The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

The boxes weren't the twist he has talking about i think. But the fact that the Doctor kept wiping their memories till he finally got it right and negotiated a peace.

The drama of the moment is kind of lost once it turns out there's a reset button.

This is a recurring problem in the Moffat era. Cleverness at the expense of drama. (Like how the Doctor was never fooled by Davros' as it turned out)

The boxes weren't the twist he has talking about i think. But the fact that the Doctor kept wiping their memories till he finally got it right and negotiated a peace.

Ah, I thought 'empty' referred to the empty boxes.

Well... the final "this has all happened before" revelation isn't new, but I never disliked it. As long as it's well done, it doesn't cheapen what came before - after all, the characters don't remember the earlier instances, so as far as their actions are concerned, it's still a first.

Actually 'empty' did refer to the empty boxes, but the Doctor's memory-erasing didn't help either.

I guess he's trying not to use those 'outs', preferring to use persuasion and actually change her character. I can understand that.

Yes.

But did you ever feel that the world, or the Zygon race was really at stake?

For me, it was well enough written and acted to generate suspense as to the outcome (even though anything other than war being avoided was highly unlikely).

The fun's not in the Doctor 'winning', it's in how he does so.

So I'm three episodes in and I'm hooked. The second episode "The End of the World' was really strong and occasionally touching. The third episode 'The Unquiet Dead' was okay, not bad but not particularly strong.

Best episode yet with "Father's Day". Wow, that was terrific. I was wondering when they would try their hand at the "The City on the Edge of Forever" type of story line and this didn't disappoint. Quite emotional.

Best episode yet with "Father's Day". Wow, that was terrific. I was wondering when they would try their hand at the "The City on the Edge of Forever" type of story line and this didn't disappoint. Quite emotional.

Wait till you get to "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances"...

"Yes, I am your mummy" (sniff)

BTW, after watching Sherlock and Doctor Who back to back, I noticed they both make clear references to the "American influence" with some concern. I'm aware that both shows involve Moffat and Gatiss, so maybe that's something they keep wanting to mention, but can any of our British members validate this?

Wait till you get to "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances"...

Just finished the two parter. Very good follow up after "Father's Day". I was starting to get a bit tired of the whole "are you my mommy" thing for an hour and a half but the explanation and ending tied it together nicely and was quite clever.

Are they anti-Americans?

Nothing like that, I just thought the mention on two different shows about "Americanization" was a bit odd and wondered if it was a popular topic.

I do think that when Who has set episodes in the States it has managed to remain its own 'animal', whereas when large chunks of Torchwood : Miracle Day were set there it undoubtedly lost something (so much so that I never actually finished the series).

There has been some complaints about Pandering to American tastes after Moffat took over Doctor Who (season 5)

I don't think its that bad.

It was there during the Matt Smith reign. It got reeled back a lot in Capaldi's tenure.

Just finished the two parter. Very good follow up after "Father's Day". I was starting to get a bit tired of the whole "are you my mommy" thing for an hour and a half but the explanation and ending tied it together nicely and was quite clever.

Moffat's next two are two (both of them with Tennant as the Doctor) of the pinnacles of the show. And I love the Matt Smith era that was fully helmed by Moffat, but as individual episodes they're pretty hard to beat.

Spoilers!

Spoilers!!

Series 1 is a wrap. Really nice finish with Rose going all kinds of sci-fi on those nasty Daleks. I was sad to see Eccleston go so quickly, thought he and Billie Piper had good chemistry, and was looking forward to seeing their growing attachment and relationship blossom. I expected this sooner or later since I was aware of the regeneration thing but didn't expect it this soon. It'll be weird seeing a new actor playing the same part but in a different way, I anticipate that Rose will be going through the same issues! We'll have the same struggle. Thankfully the show itself so far is reason enough to continue watching. Now if we can find a way to get rid of that dreadful Ricky.....er....Mickey.

Oh well, on to the second series!

Don't forget to watch the christmas special before the season 2 premiere!

You can follow the wikipedia list to make sure you don't miss anything

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials#Ninth_Doctor

Of key note is that there's a special that should be watched in the middle of season 7

I've watched from "Rose" through the middle of Season 7 since September 30 on Netflix, including all of Torchwood, and I don't think Netflix missed anything important. Just the webisodes and other short BBC exclusives that are difficult to find but that's okay. The Christmas specials were where they needed to be, and all of the Tenth Doctor's specials were there too. Three of ago when I watched these the first time, Planet of the Dead wasn't included. That's kind of an important episode if just for the last five minutes.

Yea, I'm sure netflix had everything in proper order. Nevermind!

Netflix doesn't have The Night of the Doctor[/], or at least didn't when I did my binge watching. Threw me straight into The Day of the Doctor, and I still haven't seen Night.

It's kinda important since it explains the original of the War Doctor.

And for fans its special because the Eight Doctor

I was a bit confused at the beginning of The Day of the Doctor. It definitely felt like I'd missed something, even if I only found out later that I really had.

Yes, but for me he appeared out of nowhere. With the Eighth Doctor appearing in Night, I imagine it makes a bit more sense.

...anyway, this whole discussion kinda derailed the season 9 talk. Any thoughts on Sleep No More? It seemed the plainest episode so far. Some potentially interesting ideas didn't go anywhere, so I imagine they're set ups for the next episode.

The past four episodes of Season 77 that I watched really put me to sleep. It's so dull between when something big happens and the final three when something else happens.

Season 77?! :lol: That's priceless, Woj! Really, though, what do you mean, here?

The past four episodes of Season 77 that I watched really put me to sleep. It's so dull between when something big happens and the final three when something else happens.

Season 77?! :lol:

With a show like this it's not outside the realm of possibility!

I'm finally into uncharted Doctor Who territory, season 8 and Deep Breath. Is Peter Capaldi always this bonkers? The woman likes him.

He gets better.