Williams not to visit Europe in 2005, no concert in London ?

David Vincent

I have just received a handwritten letter from John Williams himself, telling this :

David

I do not expect to visit Europe in 2005.

However, I thank you for your letter and your interest.

John Williams

A few months ago, I sent a letter to the maestro asking him if he would play a series of concerts with the London symphony orchestra while recording Star Wars next February.

Unfortunately, it probably means that he will not perform any concert in Europe next year...

mini_letter.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he really doesn't come to London next year, I'm really disappointed right now :joke:

However, what does this mean for Ep.3? Isn't he going to record it with the LSO this time? That would be the first non-LSO Star Wars score...

If I remember, the LSO has been booked for Star Wars recording three years in advance. I guess John Williams will just come for this, but not for concert. Anyway, is it possible to attend the recording sessions ?

No, unless you are a member of the orchestra or close friend of Williams or Lucas.

I can be Lucas' friend, no problem. "Great movie, George, I especially like Jar Jar Binks. How's Johnny? Say, speaking of Johnny ... those new recording sessions... when exactly are we going to London? February? Alrighty then! Why don't I pick you up so we could go to the airport together? It's a deal!"

Too bad, Stefancos. I was just about to ask my friend George if there was a seat left, in case I want to bring another person. Somehow I don't feel like doing that anymore.

Some of you asked me about the address to write to John Williams.

He sent his letter from the Boston Symphony Orchestra on 12th of August :

John Williams

Symphony Hall

301 Massachusetts Avenue

Boston, Massachusetts 02115-4511

I first wrote a few months ago, so it took its time, but perhaps the first address I used was not correct (I can't remember which one a french fan sent me).

I also asked for a signed photo but he forgot it :roll:. Nevermind.

I used that address to get my JW autograph as well.

If he will not come to London next year, then when am I suspected to see JW (a)live in concert!?

Oh man, this is really disappointing!! :|

I have seen Willams twice in London and I can't wait to see him again with the LSO. It was amazing to hear the sound and see the man on the flesh

We should convince Williams to just get over to Amsterdam. :baaa:

Groningen would be better. He could give a concert in our concert hall, De Oosterpoort.

If I remember, the LSO has been booked for Star Wars recording three years in advance. I guess John Williams will just come for this, but not for concert. Anyway, is it possible to attend the recording sessions ?

I'll send him a letter... I know a conductor who lives in London, who also knows people in the LSO, he might be able to pull some strings...

I'll send him a letter... I know a conductor who lives in London, who also knows people in the LSO, he might be able to pull some strings...

To get the information or to get Williams?

he and I were talking about this a while back, and he suggested I should write to Williams about perhaps attending to recording sessions, while my friend maybe would talk to some people at the LSO, I dunno... something :music:

he and I were talking about this a while back, and he suggested I should write to Williams about perhaps attending to recording sessions, while my friend maybe would talk to some people at the LSO, I dunno... something :music:

Magnus, I am really impressed.

I don't know about your contact in London and if you can send him e-mails for a quick answer, but this letter breeds a lot of questions as you can see :-)

Can you know if John Williams will come for the recordings sessions in London on february and if so, is it possible to organize with the LSO and John Williams something like a meeting for the fans he has in Europe and who are willing to travel to UK ?

he and I were talking about this a while back, and he suggested I should write to Williams about perhaps attending to recording sessions, while my friend maybe would talk to some people at the LSO, I dunno... something ;)

Magnus, I am really impressed.

I don't know about your contact in London and if you can send him e-mails for a quick answer, but this letter breeds a lot of questions as you can see :-)

Can you know if John Williams will come for the recordings sessions in London on february and if so, is it possible to organize with the LSO and John Williams something like a meeting for the fans he has in Europe and who are willing to travel to UK ?

I really can't tell in how big scale this will turn out to... I'm not really that confident I'll be allowed to, due to security reasons, especially with Lucas being there and all... But, I happen to know Esa-Pekka Salonen as well, that I know meets JW a little now and then... so maybe, if I can rally a few people to like say that I'm no security risk, then it might go well :)

However, and also a pretty sad thing is that I most likely won't be able to get you guys onto this 8O I'm pretty sure this will be an extremely delicate matter, also since the movie will be running during the recording, so there'll probably be some worries that people will leak about it... I don't know... but as soon as I have come up with some proper formulation for that letter... I'll send it and hope for the best... I should probably send it as soon as possible though, since JW obviously can't answer mail too quickly...

This is sad news, because I was seriously making plans to visit London in February 2005.

What else would there be to do in London besides listen to the best orchestra in the world play under the direction of the best composer/conductor in the world?

Jeff -- deeply saddened

This is sad news, because I was seriously making plans to visit London in February 2005.

What else would there be to do in London besides listen to the best orchestra in the world play under the direction of the best composer/conductor in the world?

Jeff -- deeply saddened

there are still lots of things to do in London 8O they have a lovely opera in Covent Garden, I experienced my first opera there, Wagner's Mastersinger. Then of course you can tourist on the regular places like the Towern, Big Ben and so on

I can hear Wagner right here in Vienna (in fact, I plan to attend all the Ring operas during the upcoming season). I've been to London three times so far, each time to hear Goldsmith conduct the LSO. Now that these days are over, I was hoping Williams would give me a reason to return...

Marian - still cursing the State Opera for apparently dropping that Williams invitation.

8O Facing Goya (Michael Nyman)

I wonder if I will ever be able to see Williams live.

I mean, is it impossible for that guy to do just ONE concert in Europe, with all those thousands of concerts he does in the US each year? 8O

Either way- you're really lucky Dave in getting a hand written note addressed and written specificaly for you! I got a note from his assistant, and was lucky in getting that much!

I wonder if I will ever be able to see Williams live.

I mean, is it impossible for that guy to do just ONE concert in Europe, with all those thousands of concerts he does in the US each year? :)

Exactly how I feel. The Yanks are getting spoiled, and now I'm old enough to appreciate a JW concert I seriously wonder if he'll perform in the UK. He's in London incidentally anyway...hmm. Makes one wonder...

I do not expect to visit Europe in 2005.

Does he mean at all? Or is his memory failing him, because he's definately recording Ep3 in London, right? There's something odd about this.

I think Williams was refering to mainland Europe,

I don't think he was infering he's not visisting or giving concerts in London,