*** Urgent Star Wars DVD News ***

Lurker

Either which way you look at it, the DVDs are still sharper than anything that has come before.

You cannot debate that the new transfer is certainly sharper. It is. But is the new color scheme reflective of the original photography? I'm saying no.

Neil

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen, I think you're right. But I'll wait on my final statement until I see a copy of these new transfers myself.

BTW, the coloring etc. seems fine for ESB and RotJ to me. Nothing wrong with those, right?

- Marc

PAL does not by definition contain more detail than NTSC. It depends on the transfer.

And a digital image is better than any of the old analog ones.

Either which way you look at it, the DVDs are still sharper than anything that has come before.

- Marc

Oh no no, I'm actually not debating that. It is just likely not that big a difference as it seems to be in the shots you've presented.

But for me anyway, the difference that it does make doesn't outway the differences found in color and contrast. Like you already noted, the wonderfull in-movie contrast (the good kind of contrast) of the dominantly black Darth Vader and white corridors is gone. That is more disruptive to the movie.

We are getting more technical improvements at the expense of art.

From what I've seen, I think you're right. But I'll wait on my final statement until I see a copy of these new transfers myself.

BTW, the coloring etc. seems fine for ESB and RotJ to me. Nothing wrong with those, right?

- Marc

Not as much as in a New Hope, which is an older movie, and they likely used less quality material back then. So everything outdates fast and becomes noticible....especially when fooling around.

Though slowly but surely the snow in TESB in many scenes have become bluer and bluer with each release. If you watch the old VHS releases, the snow is white...now they are completely blue, except when they're out in daylight. Unacceptable to me. Oh well.

I've said everything there is to say really.....thrice. ;)

I always thought it kind of funny that with all the new orchestra recording techniques - 24 bit at 192khz - all digital 80 pro tools channels etc.....

we still get to hear the final result at 44.1

That is kind of like showing commericals for HDTV on normal television....never quite got that one.

CD's have got to go!!! All Digital Baby.

Bring it on....I have the harddrive space and my studiophones ready.

In the doc Empire of Dreams,I think it's cool that they mention JW's work on Lost in Space and even play a clip,it's hardly ever mentionned.

k.M.

Just watched Empire Strikes Back.For some reason this movie seems far less dated than Star Wars(which feels like a 70's movie no matter what enhancements they put to it).Overall I think ESB looks fantastic,I love the new Emperor scene.Funny that Clive Revill is STILL credited as Voice of the Emperor in the End Credits.

The rear exhausts of the X-Wings are less pink than in the Star Wars S.E.Just something I noted.

K.M.

Assuming it's a full bandwidth digital recording (no compression) then there should be no difference between that and the analog source.

Neil

Huh? But you can't get a digital recording through analog outputs.

Am I missing something here?

It's like recording an LP to CD.

Neil

That's not an exact duplicate!

But close enough so you won't notice the difference, if you do it right.

You only would be making a sample. You would loose all the virtues of analog. Now if you would use the DSD recording format (that which is used for SACD) we might have a basis to talk further.

----------------

Alex Cremers

[

Yes,  LOL , at least to your ears and 100 Euro sound system it has none.

Alex Cremers

You mean my 600 Euro sound system.

Which does not have a record player, BTW.

Any advantage that vinyl may have is made redundant simply because they very slowly disintegrate while you play them.

Assuming it's a full bandwidth digital recording (no compression) then there should be no difference between that and the analog source.

Neil

Huh? But you can't get a digital recording through analog outputs.

Am I missing something here?

It's like recording an LP to CD.

Neil

That's not an exact duplicate!

But we are not talking high resolution sources. It's a known fact that DV tapes have more than enough resolution to cover the 425 lines of analog LD resolution. I have seen the transfers done and I've done it myself. I could not see a difference in the image.

Neil

Well I've finally watched the Empire of Dreams documentary at my friend's house (I still haven't bought the set due to lack of funds!). The documentary is great. I find it a little ironic that when they talk about John Williams' music they show the clip with the force theme fanfare as the X-Wings begin their Death Star Assault. It sounds great in the documentary, shame they dialed it out in the film!

I also watched the opening of Star Wars to see how the picture looked. I watched the first 5 minutes or so and I must admit I was amazed how good it looked. The image really is the clearest I've ever seen it (since 1977 anyway). Is it just me or is the music quieter though? I mean during the very opening shot when we see the blockade runner approaching the camera with the Star Destroyer in shot behind it. The music just seems quieter here for some reason.

I can't wait to see the movies through properly. I have to sort out my IRS tax problems before I can go out buying DVD sets though.

You mean my 600 Euro sound system.

What? You've secretly upgraded your system?!

No, i've been going strong with the current system for years now.

Sony dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 amp 350 euro

Pioneer CD player 200 Euro

Sony MD player/recorder aprox 400 Euro

Akai speakers about 200 Euro i think.

Philips CD recorder 200 Euro

Pioneer subwoofer 250 euro

Kenwood surround speakers 150 Euro (on sale)

Philips DVD player 30 Euro's (great second hand deal via eBay)

Actually a bit more then 600 come to think about it.

I find it a little ironic that when they talk about John Williams' music they show the clip with the force theme fanfare as the X-Wings begin their Death Star Assault. It sounds great in the documentary, shame they dialed it out in the film!  

In the Doc the Williams feature is short,but they get to the point,JW is a God,period.In the other part Lucas is always whining about something.I noticed the clip too,now they can't really deny the tinkering.

). Is it just me or is the music quieter though? I mean during the very opening shot when we see the blockade runner approaching the camera with the Star Destroyer in shot behind it. The music just seems quieter here for some reason.

Yes,that is the only other scene in Star Wars that I noticed the SFX were mixed louder than before.In ESB the music is just like before.

K.M.

You cannot debate that the new transfer is certainly sharper. It is. But is the new color scheme reflective of the original photography? I'm saying no.

Neil

It most definitely is no. I've seen it and it CLEARLY is designed to reflect the tone, pattern and scheme of the "digital" filming of the Prequels.

It looks nice, but it lacks the "vintage" SW feel.

I'm watching RotJ now.It's mostly a boring movie except for the last 45 minutes.The space battle on the DVD looks great.

K.M.Who will probably not feel the need to watch the SW OT for another few years,hence decided that his rentals are sufficient and does not need to buy the set.

K.M.2 Taking screenshots of all 3 movies for desktop wallpaper

And here is an even cooler site about really restoring the picture.

Neil

This guy has a lot of time on his hands.Maybe if I watched the movie frame by frame comparing it to the LD I might have noticed the blue hue on the Rebel trooper shirts.

K.M.

I think despite his best efforts, Lucas has still not managed to destroy the movies. There is still so much in them that is still just as potent as it was. The 'Into The Trap' scene and The Clash of the lightsabers scene still gets me every time.

Maybe if I watched the movie frame by frame comparing it to the LD I might have noticed the blue hue on the Rebel trooper shirts.

I noticed that the only time I watched it from start to finish. I even noted it in my list of changes. It's really very obvious.

Neil

I noticed the matte boxes around the ships are gone in most scenes in all 3 movies.I only noticed them in a few shots in ANH(in the TIE fighter attack),and RotJ(inside the superstructure)To me this was the MOST annoying thing on the VHS releases,especially the Asteroid chase in ESB,so at least that's 99% fixed.

K.M.

And here is an even cooler site about really restoring the picture.

Now this just sucks -- you have to be a professional video editor to get Star Wars back to the way it was. And that's just for the un-CGIed scenes! I don't know how this guy is going to handle the Han/Greedo scene -- it would seem that you'd HAVE to revert to the original version for a few frames, and as a result there would be a sudden, jarring shift in picture quality.

Looks like KM is going the "Neil route" with ROTJ.

Can this movie GET NO LOVE from this board?!?!? Come on people! The Space Battle alone makes the movie MORE than worth it.

There's this HUGE boring/useless middle part in RotJ after the sail barge assault and before the space battle.Some of the acting and dialogue in there stinks big time, even worse than AotC IMO (especially all of the sneaking around the forest scenes and the Ewok Village scenes).

Luke telling Leia she's his sister has got to be the worst scene in all Star Wars movies.

K.M.

Heh what about the Speeder Bike chase? That was pretty damn cool!

I also liked some of that middle third. The Luke and Leia scene is well done. The scenes with Luke and Vader aren't anywhere near as good as the ones in ESB but they are still fairly good in ROTJ. The setup for the battle is also very nicely done.

OK yeah the parts involving them wandering around the forest with the Ewoks sucks, but then again that Ewok bits have always sucked ass.

Heh what about the Speeder Bike chase? That was pretty damn cool! .

Hmm,re-watching all the movies I kept thinking the effects held up quite well even by todays standards,EXCEPT the speeder bike chase,for some reason It looks very dated.

K.M.

Huh? Really? I still feel that chase looks very good by today's standards.

Then again I am a total purist as EVERYONE on this board knows. I mean yes its not CG but when you realize this is totally NON-Digital effects its very impressive.

Can this movie GET NO LOVE from this board?!?!? Come on people! The Space Battle alone makes the movie MORE than worth it.

Despite technically very good, it was a very disinvolving experience and only served as a background decor for the Luke-Vader-Emperor confrontation.

----------------

Alex Cremers

OK yeah the parts involving them wandering around the forest with the Ewoks sucks, but then again that Ewok bits have always sucked ass.

To be quite honest, I've never understood the problems people have with the Ewoks. I've always regarded it as a stroke of genius and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Ewoks can't help they're cuddly like, but they've also proven to be quite skillfull in many situations. Their motivations and actions are quite natural. In other words, they don't truly behave like toys or clowns...in comparison to Jar Jar that is.

Also, the fact that such simple and 'cute' bears destroy such a dark and vile empire is terrific as well. You weren't seeing such extremes in other movies I reckon.

E ... E ... Ewoks ... A ... stroke ... of ... genius? ......(think)........(think)...................... LOL

:| I think they're the farthest thing from geniality.

RotJ is fairly good but disappointing compared to its predecessor:

- Jabba's Palace scenes seem disconnected from the rest of the movie.

- Pre-battle Endor scenes are a little tedious.

- Vader doesn't do anything badass like choke a guard (he did, but they cut the scene!).

- Luke is too arrogant.

- Leia is Luke's sister...not awful, but a little corny.

- Han and Leia have nothing to do.

RoTJ is a good movie. I still have not heard a good reason why it is not, aside from people not liking the ewoks.

Are you trying to stir up Neil's wrath? :|

Justin

All of those things that are accurate (a good 10-15 of them are plain grumblings of people who've had 20 years to come up with faults, and a whole bunch of them are exaggerated to varying degrees) make it not as good as it predecessor, not a bad movie.

While I may not posses the insight to see why Star Wars is as great as everyone says it is, that also makes me objective enough to see RoTJ for the good movie it is, not how much it pales compared to ESB.