies as well."

Voldemort was responsible for the deaths of Harry's parents and left the young wizard with the distinctive zig-zag scar on his forehead.

The pair have similar powers -- including their wands and their fluency in Parsel -- and Voldemort has been unable to kill Harry.

Rowling has hinted in the past that Harry may not survive.

Asked whether she would write books about the character when he reaches adulthood, she replied: "You have to wait and see whether he survives to be a grown-up."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always thought that in Book 7, Harry should die, but he will not. His death would bring the books full circle - beginning as the Boy who Lived. I can't see Rowling doing this, though, and the fact that she has already suggested Harry's death in passing tells me that she won't actually write it that way.

its funny this report has been around for weeks, and people are just now noticing it.

its funny this report has been around for weeks, and people are just now noticing it.

I dunno. It was just posted on CNN at 1:46 PM EDT.

For someone like myself who doesn't frequent all the HP fan sites, it's the first I've heard of it.

I have always thought that in Book 7, Harry should die, but he will not. His death would bring the books full circle - beginning as the Boy who Lived. I can't see Rowling doing this, though, and the fact that she has already suggested Harry's death in passing tells me that she won't actually write it that way.

I always thought the same about The Lord of the Rings.

Highlight (spoilers, as if anyone here DOESN'T know the end of LotR)...

Frodo should have fallen into Mt Doom along with The Ring and Gollum. It would have been so much more dramatic, though it would have served the movie better than the book (what with the whole Scourging of the Shire thing).

I suspected exactly the same as Radcliffe; that the two cannot live while the other is. Or even more extreme, neither can live. It balances Good and Evil if they both die, but if they both lived they would both become more powerful, upsetting the balance. Or whatever.

Highlight (spoilers, as if anyone here DOESN'T know the end of LotR)...

That would ruin the whole point of the story, with the Gray Havens missing. To me, that part is essentially what the whole thing is basically all about.

Marian - :wave:

You're all wrong.  Harry is going to wake up from a dream.

Neil

Reminds me of the dream season of Dallas. LOL

My guess is that he is so linked to Voldemort, he will have to sacrifice himself to finally rid the world of his evil- but that's just a guess, and an un-educated one at that.

~Karm

Killing off the main character as part of the finale has become cliche now folks.

IMO its only good if done really well. Usually its done as a cheap way to try to wrench emotion from the audience.

Kill him already! ;) I rather like the first book, but sick of the circus the media is making of it.

It does make very little sense if it's gonna be the way things will disentangle in the final year. If Harry represents the "good" in the story and Voldermont is the evil, than Rowling has never aimed HP at kids who believe in the fairytales because evil shouldn't beat the good, even though dying alongwith as a result. For me, the books have the only one character representing the good, and that's Harry.

And it would be a stupid end to a great story anyway, so cheap (and now even more predictable). I hope Rowling continues writing with open-eyed and open-minded attitude and with a notion of what's rumored. Not that she should be making changes as fans reveal more and more of what might come next, but I hope she'll be original about the ending.

No plans on the eighth book as a "sequel". Rather, if the author ever considers writing more for the Potter, then go back prior to Harry's birthday, perhaps a book or two about his parents. That death must be a good start point from where to unfold a solid story.

Rowling has already confirmed there will be no more books beyond book 7. To the rumor that she was going to write a book about Lily and James after that, she replied there won't be, and that people believing that have been watching too much Star Wars. :P

;) James Newton Howard - Aladar & Neera from Dinosaur (OST)

You mean a Prequel series?  

Ohhhh man I dunno about that.  

I mean Prequel have a way of turning out ...... well ....... you know! :P

Would I be worried only if GL had a son who would have a crush on Rowling's daughter through whom GL's son would insist on the author to allow GL's son's father to put his hands on the prequel project, but that ain't gonna come about, ever....

;)

evil shouldn't beat the good

Well, the way we are tlaking about, good beats evil. I think it should be important to show that there is a price in beating evil.

Rowling has already confirmed there will be no more books beyond book 7.

Not quite. She said she really doesn't plan to at all, but she wouldn't completely rule it out. I still wouldn't count on it though.

To the rumor that she was going to write a book about Lily and James after that, she replied there won't be, and that people believing that have been watching too much Star Wars. :P

It wouldn't fit her style anway, I think. Part of what makes the books so great is that she's telling the past bit by bit through the current stories.

Marian - who will watch HP:PS in an hour.

;) Basic Instinct (Jerry Goldsmith)

And it would be a stupid end to a great story anyway, so cheap (and now even more predictable). I hope Rowling continues writing with open-eyed and open-minded attitude and with a notion of what's rumored. Not that she should be making changes as fans reveal more and more of what might come next, but I hope she'll be original about the ending.

Harry's death wouldnt be cheap, so to speak, since I'm sure the majority of the fan base would be shocked if it happened. Actually, I would admire the series even more if Voldemort doesn't die, but Harry does. Awesome if Rowling wrote it that way.

I mean Prequel have a way of turning out ...... well ....... you know! ;)

You mean you DON'T think Exorcist: The Beginning is gonna bethe greatest movie ever? 8O

Incidently, I hope to get to a Q&A that Paul Schrader, the original director of the movie (and auther of the screenplays to Raging Bull and Taxi Driver among others) in the next few days. Him and Patrice Lecont are gonna be at my local cinemateque.

Anyway, I don't think a prequel book would be such a bad idea.

Yeah, I was thinking that too Ray. I'd prefer a complete volume rather than a little "Comic Relief" one like Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. She could do The Monster Book of Monsters too, though it would probably be too similar to Fantastic Beasts.

Definitely, no fifty-page "just for fun" edition. And I'm glad she said she won't do prequels; that's good for the sake of the series. Also, I think they'd inherently be really sad, since we know what eventually happens to Lily, James, and the rest of the Mauraders.

Ray Barnsbury

I love those Comic Relief books. Some more would be very welcome.

Marian - who has to re-read the entire series soon.

:mrgreen: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I think Radcliffe's got it wrong. The prophecy states "Neither can live while the other survives," meaning one will have to kill the other eventually, but they needn't both die.

I love those Comic Relief books. Some more would be very welcome.  

I do too, I hope it didn't sound like I was degrading them. It's just that Hogwarts, A History lends itself to more of a full volume.

Ray Barnsbury

But voldemort has already died several times. :music: So it must be Potter, right? I'm not an expert on the books.. but I know this.

I honestly think Rowling could write Hogwarts: A History right now. She has completely planned out every book, every character, place and event background. It would be great if it was a full volume, and interesting. Do you think that the book updates itself when new things happen at Hogwarts? It could have stuff about the Philosopher's Stone and other such things in there as well, it would be a worthy companion for the series.

I mean Prequel have a way of turning out ...... well ....... you know! ;)

Would I be worried only if GL had a son who would have a crush on Rowling's daughter through whom GL's son would insist on the author to allow GL's son's father to put his hands on the prequel project, but that ain't gonna come about, ever....

;)

Extremely far fetched I know. However, seeing as how things have going movie-wise lately it seems like as if we are spiraling down into a pit of utter mediocritiy of cinema that would make that sort of thing possible. :music:

I think Radcliffe's got it wrong. The prophecy states "Neither can live while the other survives," meaning one will have to kill the other eventually, but they needn't both die.

Whether intentional or not, that statement is very vague. I was going to dissect it word for word here, but that wouldnt clear much up. If you rephrase it to "neither can live while the other lives" to "both can't live at the same time", on the one hand it implies that at most one can be alive at the same time (which means they might both be dead...) but we already know that Harry and Voldemort are both alive in Book 5. So it makes very little sense...

Some clarification:

"...AND EITHER MUST DIE AT THE HAND OF THE OTHER FOR NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES..."

...Harry asked, without caring much about the answer, "The end of the prophecy...it was something about...'neither can live...'"

"'...while the other survives,'" said Dumbledore.

"So," said Harry, dredging up the words from what felt like a deep well of despair inside him, "so does that mean that...that one of us has got to kill the other...in the end?"

"Yes," said Dumbledore.

That's Harry and Dumbledore's interpretation of it, which may not be entirely correct. I'm referring to the quote itself.

He has never died; he isn't immortal but had dabbled in so many "life spells" that when he should have died it just stripped him of a body and his powers. Happened again in Book 1.

I think death is an irreversible thing even in JKR's wizarding world. Voldemort could stretch his life, and even survive without a body...but he couldn't be brought back if he really died.

Marian - who also doesn't think the prophecy says anything about both of them having to die.

;) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter will only die when the grosses run out! ;)

Ha- and there is the end of the matter.

I still want to know how Harry killed Voldemort in Book 1 just by toughing him.

He didn't die. He merely escaped (spoiler) Quirrel's body which he had posessed.

But if you mean *aformentioned character*; the love that Harry's mother had for him at the time of his death was too much for Voldemort's host body to touch. It's like a spell that his mother sub-consciously cast on him when she died protecting him.

If you're confused by the movie, read the book.