PS or SS?

First, please don't offend me, but I never watched any Harry Potter film (yet).

Second, that's the question: the first film is called "Philosopher's stone" or "Sorcerer's stone"? Because I have found different CD covers with both titles...

TJ - embarassed and confused

:oops: :?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's not exactly mandatory viewing, as they ain't exactly E.T. or Wizard of Oz :mrgreen:.

Philosopher's is European, Sorcerer's is American. No other difference.

Oh, yeah, Morlock, I thought that was the answer.

I'm just thinking why we Europeans have to do everything different from Americans...

Wrong Tommy, the original title of the book the film is based on is Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone.

They changed it for the American market cause the average book reading American does not know what the Philosophers Stone is. (that's what the US publishers think anyway)

Ok, Stefan, I wa joking! But sometimes there's differences between U.S.A. and Europe. Another is that "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" and "Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture" thing...

Well, now that I got my answer, I think this thread is become useless!!

There is absolutely no difference between the music represneted on the cd (though the European ones come with a second useless CD).

Stefancos said:

They changed it for the American market cause the average book reading American does not know what the Philosophers Stone is.

I actually heard that it was changed because the studio believed that the word "philosopher" was too intellectual for American viewers :roll:. I remember a few years back, the title of "Ghosts of Mississippi" was changed in the Uk to "Ghosts From the Past" because the execs thought that UK viewers wouldn't know what or where the Mississippi is LOL. Yet another great reason to not allow dumb people to make important decisions. :|

I don't care what they say, this American still prefers the name Philosopher's Stone.

...the execs thought that UK viewers wouldn't know what or where the Mississippi is  LOL. Yet another great reason to not allow dumb people to make important decisions.  :|

Not to be rude, but...

Unless you're talking about the river, Mississippi is a state. ;)

Damn, and there was me thinking it was one of Jupiter's moons :| Yeah, I ain't seen the film and I was referring to the river ;)

Don't forget these books are written for children. When they turned 'Philosopher's Stone' into a movie they didn't want to throw a complicated word in the faces of their biggest audience.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Both the film and the book are titled Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone in the United States. It may have been the decision of studio executives to use the American version of the title, but they did not come up with it.

Changing Philosophers to Sorcerer's I could kinda understand, but I still don't understand the whole deal with The Maddness of King George III. What an idiotic reason to change a title of a movie! (That's really insulting people's intelligence).

I actually heard that it was changed because the studio believed that the word "philosopher" was too intellectual for American viewers

Not quite; it was the publisher, not the studio, since they already changed the book title for the US release. (They "translated" several words which were "too British" in the novels, too)

Don't forget these books are written for children. When they turned 'Philosopher's Stone' into a movie they didn't want to throw a complicated word in the faces of their biggest audience.

Complicated? I don't know if "Philosopher's Stone" is complicated, but at least it's an actual term, and children have probably heard about it elsewhere as well (at least I know I did when I was a child - the German equivalent of the term of course). Instead, they're throwing an invented word in their face.

Marian - who still doesn't think children are that dumb. ;)

For the record, I had not heard of the Philosopher's Stone before HP, and have not heard it used in any other context since. I don't think it's as well known here as it is in Europe.

Ray Barnsbury

For the record, I had not heard of the Philosopher's Stone before HP, and have not heard it used in any other context since.  I don't think it's as well known here as it is in Europe.

But perhaps it would be if they hadn't changed the title for the Potter. ;)

Marian - who thinks the original title might actually have (a small) educational value. :)

I have only seen each movie once and haven't read any of the books yet. I don't remember that the stone in question turned base metal into gold (unlike the true Philosopher's Stone), and I don't even remember what it did. Am I mistaken?

The PS in the Harry Potter novel was the true Stone, and apart from turning metal into gold, it also produces the Elixer of Life (I wonder how, really), which makes the drinker immortal.

Incidentally, there is also a novel called Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone, where the man with the hat goes to search for... well, the Philosopher's Stone.

- Marc

The PS in the Harry Potter novel was the true Stone, and apart from turning metal into gold, it also produces the Elixer of Life (I wonder how, really), which makes the drinker immortal.

I think the book Hermione quotes describes both of these properties. Also note that the creator of the stone is Nicholas Flamel, who is supposed to be the creator of the "real" stone.

Marian - who has to read the books again soon.

...Wait. Why is the film called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Britain? In the film, the characters refer to the Stone as the Sorceror's Stone. Surely they didn't do two takes of each scene where it's mentioned with the different names? :?

Surely they didn't do two takes of each scene where it's mentioned with the different names? :?

Yes, they did. And don't call me Shirley.

Neil

Actually, that's exactly what they did. And don't call me Shirley.

EDIT: DANG IT! Neil beat me to it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Thebook is for children.And the meaning of the title is explained inside...I don't get it.

On the other hand,I get confused when British people use words like lorry and jumpers.

K.M.

What words do they usually change in those translations? Do they really change all words like harbor/harbour or center/centre? That's useles i think...

I know: saber (US) - sabre (UK)

I believe they do. But I don't notice it- I've read the books randomly in the British and American versions (I have both versions lying around), and I've noticed very few differences, except for the fact that the British one looks physicaly like a serious novel where as the American still looks like a children's book.