Jerry Goldsmiths Birthday

Lurker

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

75 was still too young.

Not for the trivial reason that "he could have given us more music"; but because most anyone can reasonably hope for a longer time, to enjoy their everyday life.

Jerry Goldsmith did a lot for the radio, television and the movies, kept innovating, and left us a wonderful treasure in music. I hope as much of it will be saved from destruction by our beloved film music publishers-- his music and that of other composers.

Thank you for the wonderful music, Mr Goldsmith !

With a thought for his family on this special day.

:mrgreen: livier

jun2801d.jpg

Royal Albert Hall, June 28, 2001

Hey, in Olivier's picture you can see the heads of Hitch and Stefancos in the front row just below Jerry's podium. We had that podium rigged solid man! Jerry even stated he was gonna do his 14 hour VOYAGER suite just for me.

Hitch, missing Jerry and listening to PATTON at the moment.

I find I'm loving Jerry more and more with the passage of time, and I've been gradually filling in the gaps in my collection with scores I'd been missing from the 1970s (perhaps not surprisingly my favorite Goldsmith era). Right now, I'm really grooving to The Great Train Robbery. Marvelous score, and one which really enhances an already pretty damn good movie.

Happy Birthday, Jerry, wherever you are. You are missed.

Such a shame I only have two of his scores. :thumbup: At least that means there's still a wealth of wonderful material to discover. Here's to you, Jerry. beerchug

- Marc, :P

:happybday: Jerry Goldsmith - Klingon Battle from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Not forgiven. But it allows us to spare him long enough for him to get more Goldsmith.

Marian - who today listened to Secret of NIMH, The Great Train Robbery, The Final Conflict and bits from TMP.

Star Trek: Insurrection

If it's the boot, it's very good. If it's the official release, it's ok.

Marian - who had little or no Goldsmith when he was 17, but started getting a lot more soon after he had web access.

I've been listening to almost nothing but Fierce Creatures lately. IMO one of Jerry's most underrated scores. I just love it. Sounds to me like Jerry really put a lot into this.

Fierce Creatures is wonderful. Goldsmith must have liked it too, otherwise he wouldn't have expanded the score for the album release.

Marian - who also likes John Du Prez' A Fish Called Wanda.

:P Han Solo and the Princess (NPO, Gerhardt)

There's more to it than initially meets the eye. I listened to it barely once and basicaly dismissed it as a negligable small comedy score. But listening to it again just opened my eyes and ears to how wonderful it really is. A charming, inventive score, that has a lot more substance than you'd think. A great listen, perfect length, nothing too repititive. And 'The Funeral' is a genuinly beautiful piece, something you don't often get in a comedy score. I think aside from Goldsmith, this album is a great tribute to Chepisi- you see Jerry must really have valued the guy to make an effort for this score.

I'm 17 and I have many a Goldsmith score. Of course it's still rather puny compared to what it should be. 8O

Justin - Who's getting CD's as fast as he can!

:thumbup:

Marian - listening to Secret of NIMH :thumbup:

I LOVE THE SECRET of NIMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A regret I have is that I never was able to see him conduct. May he rest in peace.