The Collector's Oddity

Justin

I've been recently glancing through my JW collection (as if this is a strange occurrence) and I noticed a few oddities in it. For example I purchased the SW SE scores in backward order starting with ROTJ then ESB finishing with Star Wars. I also own the Far and Away Vol. 2 and yet don't have the OST. I own three different versions of the score to A.I. (A score that is not among my favorite) and yet I only have one version of Raiders of The Lost Ark. (My favorite score of all time.)

Anybody else have these strange anomalies in there collections or is it just me?

Justin - Who's collection is a freak of nature. :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I own a DVD rip of the complete Jurassic Park score that I got in a trade but don't own the OST. I also listen to very few pressed discs, almost everything I listen to is on CDR due to my constant tinkering (DVD extracts, film edits).

Some other trade anomolies I've run into:

You know you've got too many CD's when:

- you have to go look at your collection to make sure you have something (or don't)

- you excitedly purchase a rare score in a store, only to realize when you get home you already own it

- you pull a CD out you bought four months ago and it's still in plastic wrap

I admit, these have all happened to me, and probably all in the last three months (the third with Fitzwilly this morning).  Sad, but true!

Jason

Anybody else have these strange anomalies in there collections or is it just me?

Well, whenever i open the jewel case of my E.T cd, a burning bush appears in the corner of my room. A slow loud voice booms "I AM...THAT I AM". Strange. Because everytime i close the case, it immediately stops. Yet, open it even an inch and there it goes again. It has got to the stage that i've surrounded the Cd with a shrine. Because obviously it's genius is beyond my comprehension. A relative tried to open it once, and they melted on the spot.

Would that qualify as a Cd Collection Anomaly? :P

I admit, these have all happened to me, and probably all in the last three months (the third with Fitzwilly this morning).  Sad, but true!

They all sound memory related. I'd have the old mind womb checked out there. :P

And Adam, don't get smart with me! I give ya the smackdown!

Unless, of course, you were serious. :mrgreen:

Justin - Who would rather buy a decent score from an acctual store than order a great score online. That's a very strange oddity...

Well, whenever i open the jewel case of my E.T cd, a burning bush appears in the corner of my room. A slow loud voice booms "I AM...THAT I AM". Strange. Because everytime i close the case, it immediately stops. Yet, open it even an inch and there it goes again. It has got to the stage that i've surrounded the Cd with a shrine. Because obviously it's genius is beyond my comprehension. A relative tried to open it once, and they melted on the spot.

Would that qualify as a Cd Collection Anomaly? :|

:|

Would that qualify as a Cd Collection Anomaly? :|

I don't know that is an anomaly, but its more likely the melted person was simply unworthy of receiving what was inside.

Joe, whose Special Edition Last Crusade double disc refuses to play after my LC post from a couple weeks ago.

I have three copies of the 20th anniversary release of ET. It's not my favorite score and I don't even listen to it, since I have a complete album.

Neil

I absolutlely love all of the JNH scores I have (Peter Pan, Signs, The Village, Hidalgo, Treasure Planet, and The Fugitive). Actually, I really don't like the Fugitive score that much. I bought it before I even knew who JNH was, and I hardly ever listen to it.

Not really an oddity, but I never listen to my first JNH purchase, so...

~Sturgis, who is asking for Waterworld and Dinosaur for his birthday

The Fugitive is a great score. See the film. It works so well. Subtle and emotional.

Justin - Who could easily say it's JNH's finest achievment.

I have seen the film, and love it. I guess I can't say I don't like the score; I just haven't listened to it a whole lot. I had my iPod on shuffle and I got a few action tracks from it, and I remember the main theme was pretty, but I don't remember much else. I'll have to listen to it. But I don't think it could beat out Peter Pan or Signs, which are my two favorite scores of his. (Though The Village is a very close second, with Hidalgo and Treasure Planet tying for third.)

Of what I have.

~Sturgis

I don't own official pressings of TOD or Raiders. I've said it before: if I ever saw either one in a store, I'd gladly buy it.

I also have 2 copies of Jurassic Park. I was at a used CD place that was going out of business and I saw one for a dollar and I couldn't pass it up for some reason. I guess I need to give it to one of my friends. (At that same sale, I saw 2 copies of Licence to Kill for $1 each but I passed them up. LTK didn't interest me much at the time. I later ended up paying about $8 for it on eBay.)

I have the Japanese Temple of Doom, and I can't read the booklet. That's pretty weird.

And I did the same as you Justin, but with the Indy scores. Last Crusade was the first (in 2000, my first JW score ever, bought with Jaws 25th Anniversary), then Temple of Doom in August 2004 and then Raiders in December 2004. I got it as a CD-R in a trade.

Sturgis - you NEED to hear Waterworld! For action, it rocks the house. 8O

I like The Fugitive a lot too. Super with the movie, the score was Oscar nominated in 1993. Another early 90s score I'm digging is Grand Canyon. Excellent gritty urban. Just saw that movie and it is awesome. His writing has changed considerably in the last ten years, though I like new and old.

I really think JNH's finest work is Waterworld (from 1995) thus far. Just a knockout score, nice long OST, tour de force for brass! Well worth getting, I got it for Christmas and LOVE it. Signs is right up there too. It's genius. Then its hard to rank after that, I like many equally.

Including CD-R's I have more JNH scores than I do JW. Since I started trading I have numerous oddities in my collection.

I seem to have a surprising amount of vintage for several composers now, because many of those are hard to come by, so I look out for those I guess. Like I got an LP rip of "Not With my Wife, You Don't" recently, haven't listened to it yet.

And the vintage thing has prompted E-Bay purchases that would have been quite strange to me a year ago. Like obscure non-score LP's that are collector's interest things, for my two favorites.

Greta

My Indy order is LC -> Raiders -> ToD.

Mine too. And I only have a CDR of the ToD OST so no Japanese, but my copy of the complete Final Fantasy VII score has a 15 or so page booklet entirely in Japanese. Apparently it's an interview with Uematsu.... :|:)

I have Seven Years in Tibet but not Superman, The Patriot but not E.T..

well if you think what you have is good, wait till you really do get some of John's Good Stuff.

I have heard some of Waterworld, Greta, and I really like it! :)

I totally agre with you about Signs. It is such an amazing score, especially "The Hand of Fate-Parts 1 and 2." And especially Part 1. Such a powerful cue, with the low brass BLASTS and the references to "Main Titles." A great action track, and beautiful too. Part 2 is beautiful as well.

~Sturgis

I think the ToD page on Markus Hable's website translate all (or a part) of the OST booklet. It's something written by Mr. Spielberg. You have to select the Original Release LP.

The text in the booklet looks much longer than that statement by Spielberg on Markus's page.

well if you think what you have is good, wait till you really do get some of John's Good Stuff.

Yeah, I'm sure they're better. Just have to get around to buying them...not that I don't have SOME of the "good stuff" - Star Wars, Raiders, etc.

Odd - I don't like Westerns really at all, but I love Western scores. Must come from being a fan of Copland's music.

Speaking of Hand of Fate, he has said in an interview he rewrote those cues something like 40 times. :) Paid off.

Greta

JWFan doesn't seem to have many Japanese....

Justin

Nor any members from the Tutsi tribe,for that matter.

And no we're not talking about Dustin Hoffman's film.

The text in the booklet looks much longer than that statement by Spielberg on Markus's page.

Indeed. In fact I said that Markus' page translated only the Spielberg linear notes. All or just a part of it.

We need a Japanese fan to translate all the Japanes imported OSTs booklet for us. :)

Another oddity is I only have the 35 minute OST to Jaws...

Get the Varese re-recording.

K.M.Who has everything.

I have everything too! The 1975's OST, the 25th Anniversary Edition (My firts JW CD ever, bought in 2000 along with the Last Crusade OST) and the Varese re-recording, which is very good!

Speaking of Hand of Fate, he has said in an interview he rewrote those cues something like 40 times.  :devil: Paid off.

LOL, We're the only ones talking about this.

Yeah, he said on the Signs DVD that "The Hand of Fate-Part 1" is the most difficult piece if music he's ever written, in terms of getting it all right.

M. Night Shyamalan DVDs (at least Signs and The Village) have really good (albeit short) score featurettes.

~Sturgis

We need a Japanese fan to translate all the Japanes imported OSTs booklet for us.

I have a friend in China, who was studying Japanese in 2003. And, this is the same guy who learned how to read and write Mandarin in a couple of months after coming from Indonesia (aswell as learning Russian as a side snack). So by now he should be perfect. At the moment he's travelling in Indonesia though. But if he's not busy when he gets back, i'll send some of them if you put scans onto this page. He might be able to help you with that.

We need a Japanese fan to translate all the Japanes imported OSTs booklet for us.

I have a friend in China, who was studying Japanese in 2003. And, this is the same guy who learned how to read and write Mandarin in a couple of months after coming from Indonesia (aswell as learning Russian as a side snack). So by now he should be perfect. At the moment he's travelling in Indonesia though. But if he's not busy when he gets back, i'll send some of them if you put scans onto this page. He might be able to help you with that.

If he's a big John Williams' fan, then ask him to register here!! :thumbup:

If he's a big John Williams' fan, then ask him to register here!

Unfortunately,he's the total opposite to me in musical taste. I used to play Classical and also JW music in his apartment, and it drove him absolutely mad. For some reason, he just didn't click with my musical taste. So there is very very little chance of him every signing up with Jwfan.net :thumbup: