The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Up through "School Reunion". This was obviously a treat for long-time Doctor Who fans. I didn't get the full impact of it (I actually paused it and Googled some things about half-way through!) but I still felt affected by it through the acting and scripting. It gave serious weight to the inevitable fate of his companions and for the first time you get the sense that Rose is now understanding what happens when you fall in love with an immortal alien, the choices she will need to make, and the type of internal defenses The Doctor has needed to put up to guard his emotional vulnerability. Nothing lasts forever, even when you travel through endless time and space.

And now Mickey is going to be a regular for a bit? Ugh.

I'm finally starting to warm up to Tennant.

Glorious return for Lis Sladen to the world of Who. She was such a succes that they gave her a spin-off show.

I hadn't watched any of the old Doctor Who, but Sladen and Tennant made the connection work for me.

This is something Russel T Davies generally did better then Moffat. Bring back characters or aliens from the old show, but make them vibrant and relevant to a new audience.

I've got a problem with Clara as presented in the first episode of Season 8, Deep Breath.

In one of the last three episodes of the previous season, Clara mentions how she always recognizes the Doctor in each of his eleven incarnations, back to when he steals the TARDIS. Isn't it out of character that she has such a hard time accepting #12? Even Mickey the idiot had an easier time accepting a new regeneration.

Well they did lose track of what to do with her in Capaldi's first series, and she's usually either off doing other stuff, or there doing nothing relevant, or there trying to be active but getting antagonised by the Doctor. She's doing much better in the current one, though she's still far from how active she was when she was "special". I like her, but I don't mind that she's leaving.

I'm finally starting to warm up to Tennant.

All the modern Doctors are great in their own way, and I always needed a little time to adjust (or longer - took me a whole series with Smith). But Tennant in particular totally owns the role and is amazing in walking that fine line between exalted insanity and deep melancholy.

Mickey is great. I much prefer him to the later companion sidekicks.

Nah. When Rory appeared, I was afraid he'd be another Mickey, but fortunately he turned out to be a cool character.

Rose treated Mickey very badly by putting their relationship on hold every time she ran off with Nine or Ten. The way he always ran back to her for his unending neglect and being taken for granted was tiring. I'm sure Rose was worth it.

So Jenna Coleman ends her stint as the regular companion and is the longest serving one with 35 Episodes. (33 as Clara Oswald, one as a "fragment version called Clara Oswald and one as Oswin Oswald).

Karen Gillan is at number 2 with 34 Episodes, though she had only a wordless cameo in The Time Of The Doctor)

Billie Piper comes at third with a surprising 30 episodes, if you include the brief cameo in Partners In Crime. (She didnt technically play Rose Tyler in The Day Of The Doctor, but still...)

It's the first time a long standing companion has actually died in the new series. Though this will only be relevant if the character stays dead, which is never a given in this series.

The farewell scene was excellent. Both Coleman and Capaldi shined. The Doctor in his anger and rage, Clara in her acceptance and grace.

The rest of the episode actually didnt really live up to it.

It's a mystery episode that ended up not actually having a mystery, which kind of defeated everything that went on before.

As often under Moffat, it's "cleverness" sort of takes away from the emotional impact it could have had.

I thought that Amy actually spoke "raggedy man" as the hallucination in The Time of the Doctor...

Mummy on the Orient Express didn't disappoint in its throwback to Doctor Nine. Give the Doctor a mummy, he just has to ask it a question...

Mixed feelings about tonight's episode. the final (final) twist about the contract felt weak - like Moffatt needed a definitive reason not to remove the lock. And all a roundabout way of getting the Doctor out of the way? Not very impressive story-wise.

While the departure was effectively done, I found the music far from appropriate - who instructed Gold to use a guitar over such an emotional sequence? It didn't say sadness or 'farewell' to me at all. I would've hoped for some big statement of Clara's theme, but instead we get some generic strings.

It's the second major departure that's been far from perfect. Amy and Rory's exit was hampered by trying to get our heads around a very convoluted plot. I wish we could get another 'Rose', which I don't think will be beaten as a stunning companion exit.

Rose and Donna departed after saving the world or the universe. Amy went because she didnt want to be parted from Rory. Clara actually dies because she made an error of judgement....

if she did in fact die....

It's the second major departure that's been far from perfect. Amy and Rory's exit was hampered by trying to get our heads around a very convoluted plot.

Not just convoluted, stupid!

It doesnt make any sense. Amy and Rory get send back through time and The Doctor can never see them again...even though he has a time machine...

Yes I know the episode has something about the Tardis never being able to return to New York in 1938 because of the damage done to the temporal bla bla bla...

But what about 1938 in someplace that isnt New York? Or 5 years later?

Don't trap a person in time if you have a show about time traveling....

Wow, that was crushing.

This whole season was kind of strange to me. Just wasn't feeling most of it. Maybe Moffat fatigue? Or worse, Doctor Who fatigue?

And while the premise of this episode was a bit limp, that departure was noteworthy enough. It was dark though, and I'm a little disappointed in how it was done. Not sure it does the character justice. She was one of the finest and most charismatic companions the Doctor has had, and will be sadly missed. Though I have a feeling she'll pop up in the Christmas special or something.

Curious to see this darker Doctor come out more.

A moving end for the 'Impossible Girl' ... I'm not betting on the Doctor being able to stay non-angry and non-vengeful, tbh.

Apparently, next weekend's episode will be the first in Who history to feature only the lead actor for its entire runtime.

Brilliant episode, had it's silly bits and slightly convoluted too, but the acting was great and finally Murray Gold returns after hat seems like a hiatus from the last couple of episodes using tracked-in music. I'm sad Clara is leaving as I was starting to warm to her character.

While the departure was effectively done, I found the music far from appropriate - who instructed Gold to use a guitar over such an emotional sequence? It didn't say sadness or 'farewell' to me at all. I would've hoped for some big statement of Clara's theme, but instead we get some generic strings.

Didn't notice the guitar, but there was a wonderfully eerie variation on Clara's theme.

Really good episode, I thought. I don't mind the whole thing being a ploy to get to the Doctor (the series has *always* been about exaggerated schemes, not just under Moffat). It does hurt a bit that the big sacrifice comes down to Clara making a stupid mistake that was clear from a mile off, though it's not totally out of character I suppose - especially with the emphasis of her enjoying reckless stuff way too much earlier in the same episode.

Maisie Williams was good. And I know I'm repeating myself, but Capaldi is amazing this year.

What about last week's episode though? It didn't really have a proper ending, did it? And then, unexpectedly, it was the first this series not to be (recognisably) part of a two parter.

Last weeks' episode seems to be the Doctor Who variation of a found footage horror film, with a twist that supposedly means that the whole world/universe will be taken over by the Sandmen in the 38th Century.

There were some clever bits as always, but it wasnt very scary or mindblowing. And I didnt really care about any of the characters. Just you basic "base under siege" story.

That's why it seemed to me there's something about it that has to tie into the remaining episodes. Or perhaps it was just mediocre and I'm overthinking it.

Also, interesting to see Diagon Alley in the latest ep.

Yep, strong Harry Potter vibe in the last one.

I'm not sure at this moment what the point was of making The Street look "dickensian" like that. Since all the aliens etc had modern technology to mask their appearance and make then look human.

They still would have stood out because of the dated costuming etc....

Actually the longer I think about it the less I'm sure what the point of The Street actually is...

Can Peter Capaldi play The Doctor forever? Please? We just started Last Christmas, the final episode on American Netflix, and he's been awesome.

Eight seasons of Doctor Who and four of Torchwood, binged since 9/30. I'm burned out.

Up through series 3 episode 9, "Family of Blood". Wow, absolutely chilling ending.

Tennant's Doctor has completely won me over. The show has mastered the 2-parter.

"He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind..."

Screen_Shot_2015_11_27_at_3_20_35_PM.png

What are you thinking of the music?

Very effective!

Up through series 3 episode 9, "Family of Blood". Wow, absolutely chilling ending.

The next episode is, in my opinion, as close to perfect as possible (disclaimer: I've only seen it once, but that was my very definite impression). The rest of the series is necessarily downhill from there. Which isn't a criticism - I think the rest is great, too, it just seems nearly impossible to match or even come seriously close to Blink.

Now I just hope I haven't ruined it by ruining your expectations.

Tennant's Doctor has completely won me over. The show has mastered the 2-parter.

"He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind..."

Screen_Shot_2015_11_27_at_3_20_35_PM.png

What are you thinking of the music?

Very effective!

The end of this two-parter (with the Doctor and Martha at the Remembrance Sunday service pinning on their poppies and observing the old soldier who they'd helped saved from death on a WW1 battlefield) made me cry.

'NuWho' is quite good at that.

No, he wrote one of my other favs, "The Girl in the Fireplace". I believe he also wrote the one with the gas mask face thing. Good 2-parter.

Yep, Blink was his third (counting the Mommy two parter as one). Girl in the Fireplace is also one of the best episodes for sure. What makes Blink so exceptional, in my opinion, is that it can totally stand on its own. I actually think it would work just as well as a standalone film for people who don't know Doctor Who at all, thanks to the Doctor and Martha barely being active characters in it and Carey Mulligan's brilliant turn as Sally Sparrow (she would have made a fantastic companion). Well, that and the Back to the Future level genius of the time travel logic.

Also, "The Angels have the phone box" is my favourite quote from the whole series.

It was incredibly effective at creating terror and tension out of stillness and silence. Very well done in terms of writing and direction.

That was the second episode that I've seen so far that has used the main characters as a background or B-plot device. The other was "Love & Monsters" which was a cool deviation from the standard fare, and quite funny. It even had Moaning Myrtle, who I had never seen outside of Chamber of Secrets!

Well, that and the Back to the Future level genius of the time travel

There's a nice direct reference to BTTF in one of the episodes I watched recently where the Doctor explains something to Martha by recalling Marty McFly :lol:

I have also like that this 3rd series is still using Rose as a thread throughout, that they just didn't cauterize the wound. She was obviously very important to the Doctor, and it continues to show.

Just seen tonight's episode - wow. Typically inventive Moffatt storyline, an amazing solo performance by Capaldi, and one of the best episode scores I've ever heard from Gold. I hope the soundtrack has many selections from this. The monster was also genuinely scary; not just in its design, but in its slow movement.

The finale also looks better to be than whatever was going on with Missy. I never did understand what on earth was going on in last series' finale.

Intriguing episode. A bit of a variation on Nolan's Prestige. Not sure entirely what to think of it yet, all the hybrid stuff seems a bit baffling, but I'm confident the finale will put it in context.

I'm sure the score will get a large section of the soundtrack. Gold's most original since the beginning of the Capaldi reign I think.