Changes to Star Wars trilogy on DVD?

Well,lets see,we have the Star Wars original complete scores on c.d. already,nobody can take that away from us.Now if there's going to be changes to the OT again,I'd much rather have a re-scoring(like Howard Shore did with the LotR extended editions) than the old scores cut/looped/edited to fit the new movie.Plus we get new Williams Star Wars compositions,so i'll take that as bonus cues.

If Wiliiams actually re-scores to make the movies seamless,those new version of the Star Wars trilogy might actually be better than just adding new effects and scenes.

K.M.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a few scenes in ANH that didn't have ANY music before that might be better with music, like some of the pre-battle Yavin stuff.

Star Wars is a beautifully spotted film. The music comes in and out and all the right times. It's the only film in the series not to be scored almost throughout and that is why it is so successful. It doesn't just meander along until something happens.

Neil

Is this BS?

Neil

I'm Dutch and that magazine does seem to ring a bell with me....but unfortunately I could remember wrongly, and that still doesn't mean this was in the magazine nor that it's true....sorry I'm not much of help here, am I? :-)

Well,lets see,we have the Star Wars original complete scores on c.d. already,nobody can take that away from us.

K.M.

Exactly, more is not less in this case.

This is also quite a serious thing, shots are being ....the entrance and/or continuation of political correctness into the movies...and life unfortunately:

This is ridiculous.  Lucas didn't cut those bits to be PC or reduce violence.  He cut them because the stupid flame effects look AWFUL.

Lucas already has shown that he 'charmed up' the series when Greedo started shooting first. It's less...well...controversial let's say, therefore it's consequently more politically correct. (I'm correct now, right Cerrabore? ;-) )

And those shots never looked awful to me...partly because it all happens so quickly I guess. There have been 'hits' though that look a lot worse....the crashing of the X-Wing into the Deathstar is a good example. That bothered me much more, but none of these shots warrants cutting them out. Improving them? Perhaps, but not cutting.

Also, Lucas has pointed out before these were kids movies. Which is one of the few times that really startled me as I've not heard that from him before....and where I thought he was completely wrong. But that would be a good reason to reduce the violence wouldn't you say?

What really saddens me about all this is Lucas is going to make himself even more insansely wealthy after these come out.

Screw the Skywalker ranch! In another few years this guy will be conducting all his business from a Star Destroyer.

Well,lets see,we have the Star Wars original complete scores on c.d. already,nobody can take that away from us.Now if there's going to be changes to the OT again,I'd much rather have a re-scoring(like Howard Shore did with the LotR extended editions) than the old scores cut/looped/edited to fit the new movie.Plus we get new Williams Star Wars compositions,so i'll take that as bonus cues.

If Wiliiams actually re-scores to make the movies seamless,those new version of the Star Wars trilogy might actually be better than just adding new effects and scenes.

K.M.

I had the same thought. I've got my SE scores sitting on the shelf, so I really hope Williams does write some new stuff. Just from a musical point of view, we aren't losing anything really.

There seem to be plenty of people around who want to see Duel of the Fates added to the Vader/Obi-Wan duel... :roll: ...Just out of curiosity though, I would really like to see Vader strolling onto the blockade runner accompanied by a new composition of the Imperial March (not that there is anything wrong with Imperial Attack the way it is now).

What I would like to see (and what would possibly make me appreciate the prequels more) is Williams rescoring the end battles of both Eps 1 & 2, without the pressure of Lucas's last-minute editing fits / incomplete effects work etc.

There seem to be plenty of people around who want to see Duel of the Fates added to the Vader/Obi-Wan duel...  :roll:

I agree. :roll: That would totally not fit the mood/tone of the scene.

Oh, but if you want to make your friends laugh, when that scene comes on in Star Wars, start humming "Duel of the Fates". Made me laugh when my friend did it.

Neil

Where's the indication that Lucas even realizes anymore the importance of Williams' music in his films? He certainly hasn't treated it with any respect on the last two. As much as I don't think it's necessary, I'd almost welcome new music by Williams for the OT...at least then it would mean Lucas recognizes how vital it is to the whole SW experience. More likely, though, he'd just track in prequel cues...very, very poorly.

Was Lucas a genius, or was he lucky? That is the question. One thing is certain. We wouldn't be talking so much about him if he left the originals alone.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Was Lucas a genius, or was he lucky? That is the question. One thing is certain. We wouldn't be talking so much about him if he left the originals alone.

I've been asking myself the same question. I've always regarded him in the past as an absolute genius in creativity and philosophy (the ideas that were stuck in the movies).

But lately, I just don't know anymore. How could a genius make such mistakes as this? (...hmmm, well, I guess that question has been asked before when it came to some 'evil' people)

Or better yet, how come a genius is no longer a genius?

It almost seems as if he bought the story from a genius and then went away with it, and do his thing. Or he had put his lifework and vision into these movies and once they were done, he was done.

It's very weird.

What really saddens me about all this is Lucas is going to make himself even more insansely wealthy after these come out.  

Screw the Skywalker ranch! In another few years this guy will be conducting all his business from a Star Destroyer.

But he'll still be under the control of the Emperor Bill Gates.

:)

What is the source of these pics?

Naboo in the celebration at the end of Jedi? Makes perfect sense to me, a tie in to the prequels.

Anakin spirit change? Not big on that, but I can understand why it's being done.

I don't recognize the last pic. It looks like Coruscant but I'm not sure. Obviously also from the end of Jedi celebration.

I got the pics from TF.N's boards... There really isn't any word on whether they are legit or not, but they sure look it to me.

The Naboo shot is actually a scene from TPM, flipped, with crowds added to it. It could still be genuine however, since this wouldn't be the first time that Lucas has reused a flipped shot.

The last pic is Coruscant, it's pretty much the same as the one from the SE, although the building in the distance has been changed. it used to be another skyscraper, but now resembles the Jedi Temple instead.

hell a matte painting would look more real than that shot Neil

rotj-remaster3.png

Hey, look at my avatar and then look the pyramid buildings in the right corner of this pic.

I'll post a photo that resembles this even closer.

hell a matte painting would look more real than that shot Neil

Oh I never said it looked it fake. It's just that I thought it coudn't get much worse than teddy bears dancing around a campfire. Now we have partying Gungans. I was secretly hoping that Naboo would be blown up in Episode III since Naboo is never mentioned again.

Now the question is, is George going to ask Williams to re-score this sequence again? :music:

Neil

they all look fake to me, but the one with the fireworks in the city, with the pyramid at the right, if you

look at the base you can see the statue of the emperor laying at the base.

Now the question is -- if we do get a substantial amount of rescored or altered music for the new trilogy, will there be a huge clamor from the board to have it released on CD in some way?

I started out as a Star Wars Score Completist before I became a John Williams Completist, so you know where I stand.

Now the question is -- if we do get a substantial amount of rescored or altered music for the new trilogy, will there be a huge clamor from the board to have it released on CD in some way?

If it's all hacked and tracked, no. If it's new compositions, absolutely! As K.M. and others have said, we have the original complete scores thanks to Mike Matessino and the SEs and nothing can take that away from us. If JW composes new music for the OTs we should get it all.

rotj-remaster4.png

"Weesa free!!"

And from the commentary track: "We originally wanted jumping Jamaicans at the end of the movie, but we just ran out of time and money."

Neil

Also from the commentary: "This one is CGI. This one is matte painting. This one miniature. This one is motion capture. This one is CGI. Wow, there's my cameo! And I am, of course, CGI. The scene's CGI. This one's miniature. CGI. CGI. You see- this one? that's CGI. That one guy in the backgroud is real. John Williams's score must suck, as we're not mentioning it even once."

Ummmmm excuse me but why the hell would Anakin still look 20 something at the end of ROTJ? The least the fanboys who made that pic could've done was make his hair white or something.

Now the question is, is George going to ask Williams to re-score this sequence again?  :wave:

Neil

That is my ultimate wish since 1983,a REAL Williams all out full orchestral Finale to end all Finales for Return of the Jedi.Both endings suck as they are now(Ewok Celebration and Victory Celebration),

K.M.

That is my ultimate wish since 1983,a REAL Williams all out full orchestral Finale to end all Finales for Return of the Jedi.Both endings suck as they are now(Ewok Celebration and Victory Celebration),

K.M.

Yes, same here. I don't like the source music-like finales of Jedi or TPM. At least TPM has the extra creepiness factor of the kids singing the Emperor's Theme, wonderful foreshadowing there. But Jedi, especially the new SE ending, deserves a classic Williams full orchestral blowout.

I doubt if it will happen though. In fact I'd be very shocked if all the rumored new scoring is not hack and track (my new "official term" for these things :wave: ) like the Battle of Geonosis. Of course my ultimate wish the last couple of years is that JW will record some proper new music for that sequence, which is also highly unlikely.

The least the fanboys who made that pic could've done was make his hair white or something.

You mean the fanboys at ILM, right? These are all real images.

Neil

I'll still believe all this only when I see it. There are always so many people that claim to have inside info, and there have been a hundred fake photos and "I know what's been changed!" exclamations.

However, I'm not against any improvements or changes to make it fit better with the prequels. I'd welcome the Naboo celebration, but worry what it will do to the score. I happen to like "Victory Celebration" very much, but I wish it was the album version, and it needs to mesh better with the end credits. Hayden's spirit...this doesn't make any sense to me now, but maybe it will after Episode III. Ian McDiarmid needed to be added to Empire long ago, and I surely hope this one's true. If The Emperor's Theme is added, let's pray it's not done sloppily.

Music editing has not been Lucasfilm's strong point as of late...to say the least! Whatever satisfaction any changes might bring will be severely tempered by jarring musical edits that ruin classic moments.

I'll still believe all this only when I see it.  There are always so many people that claim to have inside info, and there have been a hundred fake photos and "I know what's been changed!" exclamations.

Go to this thread and download the .avi file then tell me it's fake.

I'd welcome the Naboo celebration, but worry what it will do to the score.

If it were me, I'd repeat the "jingly" opening to "Victory Celebration" over and over. But again, that's just me.

I happen to like "Victory Celebration" very much, but I wish it was the album version, and it needs to mesh better with the end credits.

Yeah, too bad John Williams ended it on the wrong note.

Ian McDiarmid  needed to be added to Empire long ago, and I surely hope this one's true

Go here.

Neil

Ummmmm excuse me but why the hell would Anakin still look 20 something at the end of ROTJ? The least the fanboys who made that pic could've done was make his hair white or something.

The theory doing the rounds is that Ben's "He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader" line from Jedi is more literal than previously interpreted. In effect, Anakin and Vader are two different personalities, and so when his ghost appears it is as the "true" Anakin before he went to the dark side.

Thanks for the links, Neil. No, I don't think they're fake now. Wow. I kinda like that Anakin looks embarrassed now. Before, he was just beaming. And my wish has come to pass...the one, true Emperor Palpatine is finally in TESB.

Regarding Victory Celebration, I have done some editing in personal versions where it leads into the end credits quite nicely. You need to let the last note of VC ring out, and not overlap it with the end credits. If you emphasize that last note, you get a much more satisfying ending, not to mention a better transition.

Having Anakin's facial language appear different in the ROTJ celebration doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. He still looks/acts like the rebellious punk from the prequels rather than a wizened, mature adult. I'm still not completely satisfied with the explanation that Anakin's youthful appearance was due to his Jedi identity being in stasis while he was in the dark side, or whatever it is. OTOH, I prefer the theory that because Anakin was "more machine than man," that there really was nothing organic left in him since he was kept entirely alive by machinery (so there was nothing left to "age" that entire time).

How's this for another change:

vadercompare.jpg

Are the DVD's finished as of now,because,you know,Williams has some spare time right now.It would be the perfect time to fix all his SW scores.

K.M.

Are the DVD's finished as of now,because,you know,Williams has some spare time right now.It would be the perfect time to fix all his SW scores.

K.M.

Would it be possible to record new music and mix it into the movies between now and when they come out? I would have thought that it would have had to been done before now.

John- not DVD-tech savvy in any way.

I havent seen these mentioned.

I hope many are more pleased now...

It wouldnt let me post an image so, go to this page and look fpr Jabba and other things

I cannot understand Deutch so i dont know if many pics are original or enhaced...

http://www.starwars-union.de/index.php?id=...ewsid=5904#5904

Why didn't he just re-cast and reshoot the whole damn original trilogy?????

Oh wait thats coming in 2006.......

Screw you guys, I don't care about the changes. I have the original versions already. The image quality of these new DVD's is enough for me to get them. Look at all the colours!

- Marc, :mrgreen:

You know Neil, for someone who hates all of this you manage to stay on top of it really well. Morbid curiosity?

I feel a certain responsibility here, since it is very much John Williams related. Plus, I can't really criticize something unless I've seen it, can I?

Neil

I feel a certain responsibility here, since it is very much John Williams related.  Plus, I can't really criticize something unless I've seen it, can I?

Neil

And all the info is much appreciated. :mrgreen: